• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (67 Viewers)

Went down to spurn tis pm, loadsa waders of various sorts at high tide on the river. Did a bit of seawatching - met Darren Ward whilst at it. A purp dropped in momentarily at darrens scope end but he was looking elsewhere so had the comical situation of him looking over the top of a good spurn bird without realising, only noticing when it called. Not long after i picked up a very showy little auk which alighted on the sea 25 yards out so we could get amazing views. I wandered down to the seawatch hide and saw 5 Snow Buntings drop in to scrub immediately. Went searching and almost trod on them. They flushed on to the beach - 4 females and a male. Got a bad photo to prove but i cant get my phone pics onto computer for some reason. Later on a wander produced singles of redwing and fieldfare. No Poms. Had a bizarre site of a big female Goshawk being harried down the point by a tiny male sparrowhawk. All this in twilight not 20 yards from me. Im getting good at twilight raptors :) Barn Owl at Patrington rounded off a pleasant and pleasing afternoon.

Went down to spurn tis pm. Had a bizarre site of a big female Goshawk being harried down the point by a tiny male sparrowhawk.

Gos is a Spurn mega - "The Birds of Spurn" lists only 6 records, the last in 1993. I'm sure Spurn birders would be interested to receive a description?

I couldn't resist returning to South Landing today armed with a small bag of seed. I only had 30 minutes to watch the feeders and take my parent's mut for a walk around the trail. Needless to say I failed in my mission to see the Brambling, attracting only about 10 Chaffinch, 2 Tree Sparrows, several Dunnock, a Robin and 2 fat Wood Pigeon. Didn't even manage any tits!
To make things worse I didn't have time to check the sea and missed the reported Slav. Grebe.
On a brighter note on returning the mut to my parent's house I spotted a Grey Wagtail on the roof. Thats the second time I've seen this bird in the garden in two years.

Thanks mate, I thought it was but wasn't 100%.
I'm crap at waders!!! Especially in winter when they all put on there light coloured fleeces!!!
hahaha
Cheers,
Michael.

Hey thinking of waders I am setting myself a challange! Over this coming weekend I intend to start at Spurn at first light and work the Humber down to Paul Holme Strays, to see home many different waders I can list and possibly shoot with the camera! If nothing else this prospect will keep me going until the weekend, as I am now going to work and home in the dark!!!

Me and my mate twitched 57 species that day, thought it was a good total.
We went to the Brigg, Filey Dams and Bempton on the way home.
Michael

Fairly new to Birding (bout a year) but always had an interest, Highlights...
Purple sandpiper and Snow bunting were lifers.
Lots of Siskins at Filey dams were nice too see, lovely birds.
Single Guillemot on the Brigg looked abit out of place!!!
There was also a dead one on the Brigg.
Long tailed duck also at end of brigg was a lifer.
And there were a few eiders about too.
Got a few pics too.
Camera not great tho.

Michael

Purple Sandpiper!!! It hasnt got a winter fleece on!!!

Purple is actually the away kit for these chaps. Unlike most waders they look snazzier, to my eye at least, in the winter. There's not a huge difference but home kit is splodgier and browner... http://www.hi.is/~yannk/myndir/diary/sa_calmar140707.jpg The bill and legs are brighter orange in winter, too.

Graham

PS - the photos on the trip thread are awesome, Marcus. How did the one of the auk and the purple sandpiper together come out? Can you email the full-res version of the group of six?

Purple is actually the away kit for these chaps. Unlike most waders they look snazzier, to my eye at least, in the winter. There's not a huge difference but home kit is splodgier and browner... http://www.hi.is/~yannk/myndir/diary/sa_calmar140707.jpg The bill and legs are brighter orange in winter, too.

Graham

PS - the photos on the trip thread are awesome, Marcus. How did the one of the auk and the purple sandpiper together come out? Can you email the full-res version of the group of six?

Not great Graham, both are out of focus! Will email you the picture shortly. Attahced is another of the surfing although I prefer the one I posted previously.

Attachments

• laukgang.jpg
    laukgang.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 82

Users who are viewing this thread

Back