• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

The Firecrest said:
When people call me "bird brain" it drives me mad. Have to cope with a lot of it.
I hate it too. As it was in my old class. And I don't like when my parents said their every friend, that I have kink birds |:|| (what of it I have |;|)

"birdbrain" is a popular one from the others. Oh well.....This thread is getting depressing, we're talking about bad stuff! It's the holidays!! Liven up people!

Yeah, no one cares that I bird too much. Some kids even think it's cool. In fact, I'm going birding with two different girls on two different days this week :)

how about everyone shares how they got started birding? For me, one day my mom found this National Geographic Field Guide to Birds and she showed it to me. it interested me, so i kept it. then a little while later i got my first $20 compact roof prism bins. so eventually i put two and two together. i also found a 60s edition Peterson's and then an 80s one. thats how i started birding...

I don't know, my parents (who catalogued everything cuz I was firstborn) said my first word was bird. My parents always showed me bird books, but the one that did it was a book about, you gussed it: the Snowy Owl. Then I asked for a plush one, and that was it.

Hmmm...I actually have no idea what made me become a birder. I think one day I woke up and thought..."I want to be a birder" and then I started. First field guide I owned was Kenn Kaufman's "Birds of North America" and my first pair of binoculars were Swifts.

Good Birding,
Ethan

I always like animals, but principally mammals. When I registered on the pet forum, I knew person, who was interested birds. He gave me adress forum about wildlife. When I thought, that birds can be beautiful. I started read antlases birds and informations in net. Then I started walk on wood with binoculars. In September I bought book by Lars Jonsson "Birds of Europe". I ascertain that birds are really great! |;|

Had a dream about a Snowy Owl last night. Was a female/juvenile i think, and it was sort of the size of your avatar. Too much staring at your avatar trying to tell myself that the hat isn't as bad as it is! ;)
Edit. "Your avatar" means Owly's.

The hats great! Jyothi, seriously, calm down. I actually like the odd angle. Don't expect to see me around again till thursday afternoon, Trimester exams!

All my friends view my hobby as... well, pure craziness. Other than calling me "bird freak" they don't give me too much crap about it.

BTW does anyone know what my avatar is?

Neil

Hey young birders,

Anyone doing any birding this vacation? Going anywhere for Christmas? I get to go down to Florida for the first time since I started birding, so hopefully I'll get some lifers.

Noop, just the local patch, and some Snowy seekin' at the beach. Wish me luck! Jyothi, maybe your avtar will bring me good luck!!

Last edited:
AmpelisChinito said:
Anyone doing any birding this vacation? Going anywhere for Christmas? I get to go down to Florida for the first time since I started birding, so hopefully I'll get some lifers.
This is super! I bid you joy in birding. I'm not going anywhere at Christmas. I'm staying in home, watching Animal Planet, reading about birds of America and learning English (and maybe I will start learn German) |;| . Probable I will start birding only a spring |=(|

I changed avatar. How do you like?

AmpelisChinito said:
Hey young birders,

Yeah, I'm going to visit N-E Poland, but not mainly for birds.

I set out to track down wolves and lynxes. (of course, I'll be looking for Snowy Owl, which was observed there recently).

Last edited:
Wolf and lynx, two of the big non-birds I want to see. Already seen Bison, Moose, Grizzly, Elk, and Coyote. This summer I go on another (yay me) cross-country camping spree to the Pacific Northwest/Canada, and we plan to stop at Yellowstone again too.

Depends on my mood, really, but the owl is here to stay ('cept when I take off his hat after Christmas. Don't worry, I'll save the pic for next year)

Your avatar is your identity on this site! It has to be a good pic!

I have off from school today! Yes!! Unfortunately, I can't go birding.....

Wiktoria said:
I changed avatar. How do you like?
Very Christmassy!

Anybody getting bird stuff for Christmas? I wouldn't mind a new guide or video camera for catloguing trips to the beach. This New Year's Day, there is a group (don't know who, I just saw them last year) hosting a walk at Jones Beach, could be productive.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back