• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (76 Viewers)

Bittern, Tophill Low, North Marsh, 28/1/14

More pics to be added to the blog later

Attachments

• 28-01-14Bittern07THL.jpg
    28-01-14Bittern07THL.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 117
It's basically a race of Mealy or Common Redpoll. Also known as Greenland or Iceland redpoll, but the two are so difficult to separate (if indeed they are separable!) that they're jointly known as North Western Redpoll. The only redpolls reported at Fairburn this year have been Lessers. As you value your sanity, stay away from the redpoll complex!

Excuse being a thicko (?) but NW Redpoll....? :eek!: I've tried looking in my Collins but...........
Sorry but is it too much to ask to put full names...? :t:
Cheers Jay

The NW (or North-Western if you prefer) is a generic prefix (though not used as such by e.g. UK400 club), hence my abbreviation here (and in the Birdguides report). It conflates rostrata from Greenland (and adjacent areas of the northern Canada) and islandica (obviously from Iceland). The former are generally not hard to identify (at least in fresh plumage) being essentially like a massive Lesser Redpoll; very big, brown, and streaky. Though not recognised as a valid taxon by all authorities Icelandic birds are another story entirely being very variable; some resemble rostrata, some resemble flammea (Mealy), and some (very closely) resemble exilipes (Coues' Arctic Redpoll), hence the request for specific details.

Last edited:
This post gives a flavour of the difference at least between rostrata (Greater/Greenland Common), exilipes (Coues'/Southern Arctic/Hoary), hornemanni (nominate/Greenland Arctic/Hoary) and flammea (Mealy/Southern Common); being taken in the New World cabaret (Lesser) is not included. Hopefully the utility of using scientific names is apparent; there are multiple common names abounding on both sides of the Atlantic.

http://www.sibleyguides.com/2011/02/four-redpoll-taxa-in-one-photo/

Last edited:
The taxonomy of Redpolls is vexing in the extreme. I'm pretty sure they will be re-lumped in the none too distant future and I will happily take Mealy and Arctic off my list.

I doubt this will prevent discussion of sub-species though

Last edited:
Still being looked for. Initial report appeared unconvincing (it was pouring with rain at the time and only one car was in the car park) but has now been established as being from a very reliable source. It was the big brown sort....

The NW (or North-Western if you prefer) is a generic prefix (though not used as such by e.g. UK400 club), hence my abbreviation here (and in the Birdguides report). It conflates rostrata from Greenland (and adjacent areas of the northern Canada) and islandica (obviously from Iceland). The former are generally not hard to identify (at least in fresh plumage) being essentially like a massive Lesser Redpoll; very big, brown, and streaky. Though not recognised as a valid taxon by all authorities Icelandic birds are another story entirely being very variable; some resemble rostrata, some resemble flammea (Mealy), and some (very closely) resemble exilipes (Coues' Arctic Redpoll), hence the request for specific details.

Phew...... glad I only asked what the initials NW stood for...;)
But thanks anyway for a well informed reply...from someone, who, at least, seems to know what he's talking about :t:
Cheers Jay

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back