• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (97 Viewers)

Called in at Old Moor today and had a magical hour or so. Black Tern, Green Sand, Greenshank, 6 little egret, Ruff, Dunlin and Ringer plover.

Then called in at Pugneys and found another black tern!

What's going on? Bit of luck for the Conway? Will try and keep it for the cruise on Sunday week.

Loshpotts

First visit for a few weeks was resonably rewarding tonight:

**Grey Wagtail - 1 (juvenile) - site first** (on scrape)
Barnacle Goose - 1 - site first (but obviously suspect)
Lapwing - c.150 - site max. count
Mallard - c.110 - site max. count
Black-headed Gull - c.80-100 - site max. count
Common Gull - 3
Little Grebe - 2
Grey Heron - 1
Great Crested Grebe - 1 - bird still present from last visit so clearly water has some life in it!
Tufted Duck - c.50
Coot - c.20 (including pair with 4 young on small pond)
Greylag/Canada - mixed flock c.200
Hare - 1 - good site for them.

What was disappointing was the absence of any other waders.

Warmsworth

The quarry here had three Raven on 26/8, and has had Raven in 2006.

Does anyone know anything more about this site - i.e. how to work it, and how regular Raven are, and are they visiting the quarry or are they fly-overs?

This plus any other recent info. on Yorkshire Ravens much appreciated.

Cross post from another Yorkshire thread as suggested by Rozinante

I have never seen many owls and whilst I would like to get the chance to photograph some I would be happy just to see them.

Has anybody got any suggestions as to where (pref. Leeds area) would provide me a good opportunity

TIA

John
There's a Little Owl resident at Fairburn Ings, if you're interested pm me for details,
pete

Loshpotts

Quick visit last night to try to count the geese - more than I thought!

Canada Geese - 145
Greylags - c.200
Barnacle Goose (feral) - 1
Snow Goose (feral) - 1

Also:

3 Little Grebe
1 Great Crested Grebe
2 Grey Heron
1 Lesser Black-backed with the Black-headed Gulls
1 medium-sized wader that left and flew away from me with the Lapwings when they were flushed - couldn't get a make.

But what flushed them - a Peregrine, or perhaps even an Osprey looking for a fish - anywhere else it would have been but no...some bloke with his dog - that's Losh!

Ravens

The quarry here had three Raven on 26/8, and has had Raven in 2006.

Does anyone know anything more about this site - i.e. how to work it, and how regular Raven are, and are they visiting the quarry or are they fly-overs?

This plus any other recent info. on Yorkshire Ravens much appreciated.

Hi Lawts

Recent Raven News:

2 birds present at Scar House Res. yesterday, also a single bird present a week or so previous to that.

Cheers

Andy

For anyone who hasn't heard yet.
The RSPB Skua and Shearwater cruise from Bridlington had their first Great Shearwater since 1994 today.
Picked up and called by none other than our very own HOTSPUR!!!!!!

Well done James

I'll post a complete list of the birds seen today on the cruise and the other jaunts tomorrow....I'm totally cream-crackered now. But I'll second John...well done James.

Yes very well done James. It was an excellent find, and just a shame it didn't settle back down on the sea....... but I'm not complaining! I think your shout made it fly - I know I nearly fell overboard.

Nice to put faces to names today, even though we split early. Marcus, looking forward to you posting a few shots.

Interestingly, Birdguides has just put out the list of birds seen......Balearic Shearwater?!

Apparently there was a bang on Balearic Shear off the back but flew away before it could be announced. Plus the bird me and marcus got slowly more convinced about just after the great shear. Still wouldn't tick it mind. BTW thanks everyone. I promise i wont mention it next time. Keith got Reed Bunting on way home.

I had a quick trip down to Swillington today, you could tell the weather had changed as the birds were very few. No hirudines at all, last week there had been plenty hawking over the water.
Best birds of the day were 5 dunlin which flew in to feed on one of the shingle islands.

On a different subject anybody else doing any fieldwork for the new BTO Atlas? I've taken on a couple of tetrads for the timed walk. More info here . I noticed that the tetrads covering Barnbow Common were still unchosen, I'd take them myself but I don't know the area well enough. Surely one of you guys who do work the area could spare a few hours to help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back