• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (71 Viewers)

New Swillington Ings is open to the public at weekends but only from the other side of the canal to the reserve. You can walk along the canal side but not cross over. The hide used to be locked, you could get the combination from any of the local birders who were around. I've not been down there for quite a while so have forgottewn the combination.

You've confused me a little there Keith. Do you mean there is a part accessible beyond the fence? I usually look in from the chain link fence or from close to the hide. Haven't used the hide in years because I'm usually on the bike, though when I did I felt as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit.

Not been for a while Chris....from Fleet Lane I used to walk along the canal side for about 100 yards going towards Astley Lake....can't remember there being a fence last time I went but quite feasible that one mayt have been put up. Know what you mean about the hide though....I only went in a few times...more conversation to be found inside a morgue than in there. Such welcoming folk they were...not.
From what I can gather the entire area is going to be part of the new RSPB St Aidan's reserve,they are developing at the old open cast site....they aim to be link up all the reserves along the valley in to one large super-reserve.

The lake where the old power station used to be would make a good part of a super reserve but the last time I went down there it resembled Beiruit. All kinds of junk and an overturned camper bus on the roadside, bit too close to some very dodgy areas.

You mean Skelton Lake......that used to be a good site. The pied billed grebe turned up there in the mid 90's....at that time you could drive a car around the lake and use it as a hide...got some good birds there. Sadly the jet skiers caused so much bother there that the access was blocked off for an awful long time. I only went once after that...didn't get more than 100 yards from my car before a couple of low-lifes put in an appearance and started to pay a little bit too much attention to the car...so I gave up and returned to the car before something went missing from it.
It would be nice if the RSPB plans include Skelton Lake but I think they stop by the Aberford road.

Keith Dickinson said:
You mean Skelton Lake......that used to be a good site. The pied billed grebe turned up there in the mid 90's....at that time you could drive a car around the lake and use it as a hide...got some good birds there. Sadly the jet skiers caused so much bother there that the access was blocked off for an awful long time. I only went once after that...didn't get more than 100 yards from my car before a couple of low-lifes put in an appearance and started to pay a little bit too much attention to the car...so I gave up and returned to the car before something went missing from it.
It would be nice if the RSPB plans include Skelton Lake but I think they stop by the Aberford road.

Be careful around Skelton Lake. Only one way in and out. I've heard reports of birders driving in, and there exit being blocked by vans containing blokes who.......let's just say they weren't there to conduct a wildfowl census, but were still keen to "borrow" your optics.

I can't remember the combination for Astley either but you can just about view from the bank or from outside the hide door - especially if you're dealing with a Gt. W. Egret.

I'm a member of the New Swillington Ings Bird Group, but only of a few weeks standing, so I'm not sure if I can/should advertise the hide code on here. I'm sure, though, that there will be plenty of people about and no trouble being let in if the egret hangs about. The report said it was on Astley Lake, and could therefore be viewed from anywhere on that bank anyway. If it moves on to St Aidan's, as I woudl have thought likely, it will be hard to see whatever - the Little Egret was on there for 3 weeks and I only had good views a couple of times - but the extra elevation of the hide might improve the odds - that said it faces the wrong way and you need a good powerful scope.

I'll be there at dawn tomorrow with my fingers crossed. I was gutted when I saw the news - at 11AM I had a last minute change of heart and drove straight past Fleet Lane and on to Fairburn for a change. So I traded being at the find of a Great White Egret for a WillowChiff and a Mallow Tit in the pouring rain!

I think it depends who is in the hide what the atmosphere is like. I've found two of the members very friendly and welcoming but others have been less chatty. But likely they are quiet rather than rude.

Maybe see a few of you down there. (I'm the giant with blond hair and a beard)

Graham

Hurray! GWE found at 0740 this morning, sailing past the sunrise, marvellous!. Although it cleared off fairly sharpish thereafter it might still be worth a look at Skelton Lake? I tried Leventhrope Hall but it was too foggy. Also had a Marsh Harrier through west before 9AM. A fine start to the day - sorry the GWE didn't hang around but I would think it'll turn up somewhere in Yorks or Lancs very soon.

