• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (92 Viewers)

Waxwing

Hi all

Just had 3x Waxwings at the Eastfield/Nidderdale Drive/Bransdale Grove junction in Knaresborough, they were there till at least 10:45, feeding on Sorbus and digesting in the tree tops.

Cheers

ANDY

Loshpotts

Just back from a quick half hour at Loshpotts saw a few different species from my last trip there, such as:

Gadwall (1 male),
Canada Goose (c15+),
Shellduck (1),
Little Grebe (2),
Kestrel (1),
Tufted Duck (9),
Meadow Pipit (c12),
Linnet (c8+),
Yellowhammer (1),
Long-tailed Tit (1),
Song Thrush (1),
Oystercatcher (1).

Also had...

Ringed Plover (2)
Mallard (6)
Black-headed Gull (75)
Common Gull (5)
Skylark (6)
Lapwing (10)
Coot (7)
Pied Wagtail (9)
Stock Dove (8)

Grey-lag Goose x13, including one with an orange neck collar, unfortunately due to the wind and the distance i couldn't read its number/code

Cheers

ANDY

schiffornis said:
Hi all

Just had 3x Waxwings at the Eastfield/Nidderdale Drive/Bransdale Grove junction in Knaresborough, they were there till at least 10:45, feeding on Sorbus and digesting in the tree tops.

Cheers

ANDY
I'm curious to know how you picked these up... a tip off or just luck? |=)|

I used to play around there when I was a kid... it's not really somewhere you'd pass unless you live there. We had a flock of 10 in our garden just off Chain Lane (not too far away) in the mid-90s.

Ben M said:
I'm curious to know how you picked these up... a tip off or just luck? |=)|

I used to play around there when I was a kid... it's not really somewhere you'd pass unless you live there. We had a flock of 10 in our garden just off Chain Lane (not too far away) in the mid-90s.
These were reported on birdguides at 8 o'clock this morning

Ben M said:
I'm curious to know how you picked these up... a tip off |=)| QUOTE]

Hi Ben. I'd be so lucky, it is in the Harrogate Nats recodring area, no tip offs there! :D (not unles someone let slip.....)

No i cheated, they were on birdguides this am (07:30) as being present since Sunday and as i needed to visit the bank thought i'd go the long way round for a change!

It seems that Harrogate and Knaresborough are quite good for Waxwing most years, even when there is no influx, i have seen them mentioned in bird reports and on birdguides etc quite regularly, also had them over my house when i lived in Follifoot, and when i was at work at RHS Harlow Carr last winter. Pretty much every year of the 5 or so i've been round here...

Cheers

ANDY

Thanks |:$| I never even thought to check!

Interesting point about the frequency of Waxwing sightings in the area... I wonder why.

schiffornis said:
Just back from a quick half hour at Loshpotts saw a few different species from my last trip there, such as:

ANDY

Nice one Andy. I had a quick look this evening. The only additions to your list would be:

Mute Swans (3 juvs. looked fresh in)
Red-legged Partridge (1)
Little Grebe (now 3)
Oystercatcher (c.15)

A few things had moved out - no Gadwall or Shelduck. I saw the Greylag. It is also ringed. I think it is a Nosterfield bird. I'm sure a few years back they put some orange collars on Greylags.

Where were the Meadow Pipits - flying over?

Lawts said:
Nice one Andy. I had a quick look this evening. The only additions to your list would be:

Mute Swans (3 juvs. looked fresh in)
Red-legged Partridge (1)
Little Grebe (now 3)
Oystercatcher (c.15)

A few things had moved out - no Gadwall or Shelduck. I saw the Greylag. It is also ringed. I think it is a Nosterfield bird. I'm sure a few years back they put some orange collars on Greylags.

Where were the Meadow Pipits - flying over?

Hi Steve

Forgot i also had a Cormorant (x1) actively fishing too.

Thats funny about the Little Grebes, i had 2 together but thought i had a third closer but never had all 3 up at the same time so didn't want to over-estimate!

The Meadow Pipits were on the edge of the pool by where you park with wagtails and linnets, and then when i was on the bridge area they were on the bank in front really close, calling and getting up on the tree guards.

I'm pretty sure i had several 'neck-collared' Grey-lag Geese up at Gouthwaite and Studley last year.

