• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (84 Viewers)

I think the younger generation are pretty much absent. For whatever reason it's become an old man's game!

really? Funny that given that one of the most active threads on BF is the young birders thread, there are quite a few very active and very good young birders around, and I spend most of my time twitching/birding with people under 25. Yes there are alot more people with expensive binoculars and scopes who get in to the game at 40+, and yes alot of the younger generation are finding it harder to get out and about 'cos of expensive petrol/public transport, but there are still a fairly large group of active birders and twitchers under 25.

so no, I don't think its an old man games just yet

Fair point Ollie, but there again when I see young people birding I tend to think 'why aren't you at school'

Hi Ken,

I can seen what you mean, as I am probably one of those you've thought it about. Sometimes it is easier due to family issues on weekdays - but when I have an INSET day or schools closed for some reason. This is because my dad can take me out (by having a days holiday and not annoying the family by going out every weekend).

As an aside I will probably make a trip up to Blacktoft at the weekend and as well as the Marsh Sand', I would also like to be there at high tide, so does anybody know this weekends times and where the best hides to view it are.

Thanks Sam, 14

Hi Ken,

I can seen what you mean, as I am probably one of those you've thought it about. Sometimes it is easier due to family issues on weekdays - but when I have an INSET day or schools closed for some reason. This is because my dad can take me out (by having a days holiday and not annoying the family by going out every weekend).

As an aside I will probably make a trip up to Blacktoft at the weekend and as well as the Marsh Sand', I would also like to be there at high tide, so does anybody know this weekends times and where the best hides to view it are.

Thanks Sam, 14

Sam the Marsh Sandpiper moves around quite a bit but seems to favour singleton and ousefleet. Viewed from the screen at the side of ousefleet. High tide times are around-07:15 +19:45 on saturday and07:45 +20:20 on sunday.

Hi Ken,

Thanks Sam, 14

Sam,
If Blacktoft is really busy,Try going slightly further down to a place called Faxfleet Lane you will get some good views from there of other birds especially Marsh Harriers then you can go back to Blacktoft.Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Major thing to be aware of is that Faxfleet Lane is on the North side of the Humber whilst Blacktoft Sands RSPB reserve is the South of the Ouse.

As the reserve is to the West of the Trent, it's still the Ouse flowing to the North, Faxfleet is opposite the confluence of the Ouse and the Trent so it becomes the Humber there.

As to which hide to be in for the tide, it doesn't really matter, just make sure you know where the marsh sand has been hanging out when you arrive and make your decision based on that.

Sam,
If Blacktoft is really busy,Try going slightly further down to a place called Faxfleet Lane you will get some good views from there of other birds especially Marsh Harriers then you can go back to Blacktoft.Hope this helps.

Major thing to be aware of is that Faxfleet Lane is on the North side of the Humber whilst Blacktoft Sands RSPB reserve is the South of the Ouse.

As the reserve is to the West of the Trent, it's still the Ouse flowing to the North, Faxfleet is opposite the confluence of the Ouse and the Trent so it becomes the Humber there.

As to which hide to be in for the tide, it doesn't really matter, just make sure you know where the marsh sand has been hanging out when you arrive and make your decision based on that.

Fair point Keith, it was just a thought that if Blacktoft is very busy (and you dont know the area) theres not much else on offer, also Sam if you read this check your maps carefully as some google maps show Blacktoft in the Wrong place!

The problem arises from the reserve being named for the sandbank in the river close by the western end of the reserve and not the village on the North bank of the Ouse.

Fair point Keith, it was just a thought that if Blacktoft is very busy (and you dont know the area) theres not much else on offer, also Sam if you read this check your maps carefully as some google maps show Blacktoft in the Wrong place!

really? Funny that given that one of the most active threads on BF is the young birders thread, there are quite a few very active and very good young birders around, and I spend most of my time twitching/birding with people under 25. Yes there are alot more people with expensive binoculars and scopes who get in to the game at 40+, and yes alot of the younger generation are finding it harder to get out and about 'cos of expensive petrol/public transport, but there are still a fairly large group of active birders and twitchers under 25.

so no, I don't think its an old man games just yet

Speaking from experience, the average age of the average birder has increased substantially over the last 20-30 years. Due mainly to the fact that younger birders haven't really swelled the ranks.

