• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (76 Viewers)

Best wishes for the new year to one and all. B :)

One mystery bird not sure what it is and frustrating not to be able to get closer Thought Kestrel at first but not sure anyone got any ideas?

And for John Bullfinch have a look at my blog http://zingsldv.blogspot.co.uk/

Bewicks are on the way down last seen south of Durham.

With Rusty coloured plumage and pointed black tipped wings, I think you're right first time with Kestrel Zing.....

Cheers Jay

Cheers John
Guess not worth submitting,though havinr read up on subject,seems even the call is being brought into dispute as a reliable indicator.

Suppose will have to let go....chiffchaff sp, undetermined race!!

Thanks again

Paul

Out of interest there are some good pictures of what looked to me in the field to be a classic Siberian Chiffchaff near Retford here;

http://birdguides.com/iris/pictures.asp?r=0&rty=0

I was at the site at retford where the firecrest, lesser whitethroat, chiffchaff and siberian chiffchaff were around. Got the first 3 eventually but not the sibe. There was/is a very showy one at the buff bellied pipit site.

Launch event for Sheffield Bird Study Group's new Breeding Atlas is on 22nd January:

The eagerly awaited launch of the Group's new Breeding Atlas will take place on Wednesday 22nd January at 7.30 p.m. in the Jessop West Exhibition Space at the University of Sheffield. The venue is on Leavygreave Road, opposite the Henderson's Relish building and 100m W of St George's church. Professor Tim Birkhead will present the Atlas, with contributions too from David Wood and Richard Hill, the co-editors. This will be followed by an opportunity to obtain a copy (£20) over light refreshments.

My first thoughts too; e.g. has comparable work been done across the range of say Yellow-legged Gull or the Lesser Black-backed group? How relevant call is to speciation in gulls is also a moot point; a very different call (and call posture) doesn't prevent Caspian Gull freely hybridizing with Yellow-legged and Herring Gulls for example. However I'm certainly keeping an open mind on this and think this could, at least potentially, be a fascinating new line of enquiry.

Last edited:
Judging by the pics on Scarborough Birders fb I'd say they are reliable. Virtually daily since the 4th according to their website near the church.

I'm not familiar with the area so the map is a bit of a guess :smoke:

Couldn't get on here yesterday when I tried but thanks for this, should have thought to check that site. Going for an east coast run tomorrow so I'll try for them if they are reported today.

I personally don't think its providing clear evidence either way yet (for the reasons i noted above, and as the author concedes, the very small sample size). However, as I say, its an interesting line of enquiry.

If I read another paper about mtDNA I will thcream and thcream. Can I swap all my Redpolls and Crossbils for a small Canada Goose?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back