• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (77 Viewers)

Just checked Hull Valley site. 6 Snow Buntings and Water Rail at Barmston on Wednesday which I don't remember seeing on the pager but did miss some messages that evening.
Nice to see Geof in the "valley" sometime.

dips

Welcome back Geoff

Just been reading in Yorkshire Birding about the PG Warbler, Ouch!!!!!!

Although some reports of my Yorkshire dips have been factually incorrect, the PG Tips report in YB is entirely accurate, and can be added to Tengmalm's Owl missed by 15 foot, White-crowned Sparrow by 30 seconds and Amur Falcon by sheer idleness.

Hull Valley Bird Atlas

Just checked Hull Valley site. 6 Snow Buntings and Water Rail at Barmston on Wednesday which I don't remember seeing on the pager but did miss some messages that evening.
Nice to see Geoff in the "valley" sometime.

My Hull Valley birding at the moment is focussed on BTO Bird atlas work, having signed up for another 8 squares this year after 8 last year: must be insane. Having cherry-picked last year, harder work now, but hopefully will turn up something. A few Lesser Redpolls in Houghton Woods last weekend.
Just signed up for two tetrads near Flinton in Holderness as a whole 10km square there with no coverage at all and will be there on Sunday.

Coverage of Hull Valley is quite good, but more help required.

Hoping thread members are contributing to this.
See

http://www.bto.org/birdatlas/index.htm

Had another walk around the park today. 2GSW's, Treecreeper, but did not see the drake Pintail. Last seen on 17th. Cold and dull so could have been bunkered up on one of the islands.
Photo of Treecreeper from Wednesdays visit.

I had a run round park after work in fading light (3pm), went for the 2 ducks.
I found the plastic Pintail well stashed next to the island at ings road end. Dipped the Teal... Goosanders, Gadwall, Chiffchaff, Sparrowhawk and Cormorant also, as well as all the usual stuff....
Can anyone tell me where the Teal 'hangs about' ???

yorkshire update?

Hi all

I'm arriving in the UK tomorrow, staying just over the border in Derbsyhire until 31st. If anyone has any news re ANYTHING that I'm not used to seeing in Spain between now and then I'd really appreciate it.

Divers, winter ducks, geese, waxwing, short-eared owl, etc.

All the best

Hi all

I'm arriving in the UK tomorrow, staying just over the border in Derbsyhire until 31st. If anyone has any news re ANYTHING that I'm not used to seeing in Spain between now and then I'd really appreciate it.

Divers, winter ducks, geese, waxwing, short-eared owl, etc.

All the best

Short-eared Owls have been seen semi-regularly at Beeley Moor recently, with a great grey shrike doing the rounds too. Waxwings at Ogston Res yesterday, and doing the rounds at Sheffield and in the Broomhill area of Barnsley.

Some great northern divers were at Carsington recently but they seem to have moved on. May be worth a trip to Old Moor over the holiday to see if you can find the firecrest(s) that lurk round the edges, or Potteric Carr for the bitterns, water rails etc.

Good luck!

"Can anyone tell me where the Teal 'hangs about' ???"
On Tuesday it was on the island opposite the feeding area cut but was well tucked in. Despite the recent devastation there's still plenty of tangle for a small duck to get lost in. Hope everyone keeps watching this site. For an urban site it's turned up some great birds [Night Heron, Ring-necked Duck etc].

"Can anyone tell me where the Teal 'hangs about' ???"
On Tuesday it was on the island opposite the feeding area cut but was well tucked in. Despite the recent devastation there's still plenty of tangle for a small duck to get lost in. Hope everyone keeps watching this site. For an urban site it's turned up some great birds [Night Heron, Ring-necked Duck etc].

When I reported the Teal 4 weeks ago it was on the east tip of the island near the eastern edge of the new aviaries just where the large willow leans out over the lake. Hopefully, East Park will be introuduced to some new birdwatchers, as it is one of the 10 sites featured in the December issue of Birdwatching Magazine. There's also an article in there about the infamous Amur Falcon!

Cheers

"There's also an article in there about the infamous Amur Falcon!"
Don't know what you mean Mike. Presume you saw it. Who wrote it? Do they know what they're on about?

"There's also an article in there about the infamous Amur Falcon!"
Don't know what you mean Mike. Presume you saw it. Who wrote it? Do they know what they're on about?

I wasn't querying the ID, just alluding to all the fuss that's been made on the subject. The article seems very thorough and balanced, and includes an interview with Richard Hampshire, the warden.

Cheers

Had a super drive home from work this morning - Barn Owl floating round the car at Garton on the Wolds and better than that, not one but two Peregrines sat next to each other on the fence beside the road between Driffield and Nafferton. Shame i couldnt stop.

The Rough-legged Buzzard(s) seems to be hanging around at Millington...

I wasn't querying the ID, just alluding to all the fuss that's been made on the subject. The article seems very thorough and balanced, and includes an interview with Richard Hampshire, the warden.

Cheers

http://www.birdforum.net/images/smilies/thumb.gifNo problem Mike but there have been some sore grapes and a lot of miss information on the Amur. Just wanted to know the gist of the article. If they've spoke to Richard it should be fairly accurate. Cheers http://www.birdforum.net/images/smilies/pint1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back