• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (5 Viewers)

Ldv

A strange one this...first pic shows upto 300 (many more behind this first group) lapwing in the sky like a silver streak in the sunlight second pic shows zoomed image and what appears to be a dunlin where ever it went the lappies followed..very odd!!

http://zingsldv.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• lap1.jpg
    lap1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 108
  • l2.jpg
    l2.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
A strange one this...first pic shows upto 300 (many more behind this first group) lapwing in the sky like a silver streak in the sunlight second pic shows zoomed image and what appears to be a dunlin where ever it went the lappies followed..very odd!!

http://zingsldv.blogspot.co.uk/

Interesting. I reckon that the Dunlin is not the 'leader' though, it is merely at the front and 'following' the rest of the groups movements.

Apperley Bridge thrush

I've not posted on the Yorkshire blog before, But I'd be grateful for opinions on this thrush seen at lunchtime today by the river in Apperley Bridge.
I think it's a likely oddly plumaged juv blackbird, but it just looked a bit odd.
Sorry I only had a few, quick record shots through my bins with my phone.
This picture is heavily cropped...
Thanks.

This looks odd for a juv blackbird to me. Is the bird still in the area? Has red-throated thrush been considered? Certainly one for the id forum to get a more informed view.

Hi there,

I live in Sheffield and have only been birding seriously for 8 months but in that time I've been amazed by the wonderful generosity in helping a notice birder that many of my local birders have shown me along the way. I don't know the names of many of you, folks that I've met in some hide, out on the coast or in some field or another but just wanted to say a big thank you and a happy New Year to all of you.

Kindest regards
Clive

Hi there,

I live in Sheffield and have only been birding seriously for 8 months but in that time I've been amazed by the wonderful generosity in helping a notice birder that many of my local birders have shown me along the way. I don't know the names of many of you, folks that I've met in some hide, out on the coast or in some field or another but just wanted to say a big thank you and a happy New Year to all of you.

Kindest regards
Clive

Happy new year back and to everyone else here. This forum is a good place for tips and advice in general, it'll come in very handy for you as there are a few others from the Sheffield area.

Happy New Year!

Over 100 waxwings in Hudds this morning before I headed over to Pugneys then Wintersett.

2 more waxwings by the road between Pugneys and Calder wetlands, the latter had Scaup and Long tailed duck too.

Highlight from Wintersett was a drake Smew but I had to get very muddy to view it. Also great to see a green woodpecker in almost exactly the same spot as last year on the 1st Jan just outside the hide viewing over Anglers lake. No sign of the American wigeon today but there is another long tailed duck here too.

First lifer of the year for me today, Brambling. 10-15 of them on a local patch, thanks to AW for this one! They were in with a flock of 100+ finches including greenfinch, chaffinch, goldfinch and linnet. Also had a very plucky robin who seemed to be oblivious of me, or just tempting me into yet another image of a robin!

Attachments

• Brambling 3.jpg
    Brambling 3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Brambling 5.jpg
    Brambling 5.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Brambling 6.jpg
    Brambling 6.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 82
  • robin.jpg
    robin.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 57
Foot It Challenge 1st Walk

Managed 37 species in a 9ish mile walk. Home to Eccup Reservoir then on to Adel Dams and then back home. Feet were okay until the last half mile, then it was like walking on razors. Best sighting HERE

Last edited:
Happy New Year.

Had an enjoyable but also an exhausting day on the bike today - out for nearly 7 hours, currently sat on a nice plump cushion!!!.

Spent most of the day at Wintersett/Anglers - never seen so many Birders there, even on previous New Years day visits - there were queues at the hide!!! Saw all the 'highlight' birds but must admit to really enjoying the showy Green Woodpecker near the hide - with the sun on it at 20 feet away - magic. Finally caught up with the Smew which I think was giving the majority (including me) the 'run around' in the afternoon.

Hope someone can clarify the following - is all of the Fairburnings reserve open as I heard it was recently closed due to flooding - cheers for any info you can provide on this.

John

First lifer of the year for me today, Brambling. 10-15 of them on a local patch, thanks to AW for this one! They were in with a flock of 100+ finches including greenfinch, chaffinch, goldfinch and linnet. Also had a very plucky robin who seemed to be oblivious of me, or just tempting me into yet another image of a robin!

No worries Andy, glad you got them!

Cheers, Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back