• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow warbler or Prairie? Connecticut, USA (1 Viewer)

Barbie Heid

Photographer and critter lover
United States
Hello all! I'm stuck on an ID. This little guy/girl was flitting about (flew like a finch) in short, dense scrub on the banks of a fresh-water lake in coastal Connecticut. It was a little smaller than a sparrow, and I couldn't narrow down a call as there were other birds around. I should note it was in the company of a bird the same size but completely light gray. I think it's a yellow warbler or a juvenile Prairie warbler, but I'm confused, especially by the feet (aren't juvenile's feet usually pink?). Thanks! 094 neo.jpg signature.jpg

Last edited:
Sadly, this is not a way to identify birds - it will lead to all sorts of problematic conclusions. Even less is it a way to learn how to identify birds. You need a field guide - preferably a book, but even an app such as Merlin would be far better than Google.
Yes, you're right: too confusing and more often than not inaccurate. I'm using Peterson's Eastern edition field guide, and to me, that's equally as confusing. With it, you have to have a basic idea of what type/family it's in and I don't. What I do find a little useful is an app called BirdNet, a call identifier. That way I can look in the field guide, as I do have at least a ballpark idea. Not always foolproof, though: it identified my cat as a Canadian Goose! 🤣 Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back