• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (12 Viewers)

OwlTalon said:
By fellow teenagers, I am viewed (for the most part, with a few exceptions) as a total nerd. Howver, many adults think it is an interesting hobby, and that its great am am actually doing something in my spare time.
Personally, I'd like to hear about the sightings you guys make!

Thanks for that.

Same here. I guess when most of the kids my age hear about bird watching, if they even know what it is, they think its something senior citizens do in their spare time. Quite frankly kids our age just don't even care about nature. For them, the world revolves around tv, video games, and more video games. However, several of my teachers know about my hobby and support it. One of them even gives me free back issues of bird watchers digest!

Last edited:
The Firecrest said:
PS. Sam, your inbox is full again.
Thanks for that, hadn't realised. Empty again now.

And I would be more than happy to relay my sightings across to you guys in America, but to be honest, I've barely seen anything of interest lately! Haven't had much time at all...

Oh, the goldfinches have returned to the feeders in the back garden

Our goldfinches are much nicer than yours ;)
Here's a link to a pic in the gallery: http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/119009/sort/1/cat/all/page/1

Sam

Nah, our Goldfinches are dull compared with those across that tiny little drop of water that you guys call the pond.
Oh, Sam, will PM you in a min.

Audubob said:
Quite frankly kids our age just don't even care about nature. For them, the world revolves around tv, video games, and more video games.
Agree wholeheartedly. Not that there's anything wrong with TV and Video Games, but the natural world is sooo much cooler! My friends don't know a cardinal from a pigeon! They don't know anything about what's right outside there houses! A friend (one of my more tolerant acquaintances) was highly sceptical when I told him I had just seen a small falcon (it was merlin, but I didn't want to give him a brain hemmorhage [probably spelled that wong] with names) in his backyard.

Ha! I found a public domain image of a condor on wikipedia! It may not be accurate, but it tells you if the photos have copyrights.

Last edited:
Audubob said:
Quite frankly kids our age just don't even care about nature. For them, the world revolves around tv, video games, and more video games.
In your countries watching birds is more pupular than in Poland. Here is a little birds' fanciers
OwlTalon said:
My friends don't know a cardinal from a pigeon!
I know something about this |=(|

Hey, owly, aren't you gonna use my avatar I made for you? Spent ages on it! You should be able to upload it now, I've cropped it.

First time posting on this thread... at 19 I feel like an old-timer amongst all ye young-uns! I used to get that from my mates when I was younger. I think if you stick to your guns and pay no heed to the nerd remarks most people don't really care eventually.

The Barn Owl said:
Stop trying to offload our American friends! If it wasn't for them, this thread would probably disappear before too long!

btw, out of interest, how is birding viewed across the Atlantic? Is it classed as the same anorak-type hobby as train-spotting as it is over here?

Same way! Usually they think you are pervert or gay :-O In fact, some boys knew i was a birder, they were like, "Isnt that "gay"? :-C :storm:

one of them later explained " we were just messing with ya"
it took me three days to get over that horrid attack :C

"Owly?" hmmmm......I like it. I didnt have time to chat, and i wont for a while, prolly later tomorrow.

Sorry about not using your avatar. Ill make it up to you somehow.

By the way, The "gay" thing, UGG! I hear that every other day!

Gotta fly!

Last edited:
All my friends are very tolerant, I can say even more. Sometimes they admire me (but not always :p ), and it is not only now, but in all my life.

nctexasbirder said:
Same way! Usually they think you are pervert or gay :-O In fact, some boys knew i was a birder, they were like, "Isnt that "gay"? :-C :storm:

one of them later explained " we were just messing with ya"
it took me three days to get over that horrid attack :C

Hey nctexasbirder i wouldn't take that crap from anyone! Birding is not gay and it is certaintly not perverted. take pride in your hobby.

I mean come on....A teenager who actually does something besides sulk!?
Seriously, I think we birders are much better off then them. We are used to greeting elders with more than a grunt, and we actually exert ourselves outdoors. Most of my true friends however mare genuinely interested, and they know some birds:
Sparrow
"Seagull" *shudder*
Blue Jay
Cardinal
Hawk
Pigeon
Crow
and of course some specifics:
"American" Eagle
"Snow" or "Harry Potter" Owl
"Pairadrin" Falcon
"The Bird from (insert show/movie)"
*sigh* |=(|

Bird Brain drives me mad, have to put up with a lot of it.
When relatives find out, they always try and tell me about the 'egret' they saw, I mean, Little Egrets have become very common over here, and they tell me about the day they had a Coal Tit in the garden. They Probabaly get Coal Tits every day, just don't notice them. I s'pose I should be glad they take an interest, but......GRRRRR!!

No one I know really cares if I'm a birder. They all know but they just don't say anything because they have better things to do. Some even invite me over to bird around their place. But yes, there will always be at least one person that thinks you’re totally insane but hey, just think what they are missing...right?

Ethan

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back