• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (91 Viewers)

At Flamborough Head on Saturday, I saw what I thought was a small flock of redwings, but have an element of doubt. Did any seawatchers out there happen to spot any over the weekend?

Saw 2 in the brambles at the Head yesterday, Pete, and about a dozen in total during the day. Also YBW and the Isabelline Shrike and a couple of flyover Crossbills. Was with a non-birder friend of less than infinite patience and so missed the RBFly. Didn't find any small migrants other than Wheaters, Stonechats etc. myself, plus a couple of Sooties and Manxies, RT Diver, Scoters etc. in a long cliff-top walk. Five flocks of pink-feet totalling 700+ over during the day too. 20+ Purple Sands, one Eider, and plenty of Knot on the Brigg to finish.

Graham

Saw 2 in the brambles at the Head yesterday, Pete, and about a dozen in total during the day. Also YBW and the Isabelline Shrike and a couple of flyover Crossbills. Was with a non-birder friend of less than infinite patience and so missed the RBFly. Didn't find any small migrants other than Wheaters, Stonechats etc. myself, plus a couple of Sooties and Manxies, RT Diver, Scoters etc. in a long cliff-top walk. Five flocks of pink-feet totalling 700+ over during the day too. 20+ Purple Sands, one Eider, and plenty of Knot on the Brigg to finish.

Graham

Cheers bittern, that's cleared that up for me, I wondered if it was a bit early for them. My time at Flamborough on Sat was pretty fleeting, and didn't make it there til about 11.30... I need another trip up when I have more time!

Just popped up 2 Buckton and got amazing views of the Isabelline Shrike in the sunshine. Very concolourous, but a distinct mask and little buff intergrading on the flanks. Happy!

Spent the morning at Buckton got good views of the Isabelline Shrike and some "naf" photos, however photos are memories!! Also good views and better photos of the redstarts. Popped over to Bempton and "bagged" the Bramblings, did not hane the time to view the Siberian Stonechat, anybody seen it?? also missed the Redbreasted fly at Speeton. Might try another outing on Wednesday.
Dave

Scilly Isles

Hi All, asking for a "bit of advice" I am on holiday from the 15th 0f October and planning a trip over to the Scilly Isles. Have you done this?? If so is it possible to travel to the Scillys and back in 1 day, whats the easiest way to travel....etc or do I need to find some where to stay on the mainland (accomadation on Scilly is very pricey) andtravel on consecetive days..Any advice welcome.
Dave

Hi All, asking for a "bit of advice" I am on holiday from the 15th 0f October and planning a trip over to the Scilly Isles. Have you done this?? If so is it possible to travel to the Scillys and back in 1 day, whats the easiest way to travel....etc or do I need to find some where to stay on the mainland (accomadation on Scilly is very pricey) andtravel on consecetive days..Any advice welcome.
Dave

Dave, go to www.ios-travel.co.uk. It gives you all the options and also timings. I know you can catch the Scillonian from Penzance at about 10:00 and it returns at 16:00ish, but doesn't give you long if the bird you might be after is not on St. Mary's.

An East-coast visit:

5 new birds: Isabelline/Turkestan shrike, 2 Yellow browed warblers, Great grey shrike, 6 Little stints, Curlew sandpiper.

Some pictures from the weekend:

More on my Blog.

Attachments

• DSC04510a.jpg
    DSC04510a.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC04466a.jpg
    DSC04466a.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC04354a.jpg
    DSC04354a.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC03901a.jpg
    DSC03901a.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC03866a.jpg
    DSC03866a.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 110
Dave

A good cheap location to stay is the Garrison Camp Site, stayed here on my visits, great until it hits a force 10 gale! (although you are pretty well sheltered). Bear in mind the weather because it is not unheard of for there to be no planes/boats/choppers coming/going to the islands and you can end up stuck there, like i did once!!! B :) Good times!

Cheers

Andy

I'm not sure if this is already public news - I only scan the rarity news websites occasionally these days and didn't see this - but a flock of 5 Buff-breasted Sandpipers were in a field west of Lisset on Sunday afternoon.

The details are third-hand ... our kid phoned me last night after having spoken to someone who had spoken to a birdwatcher who was looking at them through his scope. Whether it's gen or not is another question; I've no idea.

Most intriguing - I'm a wee bit envious as it's one of the areas I have a look over when I'm over!

Cheers,
Bob.

Rather disappointing at Blacktoft today. Water Rail showed well at Singleton, loads of Bearded Tits irrupting, but very very few waders. Just one Spotshank on Ousefleet and a couple of Redshank over, plus plenty of Snipe and Golden Plover, but no sign of the 26 Little Stints and 9 Curlew Sands from yesterday. No godwits or Green Sands or Dunlin or Ruff or anything. Them's the breaks, I guess - could all have nipped over to Alkborough, I guess?

I guess that Buff Breast report is just about possible - several in Lincs this and last autumn and one left the golf course at Flamborough early Sunday?

Graham

Had a little look in on the Izzy Shrike this pm, very interesting bird and it seemed pretty happy catching all sorts of flying insects!!

Popped in to Flamborough briefly and had a YBwab at the begining of Old Fall hedge (along the road) tho it was flushed one way by a car and then back the other way by a sit on mower!!

A few Redwing kicking about but little else to shout about!

Had Golden Plover and Redwings at dusk over the house this pm

Cheers

Andy

Spent the morning at Buckton got good views of the Isabelline Shrike and some "naf" photos, however photos are memories!! Also good views and better photos of the redstarts. Popped over to Bempton and "bagged" the Bramblings, did not hane the time to view the Siberian Stonechat, anybody seen it?? also missed the Redbreasted fly at Speeton. Might try another outing on Wednesday.
Dave

Dave

Where did you go at Bempton for the Bramblings.
I might be going up that way on Friday.

Had an hour or two with the camera at Anglers CP today. 2 Slavonian Grebes and a juvenile Arctic Tern were the highlights.

Attachments

• _DSC8765.jpg
    _DSC8765.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 68
  • _DSC8945.jpg
    _DSC8945.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 75

Users who are viewing this thread

Back