• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (108 Viewers)

Spent a couple of hours after work this afternoon looking for the Wryneck at North Landing, Flamborough. Was hoping to find a crowd of birders with the said bird located in a small bush. Yer right!
Needless to say, was only a handfull of birders in the ravine, none had seen the bird themselves. Could have been a thousand Wrynecks hidden in the huge area of gorse! No other migrants seen, apart from a couple of Whitethroats.

While I'm having a moan... the other night I was leaving Flamborough Head after another Melodious Dip when I saw a couple of birders looking through scopes at the road side, obviously watching a decent bird. I stopped my car and politely asked them if they had anything good. They looked at me as if I had two heads, before returning to their scopes. One of their wives then suggested they were just looking for something, nothing good.

Found out the next day they had a Greenish Warbler!!! Now it is possible that at the point I stopped, they had not identified the bird, etc, etc, but I was bloody gutted all the same.

Moan over.

I know the feeling Mike. A couple of blokes had been watching the Mel. Warbler for ages before I spotted them and asked what they were watching, when I went for seconds of it on Saturday morning. They were very reluctant to let anyone know. These weren't locals either - is it something about the place that does this to people! I can't understand it myself. Anyhow, got good second views.

I dipped the Wryneck this afternoon (was there about 12:00 - 14:30). Saw a couple of birders, but as you say hardly anyone looking.

Also, over the weekend did Birdguides briefly say a Purple Heron was at Nosterfield? I got a text but all trace of this seems to have vanished subsequently.

I know the feeling Mike. A couple of blokes had been watching the Mel. Warbler for ages before I spotted them and asked what they were watching, when I went for seconds of it on Saturday morning. They were very reluctant to let anyone know. These weren't locals either - is it something about the place that does this to people! I can't understand it myself. Anyhow, got good second views.

I dipped the Wryneck this afternoon (was there about 12:00 - 14:30). Saw a couple of birders, but as you say hardly anyone looking.

Also, over the weekend did Birdguides briefly say a Purple Heron was at Nosterfield? I got a text but all trace of this seems to have vanished subsequently.

I think I might have seen you this afternoon. Were you with another bloke sat at the top of the ravine? I think I spoke to you briefly.

While I have met many friendly birders at Flamborough, I certainly agree that there seems to be an element that are reluctant to share news with others. I have found that some of the locals are much more friendly once they have seen you around a few times.

I also got a text about a Purple Heron. Thought I must be going mad when it wasn't on the Birdmap.

I think I might have seen you this afternoon. Were you with another bloke sat at the top of the ravine? I think I spoke to you briefly.

While I have met many friendly birders at Flamborough, I certainly agree that there seems to be an element that are reluctant to share news with others. I have found that some of the locals are much more friendly once they have seen you around a few times.

I also got a text about a Purple Heron. Thought I must be going mad when it wasn't on the Birdmap.

Mike, it wasn't me. I had four kids in tow, so spent most of the time rock-pooling. I did speak to a couple of guys together, and saw a lone birder across the other side - may have been you? I had some ridiculous surf dude shorts on, so was fairly easy to pick out....unlike the Wryneck!

Purple Heron - let me explain.

I got the same alert so I went and had a look, only for it to have changed to 'reported purple heron is a turnstone'.

I nearly did the copy screen thing and post it here as it was so bizarre!

Any meterologists know wether Wednesday will still hold seabirds? Reckon I can get a trip to the coast.

Holiday in Kilnsea

Hi

We have just booked a weeks holiday in a cottage in Kilnsea in early September.
Any local blogs for this area? :news:

or any places we should head for

Ta in advance
:t:
OBE

I got the same alert so I went and had a look, only for it to have changed to 'reported purple heron is a turnstone'.

Any meterologists know wether Wednesday will still hold seabirds? Reckon I can get a trip to the coast.

Purple Heron......Turnstone - I can see how one might get confused.

Don't know about Wednesday - it looks like all the birds that got blown down in those northerlies are making there way back north. The best stuff seems higher up now off Northumberland. The forecast is for light variable winds. Probably worth a glance if you've got the time but may not be spectacular.

If nothing doing Marcus, head to Hornsea Mere and photograph some Little Gulls - a few years since I've been but the photography opportunities were superb.

Also worth a glance at Muston on the flood for photographing the Wood Sandpiper (see Russell Hayes' images on Birdguides) - sun in right position in afternoon.

Purple Heron......Turnstone - I can see how one might get confused.

Don't know about Wednesday - it looks like all the birds that got blown down in those northerlies are making there way back north. The best stuff seems higher up now off Northumberland. The forecast is for light variable winds. Probably worth a glance if you've got the time but may not be spectacular.

If nothing doing Marcus, head to Hornsea Mere and photograph some Little Gulls - a few years since I've been but the photography opportunities were superb.

Also worth a glance at Muston on the flood for photographing the Wood Sandpiper (see Russell Hayes' images on Birdguides) - sun in right position in afternoon.

