• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (69 Viewers)

Hello there
A quick question regarding Spurn. What is the reception like around the spurn area with Virgin. Only ask regarding my phone and Birdguides:t: I will be spending 3 days up there wandering around again next week.

Hello there
A quick question regarding Spurn. What is the reception like around the spurn area with Virgin. Only ask regarding my phone and Birdguides:t: I will be spending 3 days up there wandering around again next week.

The answer is nowt as far as I know

and many happy returns Michael

(have a cloth Jim)

Last edited:
I asked a few pages back about Cleethorpes, and been as the lincolnshire part of this forum is erm, quiet shall we say, I hope you don't mind giving your views on this.

Purple Heron.

This morning we went for our daily stroll on the beach, binocs at the ready, sadly no scope, and only the ole SLR, so no photos.

About 400 metres out there was a sandbank, full of Gul, Cormorant and Oystercatcher.

On the same Sandbank was a bird that I have not seen in person, that for us had an awful lot of aspects of a PH. The neck and how it moved resembled what I have seen on video etc. It looked the same size, the same colour, and there was a juvenile Cormorant quite near it, so I hadn't mistaken it for one of them(my dusty eyes cannot be blamed). I am not classing it as a tick on ye olde list, as I am not sure that it would be one, thus me posting on here to ask opinions.

Would we have one here?
Would we have one where it was?
This time of year?
What else could it be?

As I say, I'm not crossing it off as a sighting, would just like to know various opinions.

Last edited:
I asked a few pages back about Cleethorpes, and been as the lincolnshire part of this forum is erm, quiet shall we say, I hope you don't mind giving your views on this.

Purple Heron.

This morning we went for our daily stroll on the beach, binocs at the ready, sadly no scope, and only the ole SLR, so no photos.

About 400 metres out there was a sandbank, full of Gul, Cormorant and Oystercatcher.

On the same Sandbank was a bird that I have not seen in person, that for us had an awful lot of aspects of a PH. The neck and how it moved resembled what I have seen on video etc. It looked the same size, the same colour, and there was a juvenile Cormorant quite near it, so I hadn't mistaken it for one of them(my dusty eyes cannot be blamed). I am not classing it as a tick on ye olde list, as I am not sure that it would be one, thus me posting on here to ask opinions.

Would we have one here?
This time of year?
What else could it be?

As I say, I'm not crossing it off as a sighting, would just like to know various opinions.

Well it could be. As it was on the beach it would suggest a new arrival. They are quite scarce at anytime in the UK and most records are in the summer. Also the winds at the mo dont favour birds coming from the continent. Also, I dont mean to be derogatory, but have you considered Grey Heron? They are very common in the UK and I notice that you didnt mention it.

Sam

One more question, when was the bird seen? There was a crane seen in Lincs yesterday morn on a sandbank along the coast which then headed NW...

Edit:- one seen at Budle Bay, N'berland this afternoon...

Last edited:

Purple Heron.

Would we have one here?
This time of year?
What else could it be?

Please try and describe what you saw, but in more detail.Not impossible, but there are possible confusion species.If you took any images,no matter how poor they might seem,please post them!!

Paul

Well it could be. As it was on the beach it would suggest a new arrival. They are quite scarce at anytime in the UK and most records are in the summer. Also the winds at the mo dont favour birds coming from the continent. Also, I dont mean to be derogatory, but have you considered Grey Heron? They are very common in the UK and I notice that you didnt mention it.

Sam

Thanks for the reply. And no problem with the derogatory part of it, as you say I didn't mention it! It wasn't a grey heron, Looked smaller (we had been watching two grey heron about an hour before ransacking a fishing lake).

The colour of the neck stood out to me, more colourful than GH, along with a more darker appearance.

The bird was out from near Thorpe Park, from the beach it was more or less directly in front of one of the sea forts.

The bird was quite static, with not the easiest of views to see it straight on. Distance not helping matters obviously.

The bird looked lost, if that makes sense, preening and looking at it's surroundings. We watched it from around 10:15 to 10:30am.

Sorry if that's vague!

Thanks for the comments guys.

I believe it is a juvenile Arctic also
Arctic can show two crescents e.g. http://www.avesymas.com/paja77.JPG
The base of the wings are too narrow, and the overall colouration, especially around the head and collar, is too gingery

Geoff Dobbs
East Yorkshire Recorder

at the risk of waking sleeping dogs:

could someone explain to me why the skua in flight here ("http://www.surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/gallery/display.cgi?gallery=gallery12") is an Arctic and not a Pom?

and just to cheer folks up, here's some more folks who find skua ID hard:http://www.cvlbirding.co.uk/kev/skua.html

at the risk of waking sleeping dogs:

could someone explain to me why the skua in flight here ("http://www.surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/gallery/display.cgi?gallery=gallery12") is an Arctic and not a Pom?

and just to cheer folks up, here's some more folks who find skua ID hard:http://www.cvlbirding.co.uk/kev/skua.html

Cracking articles...again makes me feel less inept.So i might have seen a Pom, but will never know it!:smoke:

Have a scary post for Yorkshire birders later!

Oh no!

Here is the scarey one!If you missed last Winter on this forum then you won't have a clue!.They are back at Redhouse,mixed flock 100+ Lessers/siskin/Goldfinches.I'm glad to see them, one of joys of patch watching!
I promise will only post on 'yorkshire redpoll ' forum, unless i find a true goody!

;)

Attachments

• redpoll112.jpg
    redpoll112.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 85
  • siskin12.jpg
    siskin12.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 95
Thanks for the reply. And no problem with the derogatory part of it, as you say I didn't mention it! It wasn't a grey heron, Looked smaller (we had been watching two grey heron about an hour before ransacking a fishing lake).

The colour of the neck stood out to me, more colourful than GH, along with a more darker appearance.

The bird was out from near Thorpe Park, from the beach it was more or less directly in front of one of the sea forts.

The bird was quite static, with not the easiest of views to see it straight on. Distance not helping matters obviously.

The bird looked lost, if that makes sense, preening and looking at it's surroundings. We watched it from around 10:15 to 10:30am.

Sorry if that's vague!

Thanks for the comments guys.

With lots of 'yank' birds around, might even be worth considering Great Blue, though that might be stretching it a bit!;)

Anybody know if the Common Crane is still at Nosterfield? Heading up that way on Sunday with the family and thought of dropping in. If so, where is the best place to view it from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back