• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (66 Viewers)

Eccup Res.

Just back from a brief walk around Eccup where i found several Brambling feeding in the Beech trees with a large flock of Chaffinch, there was a mix of male and female birds, also an untagged adult Red Kite kicking around. There was also at least 30 Pink-footed Geese on the water. Interestingly there was 9 Grey Heron all stood together on the far bank.

Cheers

ANDY

schiffornis said:
Just back from a brief walk around Eccup where i found several Brambling feeding in the Beech trees with a large flock of Chaffinch, there was a mix of male and female birds, also an untagged adult Red Kite kicking around. There was also at least 30 Pink-footed Geese on the water. Interestingly there was 9 Grey Heron all stood together on the far bank.

Cheers

ANDY

The Pink-feet hanging around at Eccup has been an unusual feature this winter.

Just wondering if anyone has any news about Wheldrake/lower derwent area sightings recent as i am going to head over there tomorrow

Cheers in advance

ANDY

schiffornis said:
Just wondering if anyone has any news about Wheldrake/lower derwent area sightings recent as i am going to head over there tomorrow

Cheers in advance

ANDY

Black-necked grebe is still at Wheldrake from Pool Hide (check in/under/around the bushes to the left) and the Iceland Gull stiill seems to be coming in to roost, although never when I've been there. I haven't been for four weeks now and would be interested to know duck numbers and water levels?

At North Duffield there are still lots of Ruff - some of these must start getting their breeding plumage quite soon? I've seen no reports of the swans recently, but there was one Bewick's hiding in the Whoopers at that end all winter.

It may be worth a scan from Ellerton and the other vantage points also. You might get lucky and find Green-Winged Teal or American Wigeon. They may have moved on, but could still be around - both were spotted only a few times all winter although they were probably ever-present. Just shows how huge an area and how many birds there are in the valley.

Also, keep them peeled for LSW (especially in the woodland near the water works) and Barn Owl always about, and you should see Stonechat, Blackwits, Dunlin, and plenty of Golden Plover. And I've seen Peregrine every other time I've been this winter.

Enjoy, and let us know how you get on - and have a scan aboove the canopy of Wheldrake Woods on your way past.

bitterntwisted said:
Black-necked grebe is still at Wheldrake from Pool Hide (check in/under/around the bushes to the left) and the Iceland Gull stiill seems to be coming in to roost, although never when I've been there. I haven't been for four weeks now and would be interested to know duck numbers and water levels?.

Water levels very high at present, but gull roost the largest it has been all winter. The adult Iceland appears to come in early afternoon and move on south, perhaps to roost elsewhere in the LDV, whilst the juv seems to be a later bird into the roost. There has also been a 2nd ad Iceland on one occasion. Due to high water levels duck numbers much lower than they have been especially for Wigeon.

bitterntwisted said:
At North Duffield there are still lots of Ruff - some of these must start getting their breeding plumage quite soon? I've seen no reports of the swans recently, but there was one Bewick's hiding in the Whoopers at that end all winter.

Up to 190+ Ruff at NDC, though numbers vary due to groups moving around.

bitterntwisted said:
It may be worth a scan from Ellerton and the other vantage points also. You might get lucky and find Green-Winged Teal or American Wigeon. They may have moved on, but could still be around - both were spotted only a few times all winter although they were probably ever-present. Just shows how huge an area and how many birds there are in the valley.

I had the wigeon briefly at Thorganby Ings a couple of weeks back, presumably because the higher water levels had moved Wigeon off WI. Doubtless the GW Teal is still somewhere in the LDV............

bitterntwisted said:
Also, keep them peeled for LSW (especially in the woodland near the water works) and Barn Owl always about, and you should see Stonechat, Blackwits, Dunlin, and plenty of Golden Plover. And I've seen Peregrine every other time I've been this winter.

I don't know of any reliable LSW reports in the wood by Ings Lane (the track to WI car park) for some years now and assume there are no longer birds there (though I could just be very unlucky indeed)? Barn Owls are very conspicuous around Wheldrake now, I'm encountering birds during the day both on the ings and around the village. Most waders are concentrated down towards NDC end of the valley as water on WI is too high. Rrecent WEBS produced nearly 11,000 GPs!

bitterntwisted said:
Enjoy, and let us know how you get on - and have a scan aboove the canopy of Wheldrake Woods on your way past.

Interesting? Why?

Wheldrake, NDCs etc

Hi everyone (Thanks for the info yesterday guys)

Just back from a good morning session at Wheldrake and North Duffield Carrs area.

