• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

YLG - North East Poland (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

I saw this bird earlier today.. I'm pretty sure I finally managed to find a real YLG :)

Leg-colour looks correct
No stripes on the head in wintertime
Clear black mark on P5..

Correct?

Attachments

• YLG.jpg
    YLG.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 45
  • YLG1.jpg
    YLG1.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 45
do you have an underwing shot of this bird, AGDK? the only way to conclusively rule out a (much more common) Caspian Gull here. Bill and eye give rather a cachinnans impression. And if I'm not mistaken, p10 tongue in the far (left) wing looks rectangular at its end.

Great, thanks for confirmation..

Finally I managed to find one around here.. :)

Can you point of more detailed, what makes the underwing important, since I don't see this as a point of decision making in my bird guide..

AGDK, look at the white tongue on the underside of p10 (outermost primary). It's the white part at the base of the inner web of the feather. In YLG it is short and rounded, in Caspian Gull long and rectangular ended, at least its border line towards the inner edge of the feather is ~90°.
I have drawn the border of that tongue of an average adult Caspian Gull into your YLG-pic, with red. And attached the wingtip of a typical Caspian Gull. There is some degree of variation in wingtip, some have more, some less white but tongue length in (adult) cachinnans usually is at least half of the visible feather or more.

Attachments

• YLG2.jpg
    YLG2.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 5 2007.05.29 Sfantu Gheorghe Katrin Zickendraht wing.jpg
    5 2007.05.29 Sfantu Gheorghe Katrin Zickendraht wing.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back