• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (69 Viewers)

At this time of year you could do worse than go for a drive around the back roads of the Wolds in the evening (e.g. around Sledmere) - could see several different Barn Owls in an hours drive. Little Owl also fairly likely - keep your eyes on the telephone posts.

Cheers,
Bob.

If you're going on the Wolds then Wharram Percy is a good site for Marsh Tit. They breed in the bush/tree lined valley along the stream, alongside the small conifer plantation. They also breed in Dalby Forest (N York Moors, west of Scarborough).

Complete lack of Starling today. Was on site for a couple of hours this morning and checked the whole village. The Common Starlings seemed to be commuting to and from a wood about 2km away so it may have been hidden in their but the photos I saw were of a very wet adult so maybe it perished.

There's a piccy on the Hull Valley site -> Wet n' Rosy

Cheers,
Bob.

Is this a willow tit

Can you tell me is this a willow tit or a marsh tit thanks Phill

Attachments

• Willow Tit at Foxglove Covert (1).jpg
    Willow Tit at Foxglove Covert (1).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Phill
No way on that photo would I want to call it as a deffo. Using Poeciles tips looks more like a willow than a marsh...no pale area on bill or pale edge to mandible. As we can't see wing coverts or see neck area other clues are not available.

just occurred to me you may not know the thread so here's the link

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=107725

Last edited:
As Keith says, that photo isn't easy at all - the cheek colour is all burnt out and to me the other features are contradictory. Try posting in the ID Q&A where Poecile will hopefully pick it up. It might be ID-able from the tail feathers if it can be aged first but that's beyond my expertise.

Graham

Went for a long walk round the deer park at studley royal. Watched kestrel and GSW bring food to their nests in the oaks above the stream. Further into the park watched a Little Owl hunting for worms of all things. Took some photos using bins and a mobile phone, talk about cutting edge digiscoping.

mark.

As Keith says, that photo isn't easy at all - the cheek colour is all burnt out and to me the other features are contradictory. Try posting in the ID Q&A where Poecile will hopefully pick it up. It might be ID-able from the tail feathers if it can be aged first but that's beyond my expertise.

Graham

It's a Willow. You can tell from the bill alone, but also from what you can see of the cheek (looks good for Willow). Underparts on the warm and fluffy side too = good for Willow.

Poecile's dead, by the way. Got taken by a Sparrowhawk.

Obviously a good time for finding owls, was watching a SEO in the Huddersfield area at 9:45 this morning, Little Owl at another site this afternoon. Little owls normally feed off insects including earth worms as do Tawny Owls.

Was volunteering at Old Moor today, doing guided walks, and half way through the first one a spoonbill turned up! Added a nice little star attraction to the end of the walks.

It was still there when I left at about 3.30pm, anyone else seen it?

Hi all

I'm in Aberdeen on a course for a couple of weeks in August and was wondering if there was anywhere not too far away I could get to for Osprey/Golden Eagle..just a thought might as well try get somewhere while i've made the long journey

thanks

Chris

Hi all

I'm in Aberdeen on a course for a couple of weeks in August and was wondering if there was anywhere not too far away I could get to for Osprey/Golden Eagle..just a thought might as well try get somewhere while i've made the long journey

thanks

Chris

Dunno mate???

Hi -

Was visiting Wakefield for a festival this weekend and just had a couple of hours spare to try some birding; about 2 hours in NewMillerDam and another two by the canal in Denby Dale.
Very enjoyable, but was optimistically expecting to see all those favourites I can't see at home: GS Woodie, Yellow Wag, Marsh Tit and Nuthatch. Dipped on all of them, which is embarassing! Treecreeper yes, Grey Wag yes, Coal tit yes. but I can see those anytime.

I'll be back about the same time next year. Any tips on where to go on a little day trip from Wakefield? With special emphasis on the above species?

Thanks!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Nuthatch - surprised you did not get one at New Miller Dam - they are down there - Ive even seen them on the popular lake circuit - keep trying.
A place Ive had a lot of success for Nuthatch is Nostell Priory - about 20 mins drive from Wakefield, you have to pay to park in the 'parkland' but check out the area near the lake furthest from the car park. You should also get Kingfisher in the same area and GS Woodpecker is a defo possibility.

GS Woodpecker - try Cannon Hall (15 mins from Wakefield) near the cricket pitch, or as I think someone else has said - Pugneys - check out the area near the hide next to a small wood.

