• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (66 Viewers)

'Eeek', is that more indicative of japonicus or rubecens?

The gull/tip nexus is the point of no return I should think. Best combination this year; Kirwin Bros Offal Skip, Grimsby Fish Dock/Iceland Gull. Even better then sorting through the slurry drenched birds at Elsham.

Hi folks

got a call today to say that there is a female scaup/hybrid scaup at Rodley Nature Reserve. I managed to have a look at it as the reserve was closing and it looked like a scaup to me (mainly on head shape and diving jizz) although the bird was diving so much that it was very dark around its face and beak. I believe Barbara Murphy at the reserve got a photo of it earlier in the day when it was at rest and that the facial and beak identification is looking good.

Hi folks

got a call today to say that there is a female scaup/hybrid scaup at Rodley Nature Reserve. I managed to have a look at it as the reserve was closing and it looked like a scaup to me (mainly on head shape and diving jizz) although the bird was diving so much that it was very dark around its face and beak. I believe Barbara Murphy at the reserve got a photo of it earlier in the day when it was at rest and that the facial and beak identification is looking good.

here is Barbara's photo from this morning - you wouldn't believe it was the same bird

Attachments

• Rodley scaup - Barbara Murphy.jpg
    Rodley scaup - Barbara Murphy.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 163
Was there a Med Gull there Keith??
Couldn't find a Med gull Richard, although there were only maybe 80 -100 black-headed gulls and a couple of commons on G A Lake when I was there. The water on the small golf course over from Paul's Pond also held a good number of gulls but they were too far off to get good views of them.

ID please

A friend of mine sent me this for ID, I thought it was a Parrot Xbill, with a beak so large... Is it..... ?
Not sure of location until he replies....

Cheers Joe :t:

Attachments

• IMG_5402.jpg
    IMG_5402.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 175
A friend of mine sent me this for ID, I thought it was a Parrot Xbill, with a beak so large... Is it..... ?
Not sure of location until he replies....

Cheers Joe :t:

Certainly is. Some Parrot Crossbills seem to have smaller bills than you might expect but if anything this one is bigger! Another plus point is that it's feeding on Pine cones rather than Larch. Is it one of the Budby birds?

Blimey, that's a corker of a bill. The depth being roughly equal to the length gives a squarish appearance.

Although this article is over thirty years old, there are still some useful pointers (anyone remember black and white photos?)

Hiya, have any details emerged of the locality?
I am the friend of Joes. The bird was photographed on Budby common where Parrot Crossbills have been reported, there where several in the cone tree feeding, male and female, by no means did they all or any have a bill of this size, in fact some appeared to be no larger than Common, I assume that they will mix, but as stated they where not feeding in a Larch tree so maybe not. I have seen several pictures presented by others to me, which claim to be Parrot but bill appears to be quite small. I always prefer to be sure before the box is ticked or as my friends say you want the all you can eat view.

Thanks

Mark.:eat:

Still being looked for. Initial report appeared unconvincing (it was pouring with rain at the time and only one car was in the car park) but has now been established as being from a very reliable source. It was the big brown sort....

A couple of guys at Fairburn Ings were arguing over this one on Tuesday but they only agreed to disagree. Personally I only noted it as a Common. Then I saw this thread............

Denis.

Attachments

• 1D3_0466.jpg
    1D3_0466.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 89
Thanks Camper. The bill size thing is a bit of misnomer; there is considerable age, sex, and individual variation. Without being able to measure the bill other things are more important; bill structure, head/body size ratio , and call. Currently the Budby flock do not appear to be mixing with Commons, I suspect all the birds noted here were actually Parrots. The tree species being used is also not definitive; Commons will feed on pine at times. Mixed sex flocks of Commons should be becoming less frequent by now as they in their breeding season, unlike Parrots which breed later.

A couple of guys at Fairburn Ings were arguing over this one on Tuesday but they only agreed to disagree. Personally I only noted it as a Common. Then I saw this thread............

Denis.

If there is any debate between it being a Mealy or a Greenland/rostrata then it seems very unlikely to be the latter. However this picture seems to show a Lesser (certainly not Mealy), do you have any pictures with other birds in the frame for size comparison? Or a shot showing the rump or undertail coverts? Also its been ringed, I 'd assume that when measured a rostrata would leap out.

Last edited:
PS the bill does look oddly big for a Lesser (at least at the longer end anyway), do you have a profile shot?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back