• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (71 Viewers)

Hi all.
I wonder if anyone has any information as to good birding sites in North Yorkshire, particularly around the Malton area? My aunt and uncle live near Malton, and the possibility has arisen that I may be able to stay up there for the weekend. Particular target species would be Red (and if possible Black, although I know the sites are sensitive) Grouse on the moorland. Any information on Crossbill sites would also be appreciated.

I have birded a few places up there in winter (Castle Howard Lake, for example) as well as the east coast (Flamborough, Filey etc) in autumn, but I have no experience of the area in summer.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks
Joe

Hi all.
I wonder if anyone has any information as to good birding sites in North Yorkshire, particularly around the Malton area? My aunt and uncle live near Malton, and the possibility has arisen that I may be able to stay up there for the weekend. Particular target species would be Red (and if possible Black, although I know the sites are sensitive) Grouse on the moorland. Any information on Crossbill sites would also be appreciated.

I have birded a few places up there in winter (Castle Howard Lake, for example) as well as the east coast (Flamborough, Filey etc) in autumn, but I have no experience of the area in summer.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks
Joe

What's your range? Let me know and I'll factor into response.

Very enjoyable, but was optimistically expecting to see all those favourites I can't see at home: GS Woodie, Yellow Wag, Marsh Tit and Nuthatch. Dipped on all of them, which is embarassing! Treecreeper yes, Grey Wag yes, Coal tit yes. but I can see those anytime.

I'll be back about the same time next year. Any tips on where to go on a little day trip from Wakefield? With special emphasis on the above species?

Andrew,

If no-one knows anywhere closer (and there may not be any as they are not common anywhere) Nidd Gorge woods at Knaresborough are good for Marsh Tit. GSW are common in any even partially wooded habitat and all sites in and near Wakefield have them. Nuthatch strangely local and much less widespread than in the south. Bradford and Leeds have them and they've spread up to Ilkley and Harrogate but still rare east of here (they are common at Nidd Gorge, BTW, and in my garden) Yellow Wagtail much commoner in the east - Spurn is great but a very very long trek from Wakefiled - I don't know a reliable site near Wakefield.

Graham

If it's a year before you're back over I'd say stick a post here about a week or so before you arrive and we can sort something out.

Joe, is it this weekend you are in Malton or some time over the summer?

Did a little bit of self-analysis on my Yorkshire list dips since I started to get serious on the Yorkshire list (allegedly) in the last four and a half years. It got me looking as I've recently bumped off two long standing birds - Golden Oriole and Osprey.

I'm still rather disappointingly averaging roughly two dips of tickable species per year.

Since 2004 I've dipped/not attempted the following tickable species:

1) Stone Curlew - dipped what turned out to be an untickable one, not this tickable one
2) Dartford Warbler
3) Cetti's Warbler - dipped three times at Worsborough
4) Nightingale - dipped this year
5) Serin
6) Purple Heron - dipped by ten minutes
7) Storm Petrel
8) Black-throated Thrush
9) Spotted Sandpiper
10) Chimney Swift (if accepted) - dipped

I've not counted Quail, unless anyone wants to contend that some have been tickable.

In summary, far too many dips for someone who's supposedly an active lister.

2008 mid-term report "could do better"

Hi Joe

The moorland public footpaths around Goathland should give you a chance of red Grouse. Dalby Forest and the forestry commission woods at Yearsley have Crossbill I believe. Not sure about black grouse near Malton - I think you have to head up much further north

HTH

Mark

... good birding sites in North Yorkshire, particularly around the Malton area? My aunt and uncle live near Malton, and the possibility has arisen that I may be able to stay up there for the weekend. Particular target species would be Red (and if possible Black, although I know the sites are sensitive) Grouse on the moorland. Any information on Crossbill sites would also be appreciated.

At this time of year you could do worse than go for a drive around the back roads of the Wolds in the evening (e.g. around Sledmere) - could see several different Barn Owls in an hours drive. Little Owl also fairly likely - keep your eyes on the telephone posts.

Cheers,
Bob.

Steve, I can't say how reliable the reports were but birdguides had dartford warbler at Swilly a few years ago. Maybe someone knows better.
Did my timed tetrad visit this AM and was pleased with the results, used the voice recorder on my mp3 player to make it easier but have managed to lose all my music on it. Gutted but the disk space is still used up so maybe it's still there hiding.
The one pleasing aspect is that I have finally nailed lesser whitethroat (doesn't sound like I expected (Rspb recording)) and garden warbler, ok not special but they make the life list at last.
Chris.

At this time of year you could do worse than go for a drive around the back roads of the Wolds in the evening (e.g. around Sledmere) - could see several different Barn Owls in an hours drive. Little Owl also fairly likely - keep your eyes on the telephone posts.

Cheers,
Bob.

A drive from along the Brid to York road produced both Little Owl and Barn Owl sat on fences close to Driffield the other ay.

Thanks for the responses. Lawts, the limit of my transport is probably maximum one hours drive from Malton, although if there are any particularly good sites, maybe an hour and a half.
Thanks
Joe

Hi Joe

The moorland public footpaths around Goathland should give you a chance of red Grouse. Dalby Forest and the forestry commission woods at Yearsley have Crossbill I believe. Not sure about black grouse near Malton - I think you have to head up much further north

HTH

Mark

Black Grouse in Arkengarthdale in the Yorkshire Dales to be precise. See Yorkshire Birding No.8 Volume 4 (page 136) for article by John Hewitt on this subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back