• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (76 Viewers)

schiffornis said:
I've been doing some reasearch on the White Stork at Wold Newton (Yellow right PCC) ... I might go have a look tomorrow

I'm over that way this w/e, sort of - if you see it tell it it's free to roam around the area and be as conspicuous as possible ;)

Cheers,
Bob.

Is it a different bird from the one at ebberston a couple of weeks ago cos there is only 15 miles in it- not a lot as the stork flies. Also one village on from my mum and dads so on mothers day i may have to drop in.

storks

Hotspur said:
Is it a different bird from the one at ebberston a couple of weeks ago cos there is only 15 miles in it- not a lot as the stork flies. Also one village on from my mum and dads so on mothers day i may have to drop in.

Hi james, just spoke to a guy at Harewood, it is definately not one of their birds (which i had now already established) but interestingly he did say that they have had birds that were not 'their' birds come in with the other storks, the guy mentioned a dutch bird and also one from another UK collection specifically. The guy who knows the storks the best is away at the moment but will be back in a few days and should hopefully get intouch with me then! So it might not be a case of writing-off every stork headed toward Harewood as an escapee (and thats 3 of my sightings)!!! The plot thickens...

Laters ANDY

schiffornis said:
Hi james, just spoke to a guy at Harewood, it is definately not one of their birds (which i had now already established) but interestingly he did say that they have had birds that were not 'their' birds come in with the other storks, the guy mentioned a dutch bird and also one from another UK collection specifically. The guy who knows the storks the best is away at the moment but will be back in a few days and should hopefully get intouch with me then! So it might not be a case of writing-off every stork headed toward Harewood as an escapee (and thats 3 of my sightings)!!! The plot thickens...

Laters ANDY

Andy, I saw the bird when it was in Notts, and again when in Ripon. I've heard different theories on this bird. It was apparently ringed in Holland, although I've never yet found concrete proof of this. Everyone says "it was ringed in Holland" but my concern is it bears a darvic ring, (which I think is simply a term for a large plastic type ring). I don't know if people have interpreted this to mean it was ringed in Holland - is "darvic" a Dutch term - I don't know.

I think it will actually transpire that it was ringed in Holland. I think this probably means it is part of a reintroduction programme - but (a bit like our kites) when do they become wild? Is it an adult ringed in Holland or offspring of an adult ringed in Holland?

I started a separate thread on this bird to establish more info. but got nowhere.

One thing that concerns me is it doesn't appear to have gone south naturally. I suspect it has been doing the rounds in the north of England since I last saw it in Ripon.

Yorkshire birding recently included it in the front section of its reports, rather than confined to the escapes at the end. However this doesn't really prove anything, (for what it's worth I think the Armley parakeets should be treated as wild).

One of the birding mags. described it as not wild.

I think we'll end up doing what we normally do - see as many storks as you can, keep it on your life list and on balance of probabilities one seen at the right time of year and unringed will be wild.

Unless you see one coming in off the sea in Kent in April there's not a lot you can do.

The two that nearly, (and should have been allowed to) breed near Horbury had a genuine wild bird, but even that had been nursed back to health after being found emaciated.

No easy answers I'm afraid.

First off I'm pleased this White Stork is still alive. It went missing the day after I saw it (1/11/06) north of Ripon and I feared the worst as it had apparently been following the plough and was subsisting on worms, although the farmer saw it catch and eat a small rodent. It's done well to last the winter in this country, really. I never did try to trace it as I said I would back on page 13 but I would like to know its origins. The family at Hutton Hall had contacted Harewood back then and they said at the time it wasn't one of theirs. If you want to try tracing it by the ring, Andy, try http://www.cr-birding.be/ since I seem to be unable to do it!

In other news, where are all these migrants that apparently are arriving in droves? Not seen one, yet. Had a pootle round Adel Dam and Eccup Whin today and still large flocks of Redwing and Fieldfare but nothing really of note among the woodland regulars.

Graham

The one in southern County Durham did indeed have the same marked leg ring. It stayed for a couple of weeks moving between a few different locations before eventually heading a little futher south into North Yorkshire.

I think it was thought there were several White Stork around the country at that time all with the same marked ring and they were indeed believed to have originated in Holland though I never traced an exact reference to that fact and the reported bird sightings never overlap!