This fairly large group of active birders under 25 seem to absent round these parts!

It's a great shame but unfortunately it has become an old mans game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71e5kdMjVGg

It's a very misleading picture at times. There is an older generation of birders but many are actually new to the game - which is fine - the more the merrior whatever age.

It can be misleading though - you get in the hide at say Blacktoft, there's an old boy with all the top gear etc. - you ask what's about and it's quickly apparent he hasn't a clue what he's doing.

There seems an older generation many of them couples - loads more women birding now - but many are very new to the hobby.

This is great, but I'd like to see the younger generation getting involved as well.

Saw a kid at Fairburn the other day - probably about twelve taking photo's of the finches at Pickup - good to see - better than trying to burn it down.

Just on Blacktoft - my first visit back in 1983, I went to the north side first by mistake, assuming the reserve was where the village was - drove round to the reserve and ticked Spoonbill. My second visit, on spec, coincided with the Hudsonian Godwit - joined a queue for a bird I'd never heard of, and duly ticked it before Bar or Black-tailed.

I'm sure the birds were nearer back then as well, with Xerox always the best hide. I know reserves aren't built for birders, they are built for birds, but most stuff is distant now. Rubbish for photography unless you have really top gear - take Singleton - I can remember the ditches just outside the hide full of Green Sands. - now it's a hundred yards of grass between the hide and the birds. The only hide that offers a chance - Marshland has crap light all day. I think it would benefit visitors to have a Frampton/Titchwell type hide where people were closer to the action, and as is proven by those reserves the birds are happy to oblige.

It's a very misleading picture at times. There is an older generation of birders but many are actually new to the game - which is fine - the more the merrior whatever age.

It can be misleading though - you get in the hide at say Blacktoft, there's an old boy with all the top gear etc. - you ask what's about and it's quickly apparent he hasn't a clue what he's doing.

There seems an older generation many of them couples - loads more women birding now - but many are very new to the hobby.

This is great, but I'd like to see the younger generation getting involved as well.

Saw a kid at Fairburn the other day - probably about twelve taking photo's of the finches at Pickup - good to see - better than trying to burn it down.

Just on Blacktoft - my first visit back in 1983, I went to the north side first by mistake, assuming the reserve was where the village was - drove round to the reserve and ticked Spoonbill. My second visit, on spec, coincided with the Hudsonian Godwit - joined a queue for a bird I'd never heard of, and duly ticked it before Bar or Black-tailed.

I'm sure the birds were nearer back then as well, with Xerox always the best hide. I know reserves aren't built for birders, they are built for birds, but most stuff is distant now. Rubbish for photography unless you have really top gear - take Singleton - I can remember the ditches just outside the hide full of Green Sands. - now it's a hundred yards of grass between the hide and the birds. The only hide that offers a chance - Marshland has crap light all day. I think it would benefit visitors to have a Frampton/Titchwell type hide where people were closer to the action, and as is proven by those reserves the birds are happy to oblige.

Very well put Steve, I am new to this game and one thing I have noticed is that many of the hides i visit are either in the wrong place,face the wrong direction or are too high or too low,or where you would think there should be a hide there isn't one. I hope the "people" who make the decisions on these things read your post. (whoever they are!) :t:

Snap! I also ticked Hudsonian Godwit before Bar-tailed!

Hornsea area

Got these at Hornsea yesterday Dunlin? one obvious escapee but i have not got a clue on the other goose any ideas anybody. (the one in the middle)

Attachments

• a1a.jpg
    a1a.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 60
  • g1a.jpg
    g1a.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 97
  • g3a.jpg
    g3a.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 54

Users who are viewing this thread

Back