• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (81 Viewers)

Agree with Steve....good field notes are best......digiscoped pics can be good (if you're lucky), indifferent (most of them) or bad ( the rest). Look on the digiscope forum....they talk of taking 100's of pictures for maybe a handful of decent ones.

Went down to Rodley today, still really slow down there. I can't really figure out why. There was a common sandpiper through, but that is the only wader I have seen down there for a month - what the f...

Did have a Rodley first - yellow wagtail so not all bad. There was also kestrel and g.s. woodpecker. On the main lagoon a couple of gadwall but overall not too overwhelming.

Finally had 40 swallows through south.

Keep up the thread guys!

Don't worry Marcus....I'll keep posting, problem is I can't get out birding as often as I would like. Last birding trip was the Filey one with you and Frank.
BTW how's the motor?

jimmy2faces said:
Went down to Rodley today, still really slow down there. I can't really figure out why. There was a common sandpiper through, but that is the only wader I have seen down there for a month - what the f...

Did have a Rodley first - yellow wagtail so not all bad. There was also kestrel and g.s. woodpecker. On the main lagoon a couple of gadwall but overall not too overwhelming.

Keep up the thread guys!

Not much to report but for the sake of the thread...

Thought I'd get up early and brave the rain for a walk around Flamborough Head this morning. With thoughts of Wrynecks and other migrants I dug out my waterproof trousers and arrived nice and early- about 7:30 am.

After walking for an hour or two along Old Fall hedge and the coastal path I didn't see anything unusual, apart from a distant skua sp. (very poor view in the rain- white wing cresents only detail) over the sea. Kestrel and small groups of House Martins kept me interested, along with large flocks of Goldfinch.

The few other birders I came across all confirmed that nothing 'rare' was
about.

The highlight of my walk came in the form of a beautiful Whinchat perched on top of some willow scrub near the golf-course- by far the best views I've ever had of the species.

On checking Birdguides when I got home, I was delighted to read that not only did I 'miss' a Yellow-Browed Warbler in the Plantation, I also walked passed a Pechora Pipit!
(not that I would have been able to identify the latter species in a million years).

Thats birding for you!

jimmy2faces said:

Keep up the thread guys!

Marcus, I'm still recovering from two tough but rewarding trips. Went over to Anglesey on Sunday and saw the Isabelline Wheatear. I found it a very tricky bird. I watched it for a few hours and never got familiar with it. I wasn't feeling too good, and the light was poor, but I got Wheatear blindness by the end and they all started to look the same. I must have been losing it a bit, because I thought I saw a Pelican as well! Seriously I enjoyed watching this old boy feed.

Yesterday I went for the Pallid Harrier. A twelve hour round trip - 5am to 5pm, Zombiefied by the time I got home, but reasonable views, although it appears to have shown better today - doh!

Both new for me, so very pleased.

Also new (for Loshpotts) was a juvenile Little Ringed Plover tonight which was nice.

Going for a lie down!

Hotspur said:
Good work, i take it the Izzy wasn't overly obvious!

No. As I say whether I was just having a bad day, but previously with really tricky species if you've been there a while, I find you can instantly pick out a bird as familiarity grows. However, when the Wheatears dispersed, I kept finding myself watching pale Northerns by mistake, before I got back on the Izzy. I was into the sun all the time which didn't help.

Quick visit to Loshpotts this morning:

8 Cormorant over
At least 6 Little Grebe
2 Wigeon
Pochard and Tufted numbers high - didn't count them
Large flock of Blach-headed Gull
Large mixed group of Canada and Greylag Geese
5 Teal
5 Coot
5 Lapwing
8 Red-legged Partridge
1 Tree Sparrow
4 Skylark
2 Pied wagtail
1 Hare
1 deer species? (no streaking or spotting, long-legged, very black and white mouth)
No sign of LRP

Lawts said:
1 deer species? (no streaking or spotting, long-legged, very black and white mouth)
No sign of LRP
Roe Deer? Almost fits the description, although don't really have long legs. They are the only species found around East Yorkshire- not sure about your neck of the woods.