Thanks Lawts, maybe able to chance my arm with a quick look

Mike, it wasn't me. I had four kids in tow, so spent most of the time rock-pooling. I did speak to a couple of guys together, and saw a lone birder across the other side - may have been you? I had some ridiculous surf dude shorts on, so was fairly easy to pick out....unlike the Wryneck!

I was the lone birder- I saw you talking to the two blokes at the bottom of the ravine (I remember your shorts!).

You could always take a walk along Bridlington harbour. Saw loads of Purple Herons there this morning.

Hi all,
Been this afternoon looking for Methley Quarry, from the map on Birdguides it is on Park Lane, there is nothing resembling a quarry on that road, and everyone must be still in bed as there was no one to ask.
I had intended taking a few photos of Dunlin a Green Sandpiper and a Little Stint, but not to be.
Any help in directions will be appreciated.

I've only got near Methley by following the footpath from Swillington Ings while on my bike. Not sure if this was the part you'd want but I got scratched up where the path became overgrown. I was wearing t shirt and shorts (so it shouldn't be bad for someone dressed sensibly) and turned back when it got too overgrown. Saw a marsh harrier there yesterday, could see it from the riverside at Allerton Bywater.
Chris.

Been at a wedding on Monday - got my first hobby for Yorks on the way up. Drove the long way back on the coast getting Arctic Skua at Whitby, Med Gull at Scalby and Barred Warbler and RB Shrike in the same hedge at Flamboro. RB Shirke was 200 for yorkshire -179 for yorks this year. Cracking!!

Been at a wedding on Monday - got my first hobby for Yorks on the way up. Drove the long way back on the coast getting Arctic Skua at Whitby, Med Gull at Scalby and Barred Warbler and RB Shrike in the same hedge at Flamboro. RB Shirke was 200 for yorkshire -179 for yorks this year. Cracking!!

Nice one! where exactly were the shrike and warbler? Was thinking of having a look but wasn't sure of the exact location. Assume they were down the track just before the Viking Pub?

Took ages to find em actually- they were in a hedge next to the fishin pond at the caravan park at thornwick bay. Directions were pants-only found em as i went to the north landing car park and saw a group of twitchers in the distance

Took ages to find em actually- they were in a hedge next to the fishin pond at the caravan park at thornwick bay. Directions were pants-only found em as i went to the north landing car park and saw a group of twitchers in the distance

Know exactly where you mean. That explains the fisherman's car park bit! Pass that area tomorrow so might be taking my bins. Cheers.

I'm restricted to the house at present, so can only wonder at the commitment of some of you, but "Today in my garden" has seen:

16 chaffinches on the lawn at one time, plus one on a bird feeder (a rare event); dozens of blue tits; great tits; a coal tit or two; greenfinches with young; dunnocks teaching their young how to mooch in the bed edges; male, female and young-ish greater spotted woodpecker; a pair of amorous woodpigeon; stock dove; collared doves; long-tailed tit; blackbirds (we have a less than Beckham-esque blackbird couple - she does not use her right leg too well and he has a scabby-looking grey/white head); magpies; jays (being frightened off by magpies); jackdaws and one carrion crow. Also, squirrels by the (half) dozen, including a local favourite that has no tail, but toys with any cat that tries to 'hunt' it, the nutter.

None of your real rarities, but I do like watching them all.

Cheers Boz,
I'm very jealous of your woodpeckers, I only get them in the garden very occasionally.
At the moment we have a blackbird brood that are almost fully fledged and careering about the bushes like mad things. I should start seeing the jays back soon as the oak tree is just starting to get the acorns, although knowing my luck the jays will visit when I'm at work.
Do you use Birdtrack to record your sightings? The BTO can use all the information that you can supply as it enables them to build a more accurate picture of the birdlife of the UK.

I'm even more of a novice after today than I thought I was - I've never even never heard of Birdtrack (though I did do that Bill Oddie/RSPB Birdwatch day in January!)

I've got a pic of two of 'my' woodpecker - if I can work out how to post it on here, I'll stick it somewhere appropriate.

Had a trip to Blacktoft today to catch the top of the tide. Fair number of waders including Sanderling, Knot, Greenshank, Black-tailed Godwit, Ruff and Snipe. Marsh Harrier doing its stuff from Singleton hide. The warden has managed to lower the water level at Singleton and this has attracted a lot of waders. Well done Pete. Lots of butterflies on the Buddleia in the car park. Mainly Red Admiral, Speckled Wood and Small Tortoiseshell enjoying the welcome sunshine.

Had a trip to Blacktoft today to catch the top of the tide. Fair number of waders including Sanderling, Knot, Greenshank, Black-tailed Godwit, Ruff and Snipe. Marsh Harrier doing its stuff from Singleton hide. The warden has managed to lower the water level at Singleton and this has attracted a lot of waders. Well done Pete. Lots of butterflies on the Buddleia in the car park. Mainly Red Admiral, Speckled Wood and Small Tortoiseshell enjoying the welcome sunshine.

I was there on the 19th August and the water was well up so he's done a cracking job to get some mud for the waders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back