• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (53 Viewers)

Most likely excuse is that they saw baitdiggers out there and assumed it was OK for birdwatchers/photographers to go out there.

It's not impossible they had some specific reason for being out there. Photographically I would have thought trying to stalk birds on the Humber mudflats was a waste of time - they'll be off long before you get near them.

On my last visit to Spurn I noticed that the barbed wire fence and the sign next to the hide had been flattened. I had assumed it was baitdiggers showing what they thought but perhaps not (I'm referring to the smaller northern hide).

Is the size of brain directly linked to the size of lens.

Saw these three out on the mud in front of a hide where the waders feed.

Would love to know the reason or can any one come up with the excuse they may have given if asked.

they obviously have no idea of fieldcraft, bird behaviour or respect for a nature reserve!

Most likely excuse is that they saw baitdiggers out there and assumed it was OK for birdwatchers/photographers to go out there.

It's not impossible they had some specific reason for being out there. Photographically I would have thought trying to stalk birds on the Humber mudflats was a waste of time - they'll be off long before you get near them.

On my last visit to Spurn I noticed that the barbed wire fence and the sign next to the hide had been flattened. I had assumed it was baitdiggers showing what they thought but perhaps not (I'm referring to the smaller northern hide).

Unfortunatly bait digger reason no good, tide was to far in for digging when they went out to flush the waders, sorry photograph the waders.
Bait diggers accessing this area is an issue but birders going out either side of hides makes it even harder to address but that is o reason to stop trying.

Had a nice day at Filey today.

No rarities, but the evening wader roost of knot/dunlin/oystercatcher/sanderling/turnstone on the south side of the Brigg is really getting great. In fact, they are so tame that they come within 6 feet if you stay still: makes me wish I had a camera.

However:

Rant alert!!!

There are loads of signs at Filey that say that the area North of the Coble Landing is out of bounds for dogs from Marchish to the 30th of September. Primarily one imagines to stop kids getting dog sh1t all over themselves, it also has understandable beneficial impacts for birders. Also, the roosting waders on the Brigg today were plainly obvious, in a big throng, flying around, moving etc.

So tell that to the woman whose off the lead labrador smashed into the really dense roosting flock and sent them all packing!!! The countless other people with dogs saw the birds (and me, with scope set up) and at least went the long way round, but to leave your dog to range around and flush all the birds for quite a while takes some doing!!!

Happily I was creatively obscene in my response... o:D

Lsw

Lucky you simmo i have not seen a LSW for two years they really are abit of a bogey bird for me personally, the last one i saw was over the railway at Beighton Junction it flew over my head as i was working

Lucky you simmo i have not seen a LSW for two years they really are abit of a bogey bird for me personally, the last one i saw was over the railway at Beighton Junction it flew over my head as i was working

Lucky being the operative word as it is on many occasions while out birding. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Got a tawny owl the same day and to be fair I had 'tossed a coin' regarding which path to take to get to Wharncliffe Lodge. The owl just happened to be at the top of the one I decided to take.

I wonder what was on the other path !!

Last edited:
Birdieboy123's photo of the Woodchat Shrike is published in today's Yorkshire Post! - the Birdwatch column. If you buy one he may sign it at the next BF meeting!

Just had a few days in the Lake District - managed one day away from the park/swimming baths (with daughter) - had fantastic views of Ravens up on the tops circling up close at eye level - is there a name for the behaviour of when they tuck their wings in and kind of surf along the slipstream - absolutely brilliant. Hundreds of mipits up high plus great Buzzard and Kestrel views.

Also a nailed on spot for Badger sightings - one of the hotels has a nearby sett and they leave out food - had at least 1 animal on 3 separate occassions. Close up red squirrel views made things even better.

Form an orderly queue ha ha

Would this be a 'Spurn' orderly queue? ;)

EDIT:
Just having a look towards next weekend, there's some northerlies midweek then a right old blast at the weekend, all subject to change of course but fingers crossed for some showers saturday night.

Attachments

• weather.JPG
    weather.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back