Arrived at about 9am at Bank Island, not a lot and very wet (wellies advised!), then went on to the Wheldrake section (road underwater near the bridge, 4x4 or wellies advised again!) where we walked as far as Pool Hide before it was too deep to continue, returning to the car for about 12:30. After a brief lunch break we headed down to North Duffield Carrs. Water levels seemed very high throughout. The following were some of what was noted: (NB Weather beautiful, even warm in the am a bit cooler with increasing wind in the pm)

Barn Owl 1
Tawny Owl-calling at noon!
Black-necked Grebe (winter plum) from Pool Hide
Black-tailed Godwit and Snipe (from Wheldrake)
Ruff (at least 200 around NDCs on waters-edge and in field)
Dunlin c300
Redshank/Golden Plovers/Lapwing/Curlew/Oystercatcher a plenty
Teal and Wigeon c1000s
Whooper Swan (at least 6 scattered around)
Grey Herons (c5+)/Cormorants (3 on nests) blah blah...
Peregrine (1 male)
Marsh Harrier (a distant sighting not by me but by someone i met there)
Goldeneye/R$%^y Duck/Pintail (100s)/Gadwall/Shoveler/Mallard/Shelduck
Great Spotted Woody (4/5 seen + drummers)
Skylark (lots singing displaying, including several displaying over the water!)
Fieldfare and Redwing - a couple of large flocks moving along edge areas
Treecreeper (2)/Lotties (several)
Tree Sparrow (c10+)/Yellowhammer and Reed Bunts (lots)

Most interesting however was a Pipit from the Garganey Hide (the furthest of the two at North Duffield Carrs). I'm pretty sure it was a Scandinavian Rock Pipit. It was seen briefly very closely from the hide bathing then feeding along the left bank (for those who know the hide, it was just behind where the stepping-stone-like 'lumps of grass' come into the water from the left to right from the bank, say 25/30m from the hide).

Also lots of Ladybirds and a Peacock Butterfly were observed near the bridge at Wheldrake.

Nice day out! I think i might be going past again tomorrow so might see if i can re-find the pipit!

Cheers ANDY

Potteric Carr

Thinking of going to Potteric Carr on Sunday with the hope of getting Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.I see they are seen in Black Carr Wood is any one place better to view from or is it just pot luck?

Thanks

Geoff

Pot luck I'm afraid Geoff.
The bird we saw in January during the Yorkshire Meet was in the middle of the wooded area, we had taken the path through the wood rather than around it. I know a few people have been since and failed to see it, whilst other folk have had good views.
I'm out birding tomorrow, haven't decided on where but Potteric is up there with Eccup and Blacktoft as one of the favoured destinations.

Geoff Pain said:
Thinking of going to Potteric Carr on Sunday with the hope of getting Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.I see they are seen in Black Carr Wood is any one place better to view from or is it just pot luck?

Thanks

Geoff

Geoff, its called Black Carr Wood, but think copse rather than forest. Its possible to walk through it in less than a minute, so I would suggest waiting half way along the path that runs through the middle. If you are at potteric on Sunday you might even bump into me.

I was at Potteric last weekend and they have put a sign on a fence at the spot it is usually seen, unfortunately I didn't see it

I probably will but it wont be an extensive visit- ive gotta be in Hull at 2. Will send a txt if im going. Already got Smew this year - 2 white nuns and a redhead at Tophill ;)

Just had my effing tutorial cancelled after i rushed from Fairburn to Hull. No worries though- 2 smart Long-eared Owls in a conifer by the pond dipping platform means there is only 1 species of regularly breeding owl for me to see in the UK- Tawny lol. Its an effort thing really. I did dip though- on a Keith Dickinson. Had to go before he arrived.

Got stuck in traffic James, reached Fairburn at 10.25. Not the best of views of the birds, what I wouldn't have given for a pair of exremely long-handled pruners. The sun was very awkward when trying to get a photo, still to download and photoshop them but they are probably no good. It was made more enjoyable by my being able to show someone their first LEO, through my scope
Had a good walk around the main lake though, 2 groups of long-tailed tits, 7 birds in one group and at least 5 in the other. There were still good numbers of goldeneye on the lake, but I failed to find any smew. In the birches on the riverbank trail tracked a willow tit for 5 minutes by song until it finally decided to show itself. Heard a GSW but couldn't find it.

I saw a handfull of Willow Tits around the kids screen as well as long-tailed as i was the only person there before the blue rinse brigade were bought round en masse for the owls then everything cleared off as they were dead noisy- "I still cant see them. Where are they in relation to the short brown branch?"

"They are the short brown branch!!!!"

GSW flyover in the car park was nice.

After several birdless weeks (apart from quick visit to see some Waxwings) I've decided to spend all of Sunday birding. Not decided on a location just yet, although Wheldrake Ings was a possibility (especially after Andy's report).

However, all this talk of LEO's has made me green with envy. Not been to Fairburn before so was wondering how easy the owls are to find. Also, how far are they from the visitors centre/ carpark? (just in case I can fit in a visit saturday afternoon after work).

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back