Cheers

ANDY

schiffornis said:
I'm pretty sure i had several 'neck-collared' Grey-lag Geese up at Gouthwaite and Studley last year.

Hi Andy, I also had a couple of neck-collared Greylag at Gouthwaite last year, sent in the numbers but never heard back so no idea where they originated |:(|.

Paul

Grey Lags

pauljones said:
Hi Andy, I also had a couple of neck-collared Greylag at Gouthwaite last year, sent in the numbers but never heard back so no idea where they originated |:(|.

Paul

Hi Paul

I think the guy who i spoke to was Paul Irvine from the Harrogate Naturalists, he seemed very dis-interested in them when i talked to him about them, almost as if he wasn't really bothered.

This site might shed some light on your birds?:

http://www.eastdalesringinggroup.org.uk/greylag.htm

This was in total contrast to the people studying Pink-footed Geese. When i found the same bird in Norfolk then Lancs in under a week, they sent me a pdf showing all of the plotted sightings from where it had been sighted around Europe! Really interesting stuff!

Cheers

ANDY

I finally got it!!!!! American Wigeon on bubwith Ings. Quite a mobile bird. Also Sand Martin and Buzzard for the year and a maybe Jack Snipe. Also saw a schiffornis there.

Hotspur said:
I finally got it!!!!! American Wigeon on bubwith Ings. Quite a mobile bird. Also Sand Martin and Buzzard for the year and a maybe Jack Snipe. Also saw a schiffornis there.

Great looks at a male American Wigeon from about 11:30-13:00 on Bubwith Ings. Also my first Birdforum tick, James (Hotspur). The bird was very mobile but showing to fairly close range at first. The bird didn't appear as striking as i had expected it to be, but was still a very appreciated bird! There seemed a lot more Euro Wigeon on this bit of water compared to the other day (and then lots less at NDCs later)

We had a Sand Martin head south at about 11:40 from Bubwith and then another heading north from NDCs at about 13:30ish.

We had a Buzzard from the Geoff Smith Hide also Dunlin, Ruff, Golden Plover, Lapwing, Redshank, Common Snipe, probable brief look at Jack Snipe, Curlew, 2 Whooper Swans (plus 20-30 distant ones on fields too far to bother with). Also a few Meadow Pipits, Skylark singing etc etc...

Good day again!

Cheers

ANDY

schiffornis said:
Great looks at a male American Wigeon from about 11:30-13:00 on Bubwith Ings. Also my first Birdforum tick, James (Hotspur). The bird was very mobile but showing to fairly close range at first. The bird didn't appear as striking as i had expected it to be, but was still a very appreciated bird! There seemed a lot more Euro Wigeon on this bit of water compared to the other day (and then lots less at NDCs later)

We had a Sand Martin head south at about 11:40 from Bubwith and then another heading north from NDCs at about 13:30ish.

We had a Buzzard from the Geoff Smith Hide also Dunlin, Ruff, Golden Plover, Lapwing, Redshank, Common Snipe, probable brief look at Jack Snipe, Curlew, 2 Whooper Swans (plus 20-30 distant ones on fields too far to bother with). Also a few Meadow Pipits, Skylark singing etc etc...

Good day again!

Cheers

ANDY
Andy, just a thank-you for the info re North Duffield Carrs. Scouted the site on Monday with wife to see where it was, exactly, then I spent Tuesday there from 7am to 12:30pm. Personally, and relatively 'new' to birding I found it a great spot and it held my interest for ages. Never seen as many species in one spot. Excellent!|=)| , many thanks.

You obviously know this site well and I would ask, is it usual to see so much water there?. My only critisism is that currently it is a spotters site and difficult for photographers where distance is concerned. I'm sure that water stretches to Hull!!.............lol.......

This birding thing can be quite infectious, nearly as bad as macro photography|;| . A couple of highlights for myself (apart from the spotting of all the individual species) was 7 Whoopers taking flight together and right accross the front of the Gargenny? hide and the two appearances of the Peregrine. Boring to you perhaps but there was also a huge Rook there. Walking the strip in front of the second hide there was no problem, nothing bothered it. But as soon as it took-off, it was buzzed constantly by around 10-15 Lapwings. A great day, I really enjoyed it so thanks again|:$|

Denis.

