• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet another Duck ID on Lake Ontario, December 27 (1 Viewer)

Hi All,

I spent a productive four hours at Humber Bay Park on Lake Ontario in Toronto on December 27 and saw no less than 15 species of waterfowl (22 species of birds overall). Being a relative newcomer, I was, of course, over the moon. But I'm thinking perhaps I saw a 16th species and was hoping for assistance in identification. I got this distant view showing a couple of female Goldeneyes on the right, a Mallard in the foreground and a Redhead in the background. Flanking the Redhead are two I don't think I've seen before with their tails poking straight up. My best guess from my reading, is that they're both Ruddy Ducks -- a non-breeding male on the left and and a female on the right. Would you agree?

Best regards,
---Norm

Attachments

• IMG_8610-small.jpg
    IMG_8610-small.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 25
  • closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 25
You are correct about the Ruddy Ducks, but the bird in the center is Canvasback, not a Redhead.
Interesting! It does seem like there's only a bit of contrast between the shades of the back and flanks.

Another shot with a female Scaup emerging from the depths.

Attachments

• 2nd.jpg
    2nd.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 7
Yes, Canvasback rather than Redhead. The overall shape of the two is a bit different, even at rest like this with Canvasback having a more sloped back to hind end. And being so (almost) clean white, rules out Redhead as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back