• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (62 Viewers)

This may be a long shot but can anyone give me directions from Old Moor to Spotborough Flash please .. I,m going to try and get a few shots of the 'resident' Osprey but have no idea where to go ?

Thnks very much.

Dave

for Sprotborough

from Old Moor, make for the A1 by your preferred route, go south to the A630 junction and take a right turn (west), follow A630 and after roughly 1/2 mile at the traffic lights turn right (north) for Sprotborough and the Don Gorge. After this it is just a case of following the road and parking in the car park by the canal. It's a few years since I was there but I don't think things will have changed that much

Last edited:
Dave

for Sprotborough

from Old Moor, make for the A1 by your preferred route, go south to the A630 junction and take a right turn (west), follow A630 and after roughly 1/2 mile at the traffic lights turn right (north) for Sprotborough and the Don Gorge. After this it is just a case of following the road and parking in the car park by the canal. It's a few years since I was there but I don't think things will have changed that much

Nice one Keith,

I,m hoping it hasn,t bogged off by the time I get there of course !!

Thanks for your help.

Best wishes,

As I often wonder as a relative newcomer to migration issues:

Could anyone explain what makes Spurn Point such a popular place to find passing migrants ? I have often wondered why so many interesting species end up there.

Cheers guys.

There'll be many who will have a far better idea than me but in autumn at least it's like a huge heligoland trap, any birds travelling south will be funnelled down Spurn.

Very quiet day at Spurn, only scarce anywhere near was (typical!) barred warbler at the Warren, which was very skittish and gave poor shows compared the one at Flam on the BF Meet. Missed the lapland buntings, but picked up one lifer in form of a very obliging snow bunting, and a year tick for red-throated diver. Lots of grey seals bobbing around too, and a good range of waders on show.

Good day out though - but can't believe the lack of migrants on their way out. I expected to at least pick up spotted fly, pied fly or redstart, but there wasn't a sign of any. Only migrants around seemed to be wheatears, whinchats and a couple of chiffchaffs.

Attachments

• P1060594.JPG
    P1060594.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 59
Look what I saw at 4pm this afternoon... watched for 10 minutes as it slowly walked/snuffled across the field B :)

Attachments

• badger-sep09-1.jpg
    badger-sep09-1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 88
  • badger-sep09-2.jpg
    badger-sep09-2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 51

Users who are viewing this thread

Back