• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (67 Viewers)

sort of and there was. Azure looks to be an escaped Yellow-breasted Tit with the Sooty Tern seen briefly on three different reservoirs before disappearing with another or the same later seen on Northern Ireland and another off Suffolk.

All sightings of Sooty Tern in NE England are erroneous [RBA]. One of the other reports was a Black Tern?
Interesting report of prob Sandhill Crane flying south over Scotland/Northumberland this morning but no further news. Over the Narrows tomorrow?
Also 1 or 2 Fea's off Essex/Suffolk/Norfolk. Flamborough tomorrow?

All sightings of Sooty Tern in NE England are erroneous [RBA]. One of the other reports was a Black Tern?
Interesting report of prob Sandhill Crane flying south over Scotland/Northumberland this morning but no further news. Over the Narrows tomorrow?

I'm gonna be at the head from first light. Fingers crossed.

Thanks contractor reminded as its a design fault, let me know (PM) if not done in a couple of weeks.
Cheers

Ok. Tempted to have a go myself but will wait a while. Problem is so called "anglers", although it's not allowed, like making bonfires and I'd hate to see the sign going on one. Any chance of YWT taking on High Eske NR as it appears Hull and District Angler are the only contenders at the moment and this would seriously diminish the site for wildlife.

I'm gonna be at the head from first light. Fingers crossed.

Has anyone got a decent photograph of a young/juvenile Red Grouse. Do they have grey markings on their head? I saw something hanging around a grouse and I wanted to eliminate anything else

Popped down to Fairburn early doors, Green Sandpiper, Blackwit, Dunlin, Lesser Redpoll , Willow tits and a possible Redwing being the highlights. No Sacred Ibis seen, probably the Cheshire bird.

Head was pretty slow this morning - a couple of Balearics just before I arrived and a slow movement of Sooties, Manxies, Arctics and Bonxies plus a good number of Teal and RT Divers. On the land wasnt much better with a juv Hobby giving good views over Old Fall plus a handful of Blackcaps & Whitethroat and a fly over Snipe

SPRAWK INFO REQ'D.
Has anyone heard of sparrow hawks been interested in taking fish. I ask because I have just seen one sat on the Lily pads on my pond. It was certainly not bathing and if it just called in for a drink it certainly took its time as I watched it for about four mins. not really doing anything other than looking in the water. By the way, the fish have been very reluctant to come up for food this last week and I was originally thinking they had been spooked by a heron. Also, I have seen the sprawk land in the same place in a large conifer now on three occasions. Has anyone ever heard of these birds nesting in conifers, or is it just using it as a lookout spot.
Regards
Dave

A few hours after the cruise

Hi

After the Skua cruise on Sunday can anyone give a location idea to kill a few hours close to Brid and hopefully pick up something worthwhile?

Lapland bunts? or anything else about worth chancing

Cheers
Dave

Hi

After the Skua cruise on Sunday can anyone give a location idea to kill a few hours close to Brid and hopefully pick up something worthwhile?

Lapland bunts? or anything else about worth chancing

Cheers
Dave

Flamborough head, especially if there is some east in the wind. Hornsea mere and Tophill low can be decent.

Head was pretty slow this morning - a couple of Balearics just before I arrived and a slow movement of Sooties, Manxies, Arctics and Bonxies plus a good number of Teal and RT Divers. On the land wasnt much better with a juv Hobby giving good views over Old Fall plus a handful of Blackcaps & Whitethroat and a fly over Snipe

What happened to first light James?

Thankfully, I didn't worry about early mornings, too much of a hangover. Things got a bit better after you left James, had a juv Sabs, Grey Phal, a Balearic shear, BT Diver, Black Tern and decent numbers of the commoner stuff in 8 1/2 hours from late morning. Also had a Redstart making its way up to the foghorn station, clearly freshly in off and a juv Merlin hunting over the gorse field

What happened to first light James?

Thankfully, I didn't worry about early mornings, too much of a hangover. Things got a bit better after you left James, had a juv Sabs, Grey Phal, a Balearic shear, BT Diver, Black Tern and decent numbers of the commoner stuff in 8 1/2 hours from late morning. Also had a Redstart making its way up to the foghorn station, clearly freshly in off and a juv Merlin hunting over the gorse field

I was running 40 mins late due to dead phone/alarm clock. I gave up at 10.30ish due to brain failure. Sounds steady rather than electric but a few decent birds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back