Yellow Wag - its luck - if your here April or May time along the canal is a good a place as any, a few were on Pugneys this year.

Marsh Tit - first Ive seen for a number of years was at Fountains Abbey last year - this is about an hour away from Wakefield.

Good luck

John.

Dipping is my hobby!!!

Hi all

Just back from seeing five Hoopoes..........but not in Yorkshire......been on me hols and I am just checking my e-mails.

I must just mention that everytime I am unable to get out birding or I am away on holiday, a magic weekend of birds occur. I will let you know when I am away next so you can all book yourself in at Spurn etal...........!

Well, as we all know, you never know what will turn up tomorrow........

Wykeham

For you guys who are planning to visit Wykeham on the 29th for HB, confirmation that they are back in location. Two birds seen yesterday one of which was displaying. Best of luck.

Mick.

Hi Andrew,

Nuthatch - surprised you did not get one at New Miller Dam - they are down there - Ive even seen them on the popular lake circuit - keep trying.
A place Ive had a lot of success for Nuthatch is Nostell Priory - about 20 mins drive from Wakefield, you have to pay to park in the 'parkland' but check out the area near the lake furthest from the car park. You should also get Kingfisher in the same area and GS Woodpecker is a defo possibility.

I visited Nostell Priory last year (with some friends, not birding) and I was pretty peeved about the charges. A friend has National Trust membership so parking was free as was the entry for them. I was charged almost a fiver just to enter the grounds and it was rubbish. Save your money and go somewhere else.

We,re planning a trip to Spurn next weekend (do we need passports;)?) and would be awa the moon if anyone could give us some local info regarding the best places, times, parking, local beer,etc (anything that would make the trip a bit more special, really!)
Thanks in advance and look forward to maybe bumping into one or two of the local birders.

Regards

MICK

We,re planning a trip to Spurn next weekend (do we need passports;)?) and would be awa the moon if anyone could give us some local info regarding the best places, times, parking, local beer,etc (anything that would make the trip a bit more special, really!)
Thanks in advance and look forward to maybe bumping into one or two of the local birders.

Regards

MICK

You'll want to go to Beacon Ponds, just up the road from Spurn. It's lagoons with breeding terns and waders etc. On the point itself, you have to pay to get onto it in a car (about 3 quid), but it's free on foot (although it's a 3 mile walk to the tip). Birds can turn up anywhere on the point, and it's all one long hot spot. But then it can also be totally dead! You can park wherever you're not in the way, but be aware that there's a lifeboat station at the end of the point so park sensibly. There's plenty of lay-bys etc.

There's a decent pub just up the road in Kilnsea, Crown & Anchor, which does nice food. There aren't any local breweries, so the beer is pretty much your standard Yorkshire stuff. The pub garden also attracts birds too.

If you want decent pubs and cheap places to stay, try Hull. It has some very good ale pubs (Ye Olde White Harte, Ye Olde Black Boy, New Clarence, lots more) and is 40 mins from Spurn. And if you head to Hull from Spurn pop in at Paull Holme Strays, which gets lots of waders etc. Google all these places for directions.

You'll want to go to Beacon Ponds, just up the road from Spurn. It's lagoons with breeding terns and waders etc. On the point itself, you have to pay to get onto it in a car (about 3 quid), but it's free on foot (although it's a 3 mile walk to the tip). Birds can turn up anywhere on the point, and it's all one long hot spot. But then it can also be totally dead! You can park wherever you're not in the way, but be aware that there's a lifeboat station at the end of the point so park sensibly. There's plenty of lay-bys etc.

There's a decent pub just up the road in Kilnsea, Crown & Anchor, which does nice food. There aren't any local breweries, so the beer is pretty much your standard Yorkshire stuff. The pub garden also attracts birds too.

If you want decent pubs and cheap places to stay, try Hull. It has some very good ale pubs (Ye Olde White Harte, Ye Olde Black Boy, New Clarence, lots more) and is 40 mins from Spurn. And if you head to Hull from Spurn pop in at Paull Holme Strays, which gets lots of waders etc. Google all these places for directions.

All the info we needed and a swift reply, thanks for that. If you're really unlucky you may bump in to us, we'll be the cluless looking ones(mind you Ross has got a posh new pair of bins:-O) with the dodgy accents/ haircuts etc.

Kindest regards

MICK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back