• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (62 Viewers)

I have been advised that the Police are putting out no parking cones in Kilnsea from 2pm today ready for tommorrow. They have told me they will ticket cars if parked on the coned sections.
Tommorrow the coned section will be from Spurn gate to north of the crown.
Birders are asked not to park in crown car park.

Finally saw (albeit distant) an osprey today while at Swillington. Would have liked a better view but can't copmplain. Nothing else special just what you'd expect to see.
Marsh harrier, buzzards, little egrets etc.

Enjoyed great views of the Pectoral Sandpiper this morning. It was showing well right in front of the hide at Wombwell Ings.

Later on at Old Moor after a brief debate between the more knowledgable of the hide occupants it was settled (I think) that we were looking at a Lesser White Fronted Goose in the middle of the Greylags !

Missed the bloody Hobby at Old Moor though on Saturday ... again .....

Last edited:
Enjoyed great views of the Pectoral Sandpiper this morning. It was showing well right in front of the hide at Wombwell Ings.

Later on at Old Moor after a brief debate between the more knowledgable of the hide occupants it was settled (I think) that we were looking at a Lesser White Fronted Goose in the middle of the Greylags !

Missed the bloody Hobby at Old Moor though on Saturday ... again .....

Good work! Been tempted by the crake again yet?

Good work! Been tempted by the crake again yet?

Very much so, just ordered a tripod for the next trip to Edderthorpe!! Spotted/Unspotted Crake is apparently showing very well from the bench. Had a report about 20 mins ago. I am now officially on 4 days at work (sign of the times I,m afraid) but it does at least give me another day to try and get it. I will probably be there this coming Friday.

Last edited:
Booted Warbler at Spurn and Greenish Warbler at Scarborough today. Barred Warbler for added interest. Not many birds admittedly but Booted is quality.

CB

Weekend pretty poor really? Booted would be the hoped-for rare in early Sept along the east coast, whereas cumulative total of over 60 Greenish in Yorks nowadays so unlikely to attract much of a buzz. Not much in the way of scarce and low numbers of commoner migrants. Takes more than ‘just’ easterlies to produce the birds along Yorks coast, though good stuff for Cheshire I agree, lets hope it gets better:t:

Was thinking of an icebreaker for my first ever (& probably final) two hour talk tonight about definitions of different types of birdwatcher. I can only think of 7: birdwatcher, birder, twitcher, lister, ornithologist, dude & Robin Stroker - and the last two aren't that polite. Can anyone think of any more? (Polite ones only please!) For instance, how about a seawatcher - are they really a breed apart?

Finally saw (albeit distant) an osprey today while at Swillington. Would have liked a better view but can't copmplain. Nothing else special just what you'd expect to see.
Marsh harrier, buzzards, little egrets etc.

It seems that one Osprey is lingering in the area and has been seen from the hide at Swillington on most days in the last week, usually in the afternoon. Having said that it will probably now move off, but if anyone still needs Osprey it might be your last chance this year.

If I'd been in the area where I walk the dogs on Saturday afternoon I might have had a better view of said osprey. There's a place close to the M1 link that would make a good viewpoint as you can see a long way. I have an idea where it's been feeding but it hasn't been confirmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back