• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (79 Viewers)

100 yards from visitor centre- dead easy to find if they roost in the same tree (apparently they have been doing). Past the visitor centre, left on the second boardwalk. Right when you get to the far side of the ponds. You will see the kids viewing area for some feeders. Coming back from that is a couple of benches. Sit on the second one from the viewing area (ie nearest) and look into the conifer opposite. About 2/3 of the way up on the left hand side will be 2 LEOs. I hope.

Spot on directions James, the bare tree to the left of the conifer has a thin branch positioned horizontally, the L.E.O's are in line with this, apparantly they use the same tree every year, though I haven't seen them before. No show from Buzzards either.
I also dipped with the K.D. although I was there at the same time, (app 10.am - 12.00)
sorry Kieth, if I did see you I didn't recognise you.
pete

Hi Pete,
I was the grey haired chap with the green waistcoat and plaid shirt, toting a Kowa scope. You may have heard me cursing the sun, no chance of a decent photo, took a few but they are all totally cr*p. After a circuit of the main lake the area was empty of people so I was able to settle down and enjoy the birds with the scope, that was when i got talking to the chap who had never seen LEO. He was most grateful that I was there as he had seen all the people earlier but didn't want to ask what it was. Not something I would do, but it takes allsorts.

Kieth, I think you might have been just to my left and back a bit, I was the bloke in the grey fleece and green R.S.P.B. cap, no 'scope just bins, quite a few people were offering views through their 'scopes, totally agree about the sun,suppose we should have got there earlier
pete

Right Pete, I'm usually wearing a BTO baseball cap but forgot it today. I'll be having another bash at pictures tomorrow morning on my way to work in Castleford. The sun should be well out of the way at 7.30 am

raptor for lunch

clocked five raptors in a 1 hour walk at lunch! Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard (3), Red Kite (10+) and a female peregrine, which was the firest since one last March so maybe they trickle throught this way to higher ground.

The Red Kites were dancing in the sky and passing food to each toher fantastic.

Within the work recording area I also had two grey wags, which I can't rememebr seeing before, but I'm sure I have. And a colleague had a little owl on their car yesterday! Seems its all going on.

180 degree panarama showing office buildings far right

Attachments

• pan1.JPG
    pan1.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 88
  • pan2.JPG
    pan2.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 72
  • pan3.JPG
    pan3.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 82
peterpiper said:
Kieth, I think you might have been just to my left and back a bit, I was the bloke in the grey fleece and green R.S.P.B. cap, no 'scope just bins, quite a few people were offering views through their 'scopes, totally agree about the sun,suppose we should have got there earlier
pete

Did i give you directions up to the spot? I was the 25 year old bloke shuffling off at 10.15

jimmy2faces said:
clocked five raptors in a 1 hour walk at lunch! Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard (3), Red Kite (10+) and a female peregrine, which was the firest since one last March so maybe they trickle throught this way to higher ground.

Superb! How times have changed eh.

Cheers,
Bob.

Hotspur said:
Did i give you directions up to the spot? I was the 25 year old bloke shuffling off at 10.15
Yup!, that was me, by following your directions I was able to point the birds out to quite a few others, thanks mate.
pete

Keith Dickinson said:
Right Pete, I'm usually wearing a BTO baseball cap but forgot it today. I'll be having another bash at pictures tomorrow morning on my way to work in Castleford. The sun should be well out of the way at 7.30 am
Will be at the gym at that time, but will kep my fingers crossed for you,looking forward to seeing the pics.
pete

jimmy2faces said:

Within the work recording area I also had two grey wags, which I can't rememebr seeing before, but I'm sure I have. And a colleague had a little owl on their car yesterday! Seems its all going on.

180 degree panarama showing office buildings far right

Some people have all the luck! nice lunch break.
pete

schiffornis said:
Just back from a good morning session at Wheldrake and North Duffield Carrs area.
Any directions to the Carrs from North Duffield coming from Selby? (or 6fig map ref?).

Embarassed to say I didn't know they existed and I have been frequenting Skipwith Common for over 20 years!!|:$|

Denis.

DenisG said:
Any directions to the Carrs from North Duffield coming from Selby? (or 6fig map ref?).

Embarassed to say I didn't know they existed and I have been frequenting Skipwith Common for over 20 years!!|:$|

Denis.

The car park is located 3/4 mile east of North Duffield, just off the A163 SE697367. The two hides can be accessed by a short walk along a gravelled track

Ingsbirder said:
accessed by a short walk along a gravelled track

A real treat after wading through the Wheldrake section!

When you are walking to the second hide the path bends 90 degrees right then 90 degrees to the left, after the left turn scan the field ahead and slightly to the left, it was full of waders when i was there (Ruff/Dunlin/Golden Plovers/Lapwings).

Cheers

Eagle Owl at Harewood

I was going to post this in the Eagle Owls in Britain thread but felt it was only relevant to Yorkshire Birders.

The Kite release scheme at Harewood produce a Newsletter and I bumped into Doug Simpson yesterday who is in charge of the release scheme and he gave me a copy of newletter-Issue 8. the following is quoted from this newsletter. " Eagle Owl. Another surprise cami in the form of an Eagle Owl which took up winter residence in the area where there several Red Kite breeding sites. Its arrival was particularly topical as it occured shortly after the broadcast, on BBC telivision of a programme about a pair of Eagle Owls which had been breeding in North Yotkshire for several years. That programme had prompted a debate about the likely origins of a number of Eagle Owls which were known to be present in the wild in England-it being known that there was at least one pair in Yorkshire besides those noted above. Whilst the most likely explanation is that they are captive birds which escaped,there is a school of thought that some of them could be of Continental origin which have made there way here.
The bird preent in West Yorkshire spent many evenings calling - trying to attract a mate. It appears to have been unsuccessful and is presumed to have moved on elsewhere. There were no clues as to its origin,it not having been posssible to see whether it was ringed".
I thought this might interest you all.
Malcolm

Quick visit to Loshpotts this morning - so windy the scope was nearly blowing over.

Of note:

2 Little Grebes now back
4 Ringed Plover
2 Oystercatcher

I also added Curlew to the Losh list yesterday morning - three in the flooded field near the A1 roundabout (within my Losh recording area)

Ingsbirder said:
The car park is located 3/4 mile east of North Duffield, just off the A163 SE697367. The two hides can be accessed by a short walk along a gravelled track
Many thanks, I'll take a look Mon/Tues.

Denis.

schiffornis said:
A real treat after wading through the Wheldrake section!

When you are walking to the second hide the path bends 90 degrees right then 90 degrees to the left, after the left turn scan the field ahead and slightly to the left, it was full of waders when i was there (Ruff/Dunlin/Golden Plovers/Lapwings).

Cheers
LOL............I know what you mean Andrew, try getting to the heart of Skipwith common!. Has it's advantages though, you don't get pestered by the faint hearted|=)| . Chest waders highly reccommended..............although I am usually looking for the dragons and damsels|;| .

Hmmmmm............if the Wheldrake and NDC reports are anything to go by, maybe I should start looking at the birds at Skipwith too..............

Many thanks.

Denis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back