• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (19 Viewers)

Hello! New to the forum and trying to find out whether larks sing all year round... I'm a writer based in the Dales and need to know if my depiction of an October trilling lark above the fells is feasible! So I thought I'd ask the Yorkshire birding experts :)

On a sunny day, yes. They were singing in the sun at Spurn this October, but on a dull day the same week, nothing

Hi. I'm frequently spending more time at my parents place in Stainforth, North Yorkshire. I'd be really grateful if forum users can recommend some good spots in the immediate area or the rest of the Dales for winter birding? Is Malham tarm worth a recce?

Also I understand that there remains a healthy population of black grouse? I'm planning to try and stake out the leks in mid-March. Does anyone have any info on best locations? (Please feel free to PM me if details are sensitive).

Happy Christmas

In Yorkshire - Arkengarthdale for the grouse. They lek in a field by Shaws Farm - however there is no public access to the area, you are taking photos from the road across the valley.
There used to be a lek just across the border into Teesdale not been for nearly 20 years though - will dig out details for that one. Langdon Beck was the area .

Last edited:
Hi. I'm frequently spending more time at my parents place in Stainforth, North Yorkshire. I'd be really grateful if forum users can recommend some good spots in the immediate area or the rest of the Dales for winter birding? Is Malham tarm worth a recce?

Also I understand that there remains a healthy population of black grouse? I'm planning to try and stake out the leks in mid-March. Does anyone have any info on best locations? (Please feel free to PM me if details are sensitive).

Happy Christmas

There is still a lek near Langdon Beck,at least I hope so as our club has just booked a trip to see the lek through Natural England in April '16. The Shaw Farm birds are probably the mast reliable ones I know,we often sit watching them while having lunch in the car parked on a flat bit of ground overlooking the land near the farm. There is a public footpath through the fields but it looks fairly unused and it is doubtful the birds would stay around if you used.

Zing's LDV

Quick update on water levels at North Duffield Carrs.

Geoff Smith hide ok Gargeney hide has a little rising damp!!!

Any body identify what stroke the Mole is doing?

more here......

http://zingsldv.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• hide.jpg
    hide.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 79
  • mole.jpg
    mole.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 84
And from me. Hope to see some of you out tomorrow (my traditional new year birding day)

Linda
Not sure how you got on Linda,we only managed a couple of hours in late afternoon at Nosterfield,plenty of run of the mill stuff and nice to get Merlin and Peregrine on the 1st of the year.

Not sure how you got on Linda,we only managed a couple of hours in late afternoon at Nosterfield,plenty of run of the mill stuff and nice to get Merlin and Peregrine on the 1st of the year.

You had good ticks for the day Pete. We went to St Aidan's first thing. Visibility very poor for most of the day and we were birding in drizzle for a while. We managed to tick off all the common wildfowl, golden plover, stonechat, skylark, fieldfare and redwing. Gave up and had coffee when the rain got heavier then went to the Swilly hide for the last hour. Got female scaup here which was a great end to the day. Water levels astoundingly high but I hear it was much worse the day before.

I'll join Pete in wishing all the Yorkies a Happy New Year. I did a couple of hours on patch (Adel Dam and Eccup Reservoir) on the first - managed 36 species in total with no raptors at all. Quite my lowest kick off list for a number of years...so things can only get better!

I'll join Pete in wishing all the Yorkies a Happy New Year. I did a couple of hours on patch (Adel Dam and Eccup Reservoir) on the first - managed 36 species in total with no raptors at all. Quite my lowest kick off list for a number of years...so things can only get better!

Like Keith, my year list at 166 was my worst for yonks,mainly restricted through health but good thing most of them were Yorkshire birds. Must try harder this year and aim for 200 minimum.

Not been round Ponte Park since I did it for the Atlas. Way too busy at work now to get out during dinner break so will have to pencil in a visit on my day off. Did manage to find reeling gropper there on one of my atlas visits.

Yorkshire Firecrest

Happy New year to all Yorkshire birders for 2016. Here are my record shots of the Firecrest at Silkstone, Barnsley which showed really well on Sunday morning, they are just for my records really but just in case anyone was interested. It's important to share on the forum.

Regards

Mark.

Attachments

• Firecrest3_Silkstone_100116.jpg
    Firecrest3_Silkstone_100116.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 121
Firecrest

Tried to put all the photographs on one post but failed, so here are the others.

Regards

Mark.

Attachments

• Firecrest2_Silkstone_100116.jpg
    Firecrest2_Silkstone_100116.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Firecrest_Silkstone_100116.jpg
    Firecrest_Silkstone_100116.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 114

Users who are viewing this thread

Back