• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (6 Viewers)

It was a flyover just after midday, per Birdguides, headed north over the east side of Otley.

On that bearing, there's some marginal habitat at the west end of John O'Gaunt reservoir, and perhaps some along the Ure up north of Ripon, but I think it has a long way to go headed north from Otley to find a decent reedbed.

Thx for the info. Running out of weekends before I go away, was hoping for an evening run if something sticks.

The redstarts have been back since at least the second week of April in decent numbers; I had five singing males in a small area on April 9thin the Washburn. I have only seen them actually in the woods at Bolton Abbey very early in the morning, when I suspect they visit the riverside. A pair I watched near the stone hut at 7AM had disappeared for all later visitors, and I've noted this on a few visits. The best place to see them at Bolton Abbey is at the woodland edge on the east side of the river and along Storiths Lane.

Hi Graham, did you park at Barden Bridge early on? Hoping to get there sometime next week and planning on an early start for these birds.

It was a flyover just after midday, per Birdguides, headed north over the east side of Otley.

On that bearing, there's some marginal habitat at the west end of John O'Gaunt reservoir, and perhaps some along the Ure up north of Ripon, but I think it has a long way to go headed north from Otley to find a decent reedbed.
Nice reedbed for it at Nosterfield Quarry at Flask Lake.

Hi Graham, did you park at Barden Bridge early on? Hoping to get there sometime next week and planning on an early start for these birds.

I was planning to go by train and bike via Ilkley, but I was lent a car for a couple of days, so I parked in what has become my usual spot along Storiths Lane just north of Laund House. (marked on OS) From there I walk back along the lane down the steep hill to where it meets the riverside path, near the small wooden fotbridge. But it's just habit really; there's no great advantage or disadvantage over parking up at Barden Bridge at the north end, and actually I moved to the car to there later to explore further up the river towards Appletreewick.

Well I was looking at the other gull that was there which i can't work out. Will post pics ASAP. It may prove to be caspian or not. There were no other large gulls there. Just as I was leaving a large 1st summer gull circled overhead so I took some shots and it appears to be the caspian that is spot on. Will post those for confirmation but it shows big windows in the primaries, generally White underwing, White head, parallel sided bill and large dark terminal tail bar with unmarked uncertain coverts. Not got access to computer until later but will sort it.

Had a solo trip down to Hatfield Moor today, arrived late morning and spent the afternoon there.

I had downloaded a bit of a map of the area so I had more knowledge of where I was going today, I decided to walk out by the path between Packard's South and Packard's Heath and return to the car park via Badger Corner Lake and the path between Poor Piece and Packard's Heath.

I was hoping to spot some adders but apart from a couple of rustles that may have been snakes moving through the undergrowth I drew a blank.

However the birds were better, I got my first house martin of the year over the lake by the car park along with sand martin and swallow.

Willow warbler were everywhere, I gave up counting at around 20 singing birds, also scored with blackcap, reed and sedge warbler by Boston Park Lakes. Further towards Packard's South heard a garden warbler.

Found a tree pipit on Packard's Heath close to the footpath across the Heath, a singing lesser whitethroat here was quite a surprise.
Got a good view of a singing garden warbler by Badger Corner Lake, as well as views of singing wrens.

Called into a hide and got pics of little grebe in front of the hide, along with great tit on the feeders. As I was approaching the car park got onto a very close, singing whitethroat but too much sun so the photos were bleached out.

Back at the car park I was just shoving the gear onto the rear seats when something flew over my head into the scrubby field by the hide. I'd had a glimpse of white outer tail feathers so thought it would be pied wagtail again, seen one there when I arrived. You can imagine my surprise when I got the bins onto the birds, not one but 3 yellow wagtails. From plumage I would guess at 2 females and a male. Sadly they didn't hang around for long and were a fair old distance away so the best I got was a poor record shot.

Called in at Huggin Carr, managed to find 4 bng on the water, along with great crested and a single little grebe. The footpath had chiffchaff, yellowhammer and whitethroat. No sign of the corn buntings that I'd seen last time.

Attachments

• canada-geese.jpg
    canada-geese.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 29
  • great-tit.jpg
    great-tit.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 29
  • little-grebe.jpg
    little-grebe.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 31
  • yellow-wag.jpg
    yellow-wag.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 53
Fairburn

Nice bike ride to Fairburn via the newish nature area that previously held Wheldale and Fryston Collieries, The area was alive with Com Whitethroat and Wil warbler. Kingfisher on the river. At the reserve, Marsh Harrier had been seen over the Stacks on 6 consecutive days, so I went that way and spotted it circling quite high, which was surprising. Saw one Cuckoo and heard a second one calling adjacent to river, not surprising with the number of Reed Bunting in the small pools between the stacks and river. Also heard and saw Sedge Warbler. Just the usual duck on Hicksons ponds but the number of Whitethroat and Wibbler all the way along was really surprising.
Cheers Joe

Been at Spurn today and mingled with some of the Spurn lads at the Warren, missed the Red Rumped Swallow by seconds just after 7 am , had a fly over Merlin, Common Buzzard and Red Kite, loads of Swallows passing through, got the Subalpine Warbler too (lifer for me)
009edited.jpg

Had a solo trip down to Hatfield Moor today, arrived late morning and spent the afternoon there.

Shame you didn't say you were going. I was in a different part. I could have had the day off & you could have told the am group how to get to Huggin Carr! More pics of some of the species you saw on the blog!

Attachments

• 04-05-2011Treepipit000HM.jpg
    04-05-2011Treepipit000HM.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 61
The 1st summer Caspian Gull showed well at times again this evening at North Cave Wetlands though still mobile around the site still being harassed by the Black-headed Gulls. Bird watched on and off from 5.30pm til c7pm when bird appeared to head off south towards the Humber presumably to roost. Distant and brief views of possibly the second bird as well this evening.
From reports in the log books appears at least one bird has been present for most of the day,

Best vantage point is probably the Turrent Hide which gives a good all round view of Island Lake (where bird landed several times on muddy islands by Tern Posts-but looking into the sun in the evening!) bird can also be seen flying over Village lake from here or more distantly flying over Reedbed or Main Lakes.
Bird also lands on Main Lake east shore best from South Hide and on Reedbed Lake best from northern path by seats.

After the very dry spring I would have expected Swine Moor to have dried out, Martin. Is there much water on?

You are right Graham most of it has dried up but there is a small dyke that holds some water and most of the birds are congregating around that.
Its quite a long walk from Hull Bridge heading south along the river bank.

Had an evening run over to swillington yesterday. Didn't get all my target species but found wood sandpiper, common sandpiper, turnstone, redshank, oystercatcher, ringed and little ringed plover, ruff and dunlin.

1st swift of the year for me too.

Anybody know if the S Curlew is still at Old Moor and the Crane still at Fairburnings??? What time is Old Moor open till tonight - have they extended opening times at all due to the S Curlew??

Given the leaden skys and the rain......will see what its like after tea

Cheers

John

Anybody know if the S Curlew is still at Old Moor and the Crane still at Fairburnings??? What time is Old Moor open till tonight - have they extended opening times at all due to the S Curlew??

Cheers

John

curlew still at old moor,they close at 9.00pm
cheers

Cheers

John

John, Crane still at Fairburn and stone curlew still present at old moor, reserve open till 9pm (per Birdguides)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back