Does anybody know good/recent sites for Raven in Yorkshire? Along with Osprey it is my Yorkshire bogey bird. Unlike Osprey though, as it breeds there is no excuse.

Thanks.

Its a ruff

Hotspur said:
Good work, i take it the Izzy wasn't overly obvious!

Bit random this - just looked at your blog - yes, your photo is a ruff, probably a female ("reeve"). I could not work out how to email you, so thought I would put it on here!

All the best,
Jono Leadley
www.indybirder.com

Lawts said:
Does anybody know good/recent sites for Raven in Yorkshire? Along with Osprey it is my Yorkshire bogey bird. Unlike Osprey though, as it breeds there is no excuse.

Thanks.

Steve,

I climbed Ingleborough on the hottest day in July, heading up from Clapham and past Gaping Gill. At Gaping Gill I watched a Raven down to about thirty yards before it flew off west. I din't see another person the whole way up, which may help as I believe they are very sensitive to disturbance.

I hesitate to call this a "good" site on the basis of one record, but if anyone else has encountered a Raven up there please post and we may be on to something.

Word of warning - it is a hike just up to Gaping Gill from Clapham, let alone up Ingleborough. I did a circuit from Ingleton so covered 15 or more miles - I don't suggest you do that on the off chance of a Raven!

If you can find another day like July 25th it would help. It was still warm enough to sunbathe at the top at 6PM, with a view out over the whole of Morecambe Bay - about as good as life gets!

Graham

bitterntwisted said:
Steve,

I climbed Ingleborough on the hottest day in July, heading up from Clapham and past Gaping Gill. At Gaping Gill I watched a Raven down to about thirty yards before it flew off west. I din't see another person the whole way up, which may help as I believe they are very sensitive to disturbance.

I hesitate to call this a "good" site on the basis of one record, but if anyone else has encountered a Raven up there please post and we may be on to something.

Word of warning - it is a hike just up to Gaping Gill from Clapham, let alone up Ingleborough. I did a circuit from Ingleton so covered 15 or more miles - I don't suggest you do that on the off chance of a Raven!

If you can find another day like July 25th it would help. It was still warm enough to sunbathe at the top at 6PM, with a view out over the whole of Morecambe Bay - about as good as life gets!

Graham

Thanks Graham. I've been meaning to do a walk around Ingleborough, so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Sounds like you had a good day.

Lawts said:

Thanks.
Often get them flying across the valley here where I live.

Geoff Pain said:
Often get them flying across the valley here where I live.

Thanks Geoff. I've heard the Settle area can be good. If I get up on the tops above Langcliffe I may stand a chance. :t:

jimmy2faces said:
Just had a peregrine from the office (well barn) window in sicklinghall flying into the valley. First of the winter.

Nice one. Peregrines are one bird I will never tire of seeing. My favourite place to see them is down in Essex where they hunt pigeons over the Thames industrial area. Even seen one from a traffic jam on the the M25!

skink1978 said:
Nice one. Peregrines are one bird I will never tire of seeing. My favourite place to see them is down in Essex where they hunt pigeons over the Thames industrial area. Even seen one from a traffic jam on the the M25!

cool, also on my way home so a dead badger, which was unexpected. a colleague told me she had nearly run one over too so must be some in the area, and I suppose dawn and dusk are nearer rush hour now.

jimmy2faces said:
cool, also on my way home so a dead badger, which was unexpected. a colleague told me she had nearly run one over too so must be some in the area, and I suppose dawn and dusk are nearer rush hour now.

One ran across in front of us on the road from Sicklinghall to Linton about 6 months ago. I've also seen them near Golden Acre Park. Apparently they follow the same trails most of the time so if you drive past the place where your friend saw one often enough you may get lucky.

Does anyone know whether New Swillington Ings is open to the public and, if so, how you get in?

Apparently there's a Great White Egret knocking around and so I may pop down at the weekend if it's still about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back