• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (11 Viewers)

Grey Phalarope seen yesterday and today on the Mere at Old Moor, this is from the Barnsley Birding web site and from Dave Simmonite who reports on Old Moor RSPB web site......just enough excitement to get me over there early tmrw
Joe

Grey Phalarope seen yesterday and today on the Mere at Old Moor, this is from the Barnsley Birding web site and from Dave Simmonite who reports on Old Moor RSPB web site......just enough excitement to get me over there early tmrw
Joe

No grey phal on Old Moor yesterday .. It was found at 6:45 this morning ... :t: Still on at dusk by the way ...

Last edited:
No grey phal on Old Moor yesterday .. It was found at 6:45 this morning ... :t: Still on at dusk by the way ...

Yes, sorry Dave...got my days mixed with Thrs and Fri.....went this morning (why don't RSPB sites open early...had to wait 'til 9.30...:C ..) Triple dipped on Grey Phal...Little Gull and Arctic Tern....but did have excellent close views of a Hobby snatch at a Linnet sat on a thistle right in front of the hide, the Linnet escaped but the views of the Hobby twisting and turning in front of us were really good. Then later we had a juv. Peregrine doing the same trying to get amongst the BH gulls and Lapwings, worth the trip for those two....other birds seen were, Green and Common S/piper,BT Godwit, Lit Egret, Greenshank, Redshank, Buzzard,along with the usual com water birds.
Joe
PS... IMHO... this has now developed into a really good reserve for both birders ( with recent highlights e.g. Bitterns successfully rearing 3 young) and families..

Last edited:
Yes, sorry Dave...got my days mixed with Thrs and Fri.....went this morning (why don't RSPB sites open early...had to wait 'til 9.30...:C ..) Triple dipped on Grey Phal...Little Gull and Arctic Tern....but did have excellent close views of a Hobby snatch at a Linnet sat on a thistle right in front of the hide, the Linnet escaped but the views of the Hobby twisting and turning in front of us were really good. Then later we had a juv. Peregrine doing the same trying to get amongst the BH gulls and Lapwings, worth the trip for those two....other birds seen were, Green and Common S/piper,BT Godwit, Lit Egret, Greenshank, Redshank, Buzzard,along with the usual com water birds.
Joe
PS... IMHO... this has now developed into a really good reserve for both birders ( with recent highlights e.g. Bitterns successfully rearing 3 young) and families..
Hi Joe,
Nice to meet up with you again. As you said, missed out on a few but had a good morning anyway. Highlight for me today, apart from the Peregrine were the two young lads sat beside us , full of enthusiasm and with eyes that work (I think we would have missed the Hobby without his help). It's good to see youngsters that have made their own decisions to go out there and not have been dragged along by parents. Will pm you for Nightjar walk, hope we get some decent weather.
Dave

Semi-p

Shame about the "Semi-p" this morning - thought I was going to sort out a bird I need for Yorkshire and have dipped on previously. It was distant but clearly too big - bossing the Dunlins as it fed. Ah well - here's to the next one.

Good sightings today at the wykeham raptor view point:

A honey buzzard having a brief tussle with a goshawk. Also sparrowhawk, red kite, common buzzard, a peregrine & i missed a hobby.

I've made 3 visits there & seen goshawk on all 3 & honey buzzard for the 1st time today.

I spent afew hours last night in the forest but i didnt even hear a nightjar. Would anyone know why?

Chris

I spent afew hours last night in the forest but i didnt even hear a nightjar. Would anyone know why?

Chris

I've a feeling it might be a bit late in the year...but then I've never tried nightjarring this late.

I had two birds three weeks ago in a large area of clearfell. Driving from Wykeham village, you get to the T junction with a car parking area in front of you. You would go left to the raptor viewpoint, go right instead down the road marked 'Unsuitable for motor vehicles' (drive at 3 mph and dodge the potholes with care!) After maybe a mile you get to a large area of clearfell on the right; that was where I saw them.

I've a feeling it might be a bit late in the year...but then I've never tried nightjarring this late.

I had two birds three weeks ago in a large area of clearfell. Driving from Wykeham village, you get to the T junction with a car parking area in front of you. You would go left to the raptor viewpoint, go right instead down the road marked 'Unsuitable for motor vehicles' (drive at 3 mph and dodge the potholes with care!) After maybe a mile you get to a large area of clearfell on the right; that was where I saw them.

Thanks for that. I'll probs wait until next year then. I thought you had a good chance of seeing them anytime between june & august. What is the best time for next year?

Nightjars

Thanks for that. I'll probs wait until next year then. I thought you had a good chance of seeing them anytime between june & august. What is the best time for next year?

Went out last night on Nightjar watch along with Joespy, Mick , and Barry. A very good evening was had by all, we heard probably 5 or 6 churring Nightjars and had four very good views. These were possibly the same bird but it kept coming back right over our heads. At one time it hovered right in front of us to catch an insect ( I didn't realise they did that) it then momentarily settled on a post right in front of us. They started to become active at about 9.30. On the way back we had a Tawny Owl calling, but it never showed itself.
GO FOR IT TYSON.

Went out last night on Nightjar watch along with Joespy, Mick , and Barry. A very good evening was had by all, we heard probably 5 or 6 churring Nightjars and had four very good views. These were possibly the same bird but it kept coming back right over our heads. At one time it hovered right in front of us to catch an insect ( I didn't realise they did that) it then momentarily settled on a post right in front of us. They started to become active at about 9.30. On the way back we had a Tawny Owl calling, but it never showed itself.
GO FOR IT TYSON.

Yes, excellent views Dave, thanks for that. The best I've had and so close, and after well dowsing with anti-midge stuff.:eek!:..no consequences this morning...:t:
Cheers Joe

GO FOR IT TYSON.

Where was this please?

Osprey

There were two Ospreys showing at Welbeck Raptor Viewpoint yesterday
along with a Peregrine mobbing one of the Ospreys, apparently they have been
there around a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back