• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (8 Viewers)

Just come back from a weekend at Filey and Hornsea. Was hoping for a high tide tern roost at Filey Brigg (ideally including Roseate) but nothing doing, just some Sandwich and Common Terns flying over. How reliable is this roost? I was wondering if the weekend disturbance was a problem, or do they only roost in the evening (high tide was around midday).

A few Little Gulls at Hornsea but only single figure counts and all tatty as hell (even the adult summer present). Got a few shots from a rowing boat but nothing special.

The waders on Filey Brigg on Sunday morning were really good though. Three obliging Knot, two Sanderling, a juv Purple sand, plus Ringed Plover, Dunlin, Turnstone and Redshank. I've known for years that Filey is good for close views of waders but that's the first time I've ever had any real success.

The habitat along the coastal path from Kettleness Point in the north, right through to Robin Hood's Bay in the South is fantastic habitat for migrants. Walk along the coastal path (the Cleveland Way?), or explore the network of paths across the inland fields and keep your eyes peeled for migrants.

I'd have thought most of the birds would have been off the moors by September, especially later in the month, but the area to the North of Helmsley and Kirkbymoorside is good if you want to try, although I suspect there is as good closer to Whitby.

Wykeham forest is worth a look at the raptor viewpoints for goshawk, crossbill etc

Let us know how you get on at Whitby

Ollie

Indeed I will and thanks for the advice.

another viewpoint

Three weeks in Spain and fascinating stuff. non of the birds below had the locals in a flutter but they were very impressed with goldfinch, great tit and the star bird was Blackbird !!! (how we take these for granted!)

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 92
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 86
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 71
  • s3a.jpg
    s3a.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 67
  • s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Wasn't expecting to see a Turnstone in that sequence. I'd hazard a guess, based on no knowledge whatsoever, that it's a good record. But there again I know little of their summer distribution

Astley Lake 18/8/12

Hi - a rather hot and humid afternoon on Saturday down at the bird hide overlooking Astley Lake (my Dad is a member of the Swillington Ings Bird Group so we go in with him)

3 Marsh (not March as I originally put!) Harriers flying around annoying the lapwings, including a rather scruffy looking one (pictured - I am slowly getting the hang of digiscoping!)

A Hobby landed in the field on the hill (at the back of where the geese normally are), might have been seen later down over the reeds as well.

A Turnstone (not seen one inland before, thought they were coastal) pottering around one of the chain islands

Also more common birds around such as a Common Tern, a Goosander, Buzzard, Gadwall etc

Michael

Attachments

• lapwings mobbing marsh harrier.jpg
    lapwings mobbing marsh harrier.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 88
  • marsh harrier.jpg
    marsh harrier.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I'd red kite over the Swillington Park area Friday am on my commute to Castleford, buzzards are common around there as well. Hobby would have been a nice one for me. Yet to get one in Yorkshire this year.

more pics of the Marsh Harriers at Astley 18/8

more digiscoped pics of the marsh harrier yesterday.

Yes, thank you Ken for spotting my typo!

Attachments

• Copy of july aug 2012 068.jpg
    Copy of july aug 2012 068.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Copy of july aug 2012 075.jpg
    Copy of july aug 2012 075.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Wasn't expecting to see a Turnstone in that sequence. I'd hazard a guess, based on no knowledge whatsoever, that it's a good record. But there again I know little of their summer distribution

Did a bit of swatting on the turnstone, turns out they are circumpolar navigators (if you believe wiki) and can be found as far away as South Africa and Australia.

Had a strange one today Starling chick being bombarded by up to 20 birds in the garden this morning culprit below never seen anything like it before, did not think they were so aggressive!!

Attachments

• h1a.jpg
    h1a.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Osprey - Lockwood Beck

Still present yesterday evening. It seems fairly reliable for anyone who needs Osprey for Yorkshire. Judging by the shots on Birdguides it can show very well at times as well.

Pretty sure I had a Merlin whilst doing the circular walk of the reservoir but it was on to a group of young Willow Warblers and mixed Coal and Great Tits so fast I nver got on it properly.

Steve

Well I don't know what happened then... tried to edit my post and it disappeared...lol.

Yep the area is in Yorkshire, can't believe Ken was the person who sent me a link to the map of the Watsonian Counties and yet he called it wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back