• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet another request for advice on scopes (under £200) (1 Viewer)

Factor

Neil Randon
Hi everyone

My birthday is coming up and my wife wants to buy me a scope. Hard offer to refuse, but our budget is around £200 - this is also to include a tripod and an adaptor for a camera. I've had a look around and I've managed to narrow the options down to a Celestron Ultima 80, a Hawke Nature-Trek 20-60 x 80 or compact Hawke Nature Maksutov 25-75x70 (which is very cheap). Any views on these options, or have you any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Neil (aka Factor of Randon's Ramblings blog)

Hi everyone

My birthday is coming up and my wife wants to buy me a scope. Hard offer to refuse, but our budget is around £200 - this is also to include a tripod and an adaptor for a camera. I've had a look around and I've managed to narrow the options down to a Celestron Ultima 80, a Hawke Nature-Trek 20-60 x 80 or compact Hawke Nature Maksutov 25-75x70 (which is very cheap). Any views on these options, or have you any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Neil (aka Factor of Randon's Ramblings blog)

Hi Neil,

Go down the second-hand route, you'll get a lot more for your money. You may be better off just buying a scope and tripod for now and leaving the camera adaptor for later when you have saved a bit more money.
Unfortunately £200 isn't a lot of money when scopes are concerned. If I were you I'd get the best scope I can afford, get a cheap tripod with the intention of upgrading it a soon as I can afford to and then sort out the camera adaptor last.

Check out the for sale forum and try putting a post in the wanted forum.

Having said that, if you definitely want new gear, I have read a lot of good things about the Celestron Ultima scopes but I have never tried them myself. And you could probably get an 80mm one and a Velbon tripod for £200. i doubt you'll get a camera adaptor too for that price though.

Best wishes
Martin

Agreed - for that budget, you're much better off looking secondhand. I'd scrap the camera adapter idea as well - if you try to get everything you'll compromise on everything, and only end up replacing it all.

I was more than satisfied with the optical and build quality of the Celestron Ultima 65 I had at one point. Don't expect high end performance but it is certainly worth the $90 or so that they can be found for these days. I think the 80 mm was around $140 US if I am not mistaken. The ED versions of those two were/are absolute steals for what they sell for. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Celeston Scope

Hi Neil,

Go down the second-hand route, you'll get a lot more for your money. You may be better off just buying a scope and tripod for now and leaving the camera adaptor for later when you have saved a bit more money.
Unfortunately £200 isn't a lot of money when scopes are concerned. If I were you I'd get the best scope I can afford, get a cheap tripod with the intention of upgrading it a soon as I can afford to and then sort out the camera adaptor last.

Check out the for sale forum and try putting a post in the wanted forum.

Having said that, if you definitely want new gear, I have read a lot of good things about the Celestron Ultima scopes but I have never tried them myself. And you could probably get an 80mm one and a Velbon tripod for £200. i doubt you'll get a camera adaptor too for that price though.

Best wishes
Martin

There was a 2nd hand one on the for sale forum a few weeks ago.

Phil

Hi Neil, if I was in you situation I would buy an Opticron. Which ever scope ou buy always look through one before you buy as you may regret you purchase.

Kevin(KPD)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back