• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (58 Viewers)

hi all!!

What were the highlights of the day?

hi all just registered on the site,thought id introduce myself!!

i was 'the mate' with mike jack82 and im pretty certain his highlight of the day was when i got my feet a bit wet on the brigg! friggin rock pool i was sure it was only a puddle (well it certainly didnt look about 5" deep!

3:)

Please could those who want a copy of the attached image PM me their email. If you indicate the size you are likely to print to then I can ensure the correct number of pixels to maintain quality in the image. I have also transfered to black and white as my missus for one thinks they are more arty!

Attachments

• laukspl.jpg
    laukspl.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 87
  • bw.jpg
    bw.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Lots of Siskins at Filey dams were nice too see, lovely birds.

Patch year tick 107 for me at the weekend - flock of 17 Siskins flying west and later on a party of 9 close-up feeding in some Alders. Lovely birds indeed.

No.108 for the year was Stonechat; only my second area record, so very much a mega and thus bird of the weekend.

Still no sign of any Woodcock but with one more visit planned still plenty of time...

Got caught in a most vicious hailstorm late aftenoon yesterday, the sort where it feels like your face is being cut to pieces. Erk!

Cheers,
Bob.

Badger watch?

I have access to a badger foraging area, where badgers have been feeding for a few weeks. I am proposing to the land owner that I lay down some food to feed them and I beleive he will accept. I also have accesss to a stable which overlooks the area and it is heated to boot.

I imagine this may be of interest and wanted to get a guage of interested numbers if we were to agree an evening to watch the badgers feeding.

Any takers?

I have access to a badger foraging area, where badgers have been feeding for a few weeks. I am proposing to the land owner that I lay down some food to feed them and I beleive he will accept. I also have accesss to a stable which overlooks the area and it is heated to boot.

I imagine this may be of interest and wanted to get a guage of interested numbers if we were to agree an evening to watch the badgers feeding.

Any takers?

The site is between Wetherby and Harewood, they have been feeding at all times, so obviously there would be no garuantee that we see them.

Went to Barmston and South Landing this morning (had unexpected morning/ early afternoon off as lectures cancelled. Nada at Barmston, the light westerlies meant that my sum total after 40 mins was gulls plus 1 Blackbird in off and 5 Common Scoter past and a distant cormorant and a distant group of 15 duck sp. (probably wigeon). No Auks. Went to South Landing as i thought it would be the best chance of getting anything in this weather. Had a massive Great Northern Diver drift past slowly over an hour period plus 20 or so Little Auks including one that started surfing only 5ms out. It soon pushed off but a Woodcock in off was a daylight tick for me. Also about were a few Knot, Sanderling, Ringos, Curlew, Bullfinch, Redwing and Siskin. Pretty good all said.

I'm after a hide clamp for my dad for christmas, can anyone help me with where i can get one from please.

Cheers,
Michael.

Michael,

Does he already have a tripod with a detachable centre column? If he does then you only need the G-clamp element of this, which is the set-up I got from In Focus.... http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/reviews_tripods.html Most g-clamps come with shims to fit different column diameters but you do need to check the right one is included.

You may get more info searching the tripod/heads subforum at http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=451

Graham

Hi All, don't you just hate dark nights? At work today started "day dreaming" about my plans for the weekend, so I pondered who will be out there doing what, so why not share your plans for the weekend! Mine starts on Friday and I am off wader hunting.

Hi All, don't you just hate dark nights? At work today started "day dreaming" about my plans for the weekend, so I pondered who will be out there doing what, so why not share your plans for the weekend! Mine starts on Friday and I am off wader hunting.

A friend of mine from the dark side (lincolnshire) is taking a guided walk around Covenham Res on saturday morning so I might pop along to that

I am visiting my folks who live in between Marshside RSPB and Martin Mere so lets hope I can jam in on some good birds - last visit to them in spring produced woodchat shrike! Target birds are raptors on the coast and will porbably work the dune system at Formby as it is pretty underwatched.

(appreciate I have to cross the Penines but I have no choice!)

no birding for me this weekend number 2 son is playing in a badminton tournament and I'm down to take him and officiate as a scorer.
I might be able to grab a couple of hours at Swilly on Thursday to make up for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back