• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (78 Viewers)

East Park...

Had a run round park today with my Dad during my extended Lunch Hour.
A really good session, 41 species in all.
Redpolls, Pintail, Teal, Treecreeper, Cormorant, Goosanders, Sparrowhawk, Redwings, Greenfinches and a Coal tit were the highlights.

Thanks to everyone for the info on the ducks and Redpolls, much appreciated...

Shit pics...

Attachments

• DSCF5041.jpg
    DSCF5041.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF5056.jpg
    DSCF5056.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Following all the talk of the waxwing invasions, i managed to track down the solitary bird in strensall, york. Drove round for half an hour on the local estate twitching at anything remotely waxwing sized and drawing funny looks from the local postman.

Mark.

Decidedly unimpressed with this twitching malarkey. Found waxwings on five occasions so far this year. Maximum flock size was 20 birds but I love watching them in big flocks so drew a blank with the Leeds 250 at the weekend and on a shopping run I had a quick detour to see the Huddersfield 150. Nothing! Each trip was the day after I suppose but I'm sticking to seeing what I see.

Decidedly unimpressed with this twitching malarkey. Found waxwings on five occasions so far this year. Maximum flock size was 20 birds but I love watching them in big flocks so drew a blank with the Leeds 250 at the weekend and on a shopping run I had a quick detour to see the Huddersfield 150. Nothing! Each trip was the day after I suppose but I'm sticking to seeing what I see.

Sorry about that Jim. I sent a couple from my course who live fairly nearby to have a look this morning & they also missed them. They couldn't even find any suitable trees, which may have been a food source! Better luck next time
Cheers

Just got back from a day trip to Millington to see the Rough-legged Buzzard. We had really excellent views. We walked along the Wold Way, and saw the bird three times, once soaring and hovering at eye level, quite close. A really good bird. We also saw one Red Kite and several Common Buzzards.

I was struck by how different the RLB was to the Common Buzzards. A quite different jizz, almost Hen Harrier like, with longer wings and longer tail.

There were three or four Rowan trees in the carpark stripped out totally, the cotoneaster there looked completely untouched.

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing round here. Perhaps, the Cotoneaster is a bit hard at the moment & will soften up after a few more frosts & they'll hopefully eat those on their way back!

Cheers

Managed the two Great Northern Divers on the watersports pit at Welton Waters this afternoon. You wait 20 years for one then two come along! Good challenge for any bored photographer over Christmas to get both in the same shot. Also pair of Scaup and Treecreeper and 3 Bullfinch on Common Lane.
Also in Hull Valley area redhead Smew and female Mandarin Tophill Low y'day and seven Waxwings still Kingswood,Hull near Matalans today.

I've persuaded my dad he wants a festive trip to Potteric just after Xmas, so will hopefully mop up water rail and get some decent bittern views - as for a particular tarty one, has anyone got any tips where to spot the Potteric red-legged partridges?

Trying to use my powers of persuasion to get a trip to Blacktoft afterwards for the raptor roost, wish me luck ;)

I've persuaded my dad he wants a festive trip to Potteric just after Xmas, so will hopefully mop up water rail and get some decent bittern views - as for a particular tarty one, has anyone got any tips where to spot the Potteric red-legged partridges?

Trying to use my powers of persuasion to get a trip to Blacktoft afterwards for the raptor roost, wish me luck ;)

Pete
I would assume the red legs are going to be easiest to see in the open area east of Piper Marsh hide, from the path to the new hides overlooking the wetland area. The other area to look is by the old visitor centre hut and the open area by there.
I'm toying with a trip out to Blacktoft myself but don't know which day yet, again it will be for the raptors.

To all the other Tykes (and wanna be Tykes), have a very merry Xmas and a cracking new year. :t:

Pete

To all the other Tykes (and wanna be Tykes), have a very merry Xmas and a cracking new year. :t:

Yes, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. Finally finished work after a busy few days. Going to have a few beers and pray for a Snowy Owl to turn up at Flambro' now! Might even go and look for one if I don't have a hang over tomorrow.

Lovely day to be out is Christmas Eve. I had Bretton Park to myself this afternoon, weird.

Started at Old Moor, loads of the usual, nice and still weather.

Moved on to Bretton hoping for lesser pecker. Failed on that but had 4GSW from the same spot, two kingfisher under the same tree, c.40 lesser redpoll, 20 siskin, loads of nuthatch.

Finally checked the sunflower field at high Hoyland. Theres hundreds of finches up there now. Goldies, Greenies, Chaff, Yellowhammer, 30 brambling in one tree with plenty more elsewhere and a flock of c.200 linnet in a neighbourin field.Pete theres also a flock of about 20-30 RLP up there as well.

Here's to a few more over the holidays. Hope everyone has a fantastic Christmas and New Year.

Attachments

• IMG_6651_trim.jpg
    IMG_6651_trim.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6690.JPG
    IMG_6690.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 82
well heres to a good christmas to everyone.
especially those i have met over the years,you know who you are

all the best darrell

ps went out of yorkshire today:eek!:

Hope everyone has a fantastic Christmas & New Year.

I would also like to give my apologies in advance for Saturday, in case anyone's at Blacktoft Sands ;) As it's on the way home from a family get together in Retford, we've decided to have a family walk around the reserve with my two children.

I haven't been there for a number of years since I used to go there with my late father and, as the kids are now both RSPB Explorers, we thought it would be good to take them. So, if two small children disturbe you in the hides, my apologies ;)

Enjoy your Christmas.

Richard

Pete
I would assume the red legs are going to be easiest to see in the open area east of Piper Marsh hide, from the path to the new hides overlooking the wetland area. The other area to look is by the old visitor centre hut and the open area by there.
I'm toying with a trip out to Blacktoft myself but don't know which day yet, again it will be for the raptors.

Cheers Keith, will look round those areas.

Have a happy Christmas you lot B :) :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back