Attachments

• IMG_7775bbo.JPG
    IMG_7775bbo.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 95
Wot no migrants?

Yes very hard to find away from the valley hotspots..a singing Willow Warbler this morning at Cortonwood near Old Moor

Checked out the local wheatear site today but no joy

However a good flock of 330 Northern Golden Plover, 26 grounded Curlew as well as 250++ Fieldfare amongst the hordes of Starling at Whitley Common/Ingbirchworth

Just seen on Birdguides that the LEO is back at Fairburn Ings. If anyone is interested I'll stop off tomorrow morning to check if the bird is still there, pm your mobile no. and i'll text you.

I may have a try for Raven this weekend, (one of my Yorkshire bogey birds). If any one has any recent sightings in the Dales or the North Yorks. Moors I'd appreciate the news.

If anyone has any more specific info. please feel free to pm me.

I keep calling it a bogey bird but unless I get up on the tops it always will be!

Lawts said:
I may have a try for Raven this weekend, (one of my Yorkshire bogey birds). If any one has any recent sightings in the Dales or the North Yorks. Moors I'd appreciate the news.

I keep calling it a bogey bird but unless I get up on the tops it always will be!

I had one up by Tan Hill over the Christmas period. The whole arkthingydale area is good and I saw them from the car too.

In th past three years I have also had them at Upper Barden (nr Bolton Abbey), but considering I work the area quite a bit they're certainly no banker there.

jimmy2faces said:
I had one up by Tan Hill over the Christmas period. The whole arkthingydale area is good and I saw them from the car too.

In th past three years I have also had them at Upper Barden (nr Bolton Abbey), but considering I work the area quite a bit they're certainly no banker there.

Thanks Marcus.

Had great views of the White Stork at Wold Newton yesterday, especially when it took to the air. Missed it a couple of days earlier, so was pleased to finally catch up it (Having missed Storks in Flamborough, Ebberston and Scarborough over the last couple of years I was begining to think I would never see one!).
For what its worth, the few birders I spoke to seemed confident of the Stork's Dutch origin.

skink1978 said:
Had great views of the White Stork at Wold Newton yesterday, especially when it took to the air. Missed it a couple of days earlier, so was pleased to finally catch up it (Having missed Storks in Flamborough, Ebberston and Scarborough over the last couple of years I was begining to think I would never see one!).
For what its worth, the few birders I spoke to seemed confident of the Stork's Dutch origin.

Nice one Mike. I have considered it myself as it would be a UK tick for me.

I was at the Pudsy beer festive yesterday so am really struggling to motivate myself today...

Lawts said:

Had a raven about three weeks ago at dob park otley,it soared high while calling and seemed to fly towards lindley wood.seen raven over ilkley a couple of times.

Just refound the bird to the south of the village- was papping it when it wasnt in the original field but as i drove about it wandered out of a hedge. Bloody good at disappearing for a 3 foot snowman with a carrot on the front. So White Stork for the UK and Yorkshire (seen plenty abroad).

A new bird for my patch yesterday, kingfisher. A fleeting glimpse but saw where it was perched so hopefully it's a favourite branch.

Having the first week in April off I'm planning a trip to the coast for some migrants. The particular day will probably be weather dependent and I'm looking at starting off at Flamborough - Dyke Wood and the surrounding fields. Any suggestions as to where I go on from there, is Sewerby Park worth a visit?

bitterntwisted said:
In other news, where are all these migrants that apparently are arriving in droves? Not seen one, yet.

Managed to find two Chiffchaffs on Saturday morning, but no Sand Marts. Other local year ticks - a flock of 30 linnet (ok, ok, but there's been none around since late autumn, honest) and two small parties of Goldies (another one that's been strangely absent). Also seen a Tawny Owl, first heard hooting (early aft.) and then located sitting on a big branch - first one I've connected with for ages.

Cheers,
Bob.

Not been out birding over weekend, didn't hear a dawn chorus so thought if the birds aren't coming out niether am I, however I did get to Denby Dale to pick up a new(to me)'scope, haven't really checked it out yet though, no fun when being blown about too much to focus and eyes watering in wind, hope weather bucks up soon, starting to get withdrawal symptons, heard a couple of Sparrows and a Blackbird this morning so keeping fingers crossed, still not going far though, don't like cold weather, yes, I am a "Wimp"
pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back