• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (61 Viewers)

... so skink1978 you are probably right (or are there three Birds???)

It would be a first for me if I am correct! Just checked Birdguides and both the Hull bird and the one reported later at Scaling Dam had a little 2nd Winter White-fronted Goose that never left it's side. What are the chances of two different TBG's having the same mate?

I dunno the bill on the second picture looks longer and more coninuing with the head profile. Also the edges to the orange on the bill look more diffuse in the second photo whilst the first shows defined edges.

Also the tip of the bill on the right hand pic is marginally more hooked. Looking at the blown up pictures the orange on the left hand birds bill seems to extend to the nostril whereas it doesnt on the right hand pic. If either pic has been flipped for aesthetic value then this would render what im saying as useless.

I dunno the bill on the second picture looks longer and more coninuing with the head profile. Also the edges to the orange on the bill look more diffuse in the second photo whilst the first shows defined edges.

That's why i'm wondering if it's a different one.

Or maybe we've been looking at Bean geese for too long and they're all the same ;)

Spent today at Spurn, very very quiet, not a sniff of the "swallow" damn should have gone last night.

Spurn Birds:
whitethroats
Lesser whitethroats
Robin
Linnets
Goldfinches
Green finches
Blue tits
Great tits
Reed Bunting
Pied Wagtails
Mute Swan
Mallard
Little Grebe
Swallows
................................and that was about it!

Good luck for those getting up early in the morning! Hope your day is more productive than mine!

Also the tip of the bill on the right hand pic is marginally more hooked. Looking at the blown up pictures the orange on the left hand birds bill seems to extend to the nostril whereas it doesnt on the right hand pic. If either pic has been flipped for aesthetic value then this would render what im saying as useless.

I'd agree that the beaks are different and would say that even if one has been flipped the lower one is considerably more concaved towards the end than the other, different birds.

Attachments

• goosebeaks.JPG
    goosebeaks.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Had a nice day at J27, went looking for Wood Warbler but drew a blank. Anyway, 3 patch ticks this week with whitethroat, linnet and treecreeper bringing it up to 51 species YTD.

Attachments

• Treecreeper IMG_1624_1.jpg
    Treecreeper IMG_1624_1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 69
As Spurn was unproductive we headed to Bempton to see the sea birds...must have been over a 100 people there...took a couple of photos of Gannets, for no particular reason other than I think they are attractive birds..

Attachments

• nikonain.jpg
    nikonain.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 67
  • nikonain1.jpg
    nikonain1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 65
  • nikonain2.jpg
    nikonain2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 71
Spent today at Spurn, very very quiet, not a sniff of the "swallow" damn should have gone last night.

Spurn Birds:
whitethroats
Lesser whitethroats
Robin
Linnets
Goldfinches
Green finches
Blue tits
Great tits
Reed Bunting
Pied Wagtails
Mute Swan
Mallard
Little Grebe
Swallows
................................and that was about it!

Good luck for those getting up early in the morning! Hope your day is more productive than mine!

Hi David

My Brother and I were also at Spurn on Saturday. I was surprised at how quiet it was given the wind direction. The best birds we had were 2 Whimbrel and 16 Little terns up at Beacon Ponds, and a Cuckoo in the triangle! Oh, and 2 gannet flying south.......

Quite a bit of other wildlife though - Common Lizard, Hare, Roe Deer.

An enjoyable afternoon but where were the rarities???

Best wishes

John

Hi John, very quiet, I did get a fleeting glimpse of a Cuckoo at Sammies Point, but very quiet....Popped over to Blacktoft this afternoon, viewed a cracking adult Little Gull, and very little else, Over to Hornsea for the Black Tern, viewed from a distance, nice bird, missed the Wood Warbler. Will wait with anticipation for the "Tykes" report, hope they have had a good day.....

Went down to the Strid today-nice views of a Chiffchaff plus a Kingfisher fishing by the side of the river.

Also a completely unidentifiable bird-looked like a pipit in build, up a tree, but with speckling extending all over its breast-could not find a match in the Collins guide. Definitely not a thrush.

Turtle Dove

Just seen this in my garden in Ilkley. Wife completely unimpressed, so I thought I'd let some people know who'd at least understand my excitement.

Cheers,
Paul

Attachments

• Turtle Dove 7.jpg
    Turtle Dove 7.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 86
That's a superb garden bird, Paul! Tell your wife we are all very impressed and very jealous.

Graham

Indeed, tell her we'd all love to see a Turtles head popping out in our garden.

On second thoughts don't. Sorry for lowering the tone it has been a long day and the Semillon is too nice.

I'll get me coat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back