• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (12 Viewers)

One of our members had 2 Nightjar last year where the moors butt up to the western edge of the Ings near where one of the pools was worked on by local vols.We are of course hoping for the owls,when I led a similar walk 2 years ago there was only 1 owl showing that was a Little on the wires near the c.p..Will let you know if we get anything of interest.

Just the usual stuff at Timble Ings tonight but could not find Tree Pipit,good late light for watching Woodcock.Nightjars showing at Stainburn forest just over the valley seen from forestry car park about 10.16 onwards.
Any news of Nightjars in the clear felled area alongside the A170 at the top of Sutton Bank,we had Turtle Dove in the area last week but were too early for Nightjars.

Last edited:
Hi folks - just got back from Eccup reservoir, there is a pair of common scoters on there. Posted them on birdguides but don't know if anyone else has reported them.

Whinchats

Went up to top of Wharfedale last week,which is normally a good spot for Whinchats, but nothing!Loads of Dippers in the river at Yockenthwaite bridge made up for the disappointment though.

Minimum 3 ringed plovers through Eccup Reservoir at 07.00 this morning. The vegetation down there is horrendous, trying to scan the water from anywhere other than the dam wall is 'kin hard work. Needs a party of vols with chain saws and weed whackers to bring it down.

Minimum 3 ringed plovers through Eccup Reservoir at 07.00 this morning. The vegetation down there is horrendous, trying to scan the water from anywhere other than the dam wall is 'kin hard work. Needs a party of vols with chain saws and weed whackers to bring it down.

I know Keith. I was very grateful that the scoter thoughtfully placed themselves in view last week - did you manage to see them?

At least 2 "churring" Nightjars heard in Stainburn forest between Harrogate and the Washburn Valley last night as well as several Woodcock and manages to get my first Tree Pipit of the year.Midges were on a feeding frenzy as well !!

On a change of site,Timble Ings,has anyone heard of Nightjars in the woods this year? Hoping to go Monday mainly for Woodcock and the fact that I love the place,just wondered if 'jars had been around.I understand they had changed areas as the wood has regrown last year but the mrs would not take me there when visiting me in hospital,cannot think why!!

I heard, but did not see, nightjars in three places at Wykeham in late May this year while doing a Big Day.

According to a vol.at the info centre on Sutton Bank the clear felled area along the A170 just past the centre is getting Nightjar sightings regularly,we have always been too early when coming back from the coast but we have seen at least 2 Turtle Doves near the centre.

Just come back from Doncaster (wedding).

In a taxi without my bins this morning & passed a pond by the river Don just west of Barnby Dun on Fordstead Lane and saw a what I'm fairly sure was a

Great northern diver

in summer plumage.
Couldn't stop & only a glimpse but if anyone's in the area....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back