Graham

No GWE for me today but a lunchtime walk around Golden Acre Park did give me nice views of greater spotted woodpecker, red kite and jays. What was even more noticeable was the absence of finch flocks....a solitary chaffinch rather than the flocks of greenfinch, chaffinch and linnets that I would normally see.

Hi Graham and Keith, how do you get access to Leventhorpe? When I've cycled past the vineyard the road that leads to Leventhorpe looks to be private with no public access.
Chris.

Chris-Leeds said:
Hi Graham and Keith, how do you get access to Leventhorpe? When I've cycled past the vineyard the road that leads to Leventhorpe looks to be private with no public access.
Chris.

You don't! Leventhorpe Hall and all its grounds are, it seems, very strictly private. The only views possible of Leventhorpe are from a raised platform on the north side of the canal, south side of the river at Woodlesford Lock, from which you can see most of the lake. Due to an ongoing dispute you will notice that the woman who owns the land has responded to the platform by erecting a fence to block viewing of the flood meadow. I haven't dared ask more!? (Access to Woodlesford Lock by car via Pottery Lane, or along the canal on a bike, obviously - To find the platform, cross the lock and head for the corner under the trees ahead of you and to your right - There's a New Swillington Ings Bird Group notice board nearby)

To be honest, the lack of close access to a lot of the recording area is frustrating. You do need a scope to see a lot of the area, but when you look at the species list the popularity and reason for persistence is obvious. By 9AM today I had Great White Egret, Marsh Harrier, Peregrine, numerous Pintail, Curlew, Snipe etc.. Not many places on the outskirts of Leeds you can see raptors, waders and wildfowl like you can down there. (And Marcus, I promise I'll be in Rodley next Wednesday!!)

BTW - It was very cheery and friendly in the Astley Lake hide this morning. Promise! And the Egret came back this afternoon after I had left - good luck to anyone that goes to see it - apparently when it was on St Aidan's yesterday it was well viewed from the Great Preston side near the dragline.

Wonder what's going on with the finches in Golden Acre Park, Keith? Is there a feeding area? Could it be trichomoniasis?

Graham

Thanks Graham, I believe I know where the board is, the last and only time I went down there it was a struggle to see anything and there was the added bonus of chavs on a motor bike causing problems. If the weather is any good on Sunday I'll be popping down to check out the whole area.
Cheers,
Chris.

Chris-Leeds said:
Thanks Graham, I believe I know where the board is, the last and only time I went down there it was a struggle to see anything and there was the added bonus of chavs on a motor bike causing problems. If the weather is any good on Sunday I'll be popping down to check out the whole area.
Cheers,
Chris.

Ah, Chavia motovelorius! An easy patch tick down there.

bitterntwisted said:
Wonder what's going on with the finches in Golden Acre Park, Keith? Is there a feeding area? Could it be trichomoniasis?

Graham

There is a feeding area...a few stumps of wood that have been stood on end. Sadly it looks like this area isn't cleaned down so there is a very strong possibility that it could be trich. Couldn't find anybody to have a word with on Thursday so will try again.

In today's Yorkshire Post the birdwatching column is saying that both LEO and SEO are being seen at Fairburn Ings....is this kosher gen or is the reporter on the whacky baccy?
Also I am playing host to a BF MOd next Sat 21st Oct...anybody got any suggestions for a birding trip in Yorkshire, and would you like to meet up there?
I've been looking at the tides and it'll be low tide at Blacktoft for most of the day which is where I had planned on taking her so probably not the best of locations.

Just got back from Fairburn. Had some excellent views of the cattle egret chasing insects in the wake of the highland cattle near lin dyke. Previous to this it spent half hour hiding in a ditch. By the time i left you could see it from a mile away as it sat in a tree. Excellente!

Hotspur said:
Just got back from Fairburn. Had some excellent views of the cattle egret chasing insects in the wake of the highland cattle near lin dyke. Previous to this it spent half hour hiding in a ditch. By the time i left you could see it from a mile away as it sat in a tree. Excellente!

I've just been there too!! Was in the tree when I left. what were you wearing??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back