• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (108 Viewers)

There was a swift seen at Swillington today, sadly not by me, and there were house martin and swallows feeding over the water. Why they were still around in the icy wind I don't know.
I did see the small group of pintail at Swilly though, and there's still at least one marsh harrier around there.

Norfolk this weekend - any more takers?

If in any doubt look at the weather chart for Friday night. It could be bonkers!

Please note destination may change if there is a bird flood elsewhere on Friday!

Marcus, as promising as the weather looks, just also be mindful of Leaper's Moon. It's low, it's full and it may mean stuff's in and out.

I went to Spurn. Got good views of the Greenish Warbler and a couple of flight views of the Great Grey Shrike. Dipped a Little Bunting and a couple of YB Warblers but still a happy bunny. Lots of Redwing and a Hobby were nice plus millions of Goldcrests! Also had a large well collared Stonechat by the Heligoland trap at the point but i couldnt see its rump. Drat! This afternoon was less productivebut got amazing views of the Greenish after lunch but i wandered off before it was trapped and ringed- apparently it was a pretty little thing in the hand. Missed a Yellow-brow last thing by half a second as i looked the wrong way.

I went to Spurn. Got good views of the Greenish Warbler and a couple of flight views of the Great Grey Shrike. Dipped a Little Bunting and a couple of YB Warblers but still a happy bunny. Lots of Redwing and a Hobby were nice plus millions of Goldcrests! Also had a large well collared Stonechat by the Heligoland trap at the point but i couldnt see its rump. Drat! This afternoon was less productivebut got amazing views of the Greenish after lunch but i wandered off before it was trapped and ringed- apparently it was a pretty little thing in the hand. Missed a Yellow-brow last thing by half a second as i looked the wrong way.

Good work James, would like a Greenish myslef this weekend please!
Then I want be so greenish with envy <groan>

MIPIT ringing in Washburn Valley

Hi everybody, just noticed a small article in the current Birdwatching magazine. Andy Jowett is running a Meadow Pipit colour ringing scheme for the next 5 years based in the Washburn Valley. There are 2 rings on the left leg, the lower indicates the ringing site and the upper the year ringed.
Any sightings should be e-mailed to Andy at jowett.a[at]sky.com (replace [at] with @)

Went to Spurn early today and had a superb session:
* Greenish Warbler
* Yellow Brows
* Little Stints
* Great Grey Shrike
* Short Eared Owl
* Wood Cock
* Redstart
* Med Gull
* Pied Fly Catcher
* Chifchaff
* Ring Ouzel
* Whinchat
* Brambling
* Wheatear
* Stonechat.........................etc,etc

All in all a good day and tomorrow promises the same with the wind coming from the north east and sunshine forecasted!

Dave

Why did I choose this time of year to go on holiday?!? Managed to dash to see the Isabelline Shrike before I drove down to Essex last night. Would have been gutted if I had missed it. While I was watching the shrike a Peregrine caught a pigeon! Did have to leave RB flycatcher and GG Shrike for another day otherwise my otherhalf would be heading on holiday on her own.
Hope to get some migrants in Essex over the next couple of days, but would rather be at Spurn.

Why did I choose this time of year to go on holiday?!? Managed to dash to see the Isabelline Shrike before I drove down to Essex last night. Would have been gutted if I had missed it. While I was watching the shrike a Peregrine caught a pigeon! Did have to leave RB flycatcher and GG Shrike for another day otherwise my otherhalf would be heading on holiday on her own.
Hope to get some migrants in Essex over the next couple of days, but would rather be at Spurn.

Mike, I was there when the Peregrine caught the pigeon. I was busy concentrating on the birds to see who else was viewing.

Swift @ Fairburn

I managed to dip the Grey Phalarope at Fairburn yesterday due to my laptop/internet playing up which was a bit of a pain in the ass! Did have a Swift in with the migrating Martins though which was slightly interesting!

Mike, I was there when the Peregrine caught the pigeon. I was busy concentrating on the birds to see who else was viewing.

I must admit I was too flustered to note any familiar faces. I was still in my work gear and almost ran up the lane to see the bird. When I got home my girlfriend took great pleasure informing me I had brown sauce on my chin from my lunch. The smile soon went from her face when she saw how muddy I had made her car mats!

Just back from taking the dog for a walk round my house, had a Barn Owl (1st in the 6 months i've been here) and several geese flocks going over calling in the dark!

Cheers

Andy

At Flamborough Head on Saturday, I saw what I thought was a small flock of redwings, but have an element of doubt. Did any seawatchers out there happen to spot any over the weekend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back