• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (70 Viewers)

I have done just that! Cheers for this,

I just want to find a few nice species, I am tempted to go to moorland to be honest, we do not get too much in essex.

Moorland expected species would be red grouse, dipper from my lacking knowledge, what else would you put up there as a typical species?

I will not hold my breath on a ringed ouzel.

Steve

You would need to be much further west to get ring ouzel, up in the dales really. Buzzard, meadow pipit, linnet are the ones I'd bank on seeing.

That is understandable, I remember seeing the red grouse up in cleveland, as you do.

I wonder what small birds the moors hold. Part of me wonders if I should just scope the sea to be honest. That or I could just boat trip from whitby and go for excellent pics of the gannets as they should be arriving in greater numbers soon.

Gannets at Bampton Cliffs

Have a look at Steve Race's work -www.steverace.com

I bought True love and it has pride of place in the living room.
I also met Steve at the Centre for Life here in Newcastle.

That is understandable, I remember seeing the red grouse up in cleveland, as you do.

I wonder what small birds the moors hold. Part of me wonders if I should just scope the sea to be honest. That or I could just boat trip from whitby and go for excellent pics of the gannets as they should be arriving in greater numbers soon.

Possibly saw a goshawk over the Chevin yesterday. Are they likely to be found here or is it more likely I saw a buzzard? It was quite high above the trees and I only had my eyes at the time and I couldn't follow it very far due to tree cover.

Coastal owls

Nice evening watching these!

Attachments

• barnowl38.jpg
    barnowl38.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 59
  • barnowl37.jpg
    barnowl37.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 63
  • seo20.jpg
    seo20.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 50
  • seo19.jpg
    seo19.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 108
Possibly saw a goshawk over the Chevin yesterday. Are they likely to be found here or is it more likely I saw a buzzard? It was quite high above the trees and I only had my eyes at the time and I couldn't follow it very far due to tree cover.

Buzzards are breeding less than 5 miles from the Chevin so I would bet it was a buzzard you saw, nearest gos would be about 60 -70 miles away

Buzzards are breeding less than 5 miles from the Chevin so I would bet it was a buzzard you saw, nearest gos would be about 60 -70 miles away

How far is Chevin from York? I have photographed a male at a site there, which was completely unexpected, but on reflection the habitat was suitable. Any conifers at Chevin?

Chevin probably 25 miles from York. Forestry commission plantations so mostly non-deciduous trees but is not as extensive an area as Wykeham. You are literally on the outskirts of Otley so there is plenty of traffic, dog-walkers etc through the area.

Red Legged Partridge pottering about in Burley Park LS4 this morning. Easily approached, which was a bit worrying. Made a change from the usual Red Wing, GS Woodpeckers and Goldfinch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back