• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

I don't know what your bird could have been. Probably most likely Green Woodpecker I would have thought. You say "gold", do you mean yellow? How much gold/yellow was there and where was it? Where was the black? (eg. wings, head etc.) How was it running? Was it bouncing like a thrush or running like a wader? My only other suggestion would be an escaped cage bird like a yellow-headed blackbird.... if you're really stuck, try and find a picture of a similar bird on the internet...

Just come back from Manchester, which was to celebrate my Jewish cousin's Bar Mitzvah, though I took advantage of it for birding purposes!
I got 6 year ticks thanks to the trip, finally putting me safely ahead of Josh, at 172.
On the way up (Saturday), along the M40, I got my first year tick in the form of several Red Kites.
On Sunday, at Pennington Flash I missed the Grasshopper Warblers (as usual; this species is now joining my list of unluckiest birds which includes Honey Buzzard and Rough-legged Buzzard) but got my 2nd year tick which was a Common Sandpiper.
Monday was the day we returned home to London, but we made the slight detour of South Stack, Angelsey for seabirds lol ! Here I got 1 lifer (Puffin) and 3 other year ticks; Razorbill, Fulmar and Chough. Also seen were Rock Pipits, a Kittiwake, Wheatears, Ravens and immense numbers of Guillemots! This was the first time I've seen a proper seabird cliff colony with auks etc on the ledges in sum plum, what an experience! I scanned the calm sea for Manx Shearwaters and Shags but with no luck, and looked amongst the Linnets for Twite, but no result. Oh well, I'm happy with the seabirds that I did get B :) o:).

I've only had Puffins in the Farnes 2 years ago. It's great there-- Roseate tern was my favourite bird there; even though it looked exactly the same as all the other bl**dy terns on the beach!!!!!

I've only had Puffins in the Farnes 2 years ago. It's great there-- Roseate tern was my favourite bird there; even though it looked exactly the same as all the other bl**dy terns on the beach!!!!!
LOL!!! I've been to the Farnes but my favourite bird was an Arctic Tern (I saw a Roseate too!)B :)

yeah, unfortunately I do still have a few embarressing gaps in my British list, this year I aim to fill all of them though. There's only 3 or so really bad ones left.

Just come back from Manchester, which was to celebrate my Jewish cousin's Bar Mitzvah, though I took advantage of it for birding purposes!
I got 6 year ticks thanks to the trip, finally putting me safely ahead of Josh, at 172.
On the way up (Saturday), along the M40, I got my first year tick in the form of several Red Kites.
On Sunday, at Pennington Flash I missed the Grasshopper Warblers (as usual; this species is now joining my list of unluckiest birds which includes Honey Buzzard and Rough-legged Buzzard) but got my 2nd year tick which was a Common Sandpiper.
Monday was the day we returned home to London, but we made the slight detour of South Stack, Angelsey for seabirds lol ! Here I got 1 lifer (Puffin) and 3 other year ticks; Razorbill, Fulmar and Chough. Also seen were Rock Pipits, a Kittiwake, Wheatears, Ravens and immense numbers of Guillemots! This was the first time I've seen a proper seabird cliff colony with auks etc on the ledges in sum plum, what an experience! I scanned the calm sea for Manx Shearwaters and Shags but with no luck, and looked amongst the Linnets for Twite, but no result. Oh well, I'm happy with the seabirds that I did get B :) o:).

You were at Pennington on Sunday? i was there on Sat. Did ya see the BNGrebes? 2 of the 4 were still there on sunday, but left on monday.

cheers,

I don't know what your bird could have been. Probably most likely Green Woodpecker I would have thought. You say "gold", do you mean yellow? How much gold/yellow was there and where was it? Where was the black? (eg. wings, head etc.) How was it running? Was it bouncing like a thrush or running like a wader? My only other suggestion would be an escaped cage bird like a yellow-headed blackbird.... if you're really stuck, try and find a picture of a similar bird on the internet...

well it had a bit of black near its eye and most of its wing was black all the rest was gold/yellow. it was hopping a tiny bit and running. If i can't find anything, i wont put anything.

Ok then- these are all the common or fairly common birds that I haven't seen:
Bewick's Swan
Whooper ''
WFG
Brent Goose
LTD
Red Grouse
Grey Partridge
Sooty Shearwater
Leach's Petrel
Bittern-- (An extremely annoying one that probably doesnt count as fairly common but still)
Water Rail
Grey Plover
Ruff
Sanderling
Whimbrel
LT & Great & Pom. skua (they arent that common either)
Black Guillimot
Turtle Dove
Cuckoo
Barn, LE & little owls
Nightjar
LSW
Woodlark
Yellow Wag.
Dipper
Redstart
Whinchat
Nightingale
R. Ouzel
Gropper W.
dart. W.
Garden W.
Pied Fly.
W. Tit
Tree Sparr.
Cross B.
Snow B.
Cirl & Corn B's

Quite Long- isn't it!!!

Got the Glauc-wing/hybrid Gull at Beddington today. Not sure on the ID myself. Hope someone collects a sample of feather/poo and it turns out to be the better of the two.

It doesn't really matter what length your list is as long as you enjoy birding. Sure we're all at least a little bit competitive, but at the end of the day, does having a bigger list mean you're a better birder? I have a list of over 300, but I am useless at seperating Lesser and Mealy Redpolls, and don't even get me started on gulls!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back