Hi Denis, the amount of water on site is very variable- with little but ditches having water in the summer, having said that the site is pretty much at full capacity at the moment. Bubwith Ings (the other side of the river) has dropped a bit so maybe North Duffield will follow, as the water levels arent managed as they are further up the valley. The site is huge and pretty much stretches from wheldrake down to Bubwith, with parts being broken up into individual reserves. Unfortunately this can lead to birds being very distant and a scope is near essential. Despite this many good birds have been seen in the locale in the last fortnight, with birds of prey such as Buzzard,Peregrine and Red Kite (expect Marsh Harrier and Osprey to pass through soon). Black-necked Grebe at both Wheldrake and North Duffield. An American Wigeon has been see throughout the valley intermittantly and has recently turned up at Bubwith Ings. Also a Green-winged Teal has been seen a few times at North Duffield. Scaup have been present in small numbers. A large herd of Whooper Swans containing a single Bewick's has been present in the area around North Duffield/ Bubwith. Their is also a large Gull roost at Wheldrake which has had at least 5 different Iceland Gulls during the winter and a few Yellow-legged Gulls. As for waders............. Not a bad spot really.

Hotspur said:
Also a Green-winged Teal has been seen a few times at North Duffield. Scaup have been present in small numbers.

Hi James

When was the Green-winged Teal at NDC? One was at Ellerton on 15th Dec and it wouldn't surprise me if this bird had popped across to NDC at some point but I'd not heard of one from NDC. It is still a YNU description species, so whoever had it should do a description.

On a local level, where have the small numbers of Scaup been present? Early in the winter there was a drake briefly at WI, and this was followed by a hybrid aythya resembling a drake Scaup, which were two different birds, but again not aware of any others in the LDV this winter.

As you say though, few better places in Yorkshire at present to be out and about birding away from the LDV and it will presumably get better as the water levels drop a bit, though the gull roost might not have a long shelf life if the Derwent remains at normal levels.

Cheers

Am getting my facts twisted- of course the GWT was at Ellerton and the Scaup were Acaster Melbis. 2nd drake Am. Wigeon at Bubwith- no wonder the bird i saw looked different to your photos Russell.

Hotspur said:
Am getting my facts twisted- of course the GWT was at Ellerton and the Scaup were Acaster Melbis. 2nd drake Am. Wigeon at Bubwith- no wonder the bird i saw looked different to your photos Russell.

Okay, that's a relief. However, the accessibility of NDC ensures that a lot of folk pass through and have a quick look (you don't get your feet muddy!). It wouldn't surprise me if a GW Teal came to light some time after as many visitors there assume that everyone would 'know' about it anyway so might not bother reporting it, so it wouldn't have surprised me to read your comments. Many people assume that the LDV is well covered and that everything is known to the local observers…the Valley is such a vast area that that is certainly not the case.

As for the Am Wig, my pics of it were taken in December, it had advanced a bit by the time I last saw it at Thorganby, and will no doubt be 'further on' by now. Just like buses a 2nd comes along and after years of locals getting eye-strain looking through the Wigeon flocks Am Wigeon is now almost 'common'….
time for a female........

Out and about!

I've been out birding most of the day, not high-octane stuff unfortunately today but still a few interesting year ticks...

Morning trip to Fairburn produced no LEOs unfortunately but first singing Chiffchaff of the year.

Old Moor was very quite (except the very loud people and Black-headed Gulls), lots of Tree Sparrows that are always nice to see!

Wombwell Ings had a few bits 'n' bobs, a couple of Sparrowhawk chasing the Lapwings.

Broomhill Flash was really nice, hundreds of Golden Plovers, Little Ringed Plover and Green Sandpiper were nice, as was a chat to the few yocals!

Loshpotts on the way home produced 4 Buzzard (at the same time), 4 Ringed Plovers, 2 Grey Heron and 3 little Grebe (definately!!!)

Then finally

Knaresborough where 3 Waxwing were exactly where i had left them a few days ago! Still present at this pm (17:00hrs).

A hard slog today though...

Can't believe there are 2 Am Wigs, they're common now!!

Cheers

ANDY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back