• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (105 Viewers)

I just thought I'd pick up on Lawts perception that the large numbers of Storm Petrels recorded in the North Sea might be down to more observers. In my opinion there are far, far fewer birders now working the Yorkshire coast (at least away from Spurn) than there has been since the early 80s. For instance, there is less coverage (virtually none) in the Whitby area, probably a decrease along the Scarborough coastline, certainly much less coverage at Filey, and Flamborough is now only covered by handful of birders on most days.

Is finding your own birds too much like hard work for the Internet instant news generation? ;)

Early bird and all that on the LDV

Missed two Little Egrets by 15 minutes other local birder got two cracking shots, managed good views of a cornbunting in the afternoon but not much else.(too many farmers) :-C

I checked with the Filey ringing group today - no plans to ring Stormies unless the wind changes to a westerly or south-westerly. Northerly forecasted all week. It's an irony but the winds that are bringing the birds are also preventing ringing.

Flamborough still can because of the position of South Landing, so hopefully the 6th is a goer and unaffected by the wind.

Went down Fairburn this afternoon with Ken to investigate the 'new path' from the red shale path to Lin Dyke. Sadly the old route that passed the slurry ponds has been fenced off and you are taken along the river bank. Damn!
There were 4 green sands, 1 common sand and a greenshank on Pickup Pool which was some consolation for this disappointment.
A short trip over to Swilly afterwards was almost as disappointing, Astley Lake being covered with weed. There were good numbers of mallard, gadwall and a single female shoveler on the lake whilst several large trucks were working on the flood defences over by Leventhorpe. All the hirudines were in evidence over both lake and river, but we couldnt find any raptors today. We were just about to leave when Ken managed to locate a female garganey way across the other side of the lake. Good man!

Is finding your own birds too much like hard work for the Internet instant news generation? ;)

Sadly for me, it's too time consuming, taking too many weekend trips birding results in home trouble so I have to make them count.

Perhaps the younger birder has to do a fairer share of house work too? ;)

When chatting to Keith earlier I remembered that I had set up a twitter account for Yorkshire birders. Don't ask me how it works but for those who tweet try @yorkshirebirds

I know there are various other twitter accounts for birding in Yorkshire but I was aiming at a more general site for rarities, reports, rants and reportage. Suck it and see and let me know if you think it might work

Ken did it say where on the reserve?

The spoonbills have been using the island that is opposite village bay hide but may be better seen from the field next to the village. I managed to see them last week when a dinghy flushed them out. The redstarts had previously been seen along the new riverside path but that was over a week ago not far from the turtle doves apparently.

Thanks Chris, we were down the new path today, no redstarts but bags of whitethroats along the riverbank. All young ones so I reckon at least one set of parents got the full brood fledged.
Not so worried about the spoonies, it was the hobby I would have liked to add to my site list. I'd have been sickened if the bird had been seen from the new path...

Thanks Chris, we were down the new path today, no redstarts but bags of whitethroats along the riverbank. All young ones so I reckon at least one set of parents got the full brood fledged.
Not so worried about the spoonies, it was the hobby I would have liked to add to my site list. I'd have been sickened if the bird had been seen from the new path...

Even I've seen a Hobby at Fairburn, & I've only been about 4 times in total ;)

Cheers Mike, grind salt in the wound;)... however I have had cattle egret at Fairburn as well as marsh sandpiper and wood warbler.

Last edited:
Not sure if I should post this but if you click here there is a stunning photo of the summering Long-tailed Skua on Shetland. Makes me want to weep

You will have to scroll down a bit

Hornsea Mere

I went to see the little gulls at hornsea Mere tonight-birdguides reported 3500-awesome spectacle.
For anyone interested there are more shots on the blog.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 74
  • untitled-2.JPG
    untitled-2.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 82
  • untitled-3.JPG
    untitled-3.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 77
  • untitled-4.JPG
    untitled-4.JPG