• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (13 Viewers)

Congratulations to everyone that has seen Waxwings today! And James, the Waxwing numbers on invasion years is a definite advantage to living or going to university here!

I have had another very good Waxwing day, far better than yesterday in fact - partly because I was more intent on seeing them and had my bins with me. I went (with my Dad) to a few of the streets/areas in Aberdeen where there have been a lot of Waxwings seen, and was successful in finding large flocks. I went for a wonder up around the Primrosehill area of Aberdeen, only 25 minutes walk away (where c.150 were seen yesterday), to see if I could see any and get photographs of any. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any half way decent photos, as the flocks in this area were very mobile, but some very good totals nonetheless. There were c.110 Waxwings in total here, with the whole flock seen together at one point, which then split into two groups of 44 (I kept an eye on and counted this flock) and 66 respectively (which my Dad kept an eye on and counted) as both groups wheeled round for a while - quite a strategical way of coming up with a total I found. I managed to get very brief but very good views of 18 through the bins as they landed on a rowan tree right above my head and after just a few seconds flew off and not so close but more prolonged views of other birds that decided to land briefly. Presumably these 18 mingled in with the larger flock later on. I got a really poor shot of the 44 (they were really distant once I had my camera at the ready) I tracked when the large flock split into two groups, and on several occasions I missed out on seconds by photographing them. Frustrating in that sense, but its not the last chance I've got of photographing them anyway - what with up to 700 on the outskirts of the city today and a cumulative total in Aberdeenshire of well over 1000!!

On the way back I decided to stop off in another area where big numbers have been seen in the last couple of days, Kittybrewster, about 15 minutes walk away from the Primrosehill area. We were trying to find the school there, where 160 had been seen on Thursday, but wasn't sure where to go. However, we were lucky enough, whilst walking past the Retail Park here, to hear their trilling call, and looked up to see a flock of c.130 Waxwings flying quite low over our heads. This flock stayed in the air and in view for about a minute, splitting slightly from one another then joining up together again although they were quite distant, but constant binocular views whilst they were in flight allowed us to count them effectively. This flock wasn't seen again.

I am pretty damn chuffed with the overall Waxwing total for the day - 110 in the Primerosehill area + 130 over Kittybrewster Retail Park = 240 Waxwings. The climate may be harsh up this way and the weather may be bad, but, I must say, I love Aberdeen for its Waxwing numbers!! :t:

ATB,

Joseph

Last edited:
Sounds great mate :t: With a few flocks around east lancashire today I decided to head up in the hope to connect with a flock or 2. The largest flock had been seen in Barrow so it was here I went and was not dissapointed. Upon arrival I spotted a big group of photographers next to a row of rowan trees and this was where the birds were showing. Over 70 were around in total but they were splitting off into smaller flocks so there could have been more around. Had some crippling views down to 10ft as they fed in the closest tree, stunning! Before today I had only seen 17 (flocks of 14 and 3) so this was a quite memorable experience o:D

By looking at reports across Scotland I'd estimate at least 4000 in the country today alone!

Can I have some Waxwings please?

Me too please! Granted over the past week I've seen a flock of c80 Little and a couple of Great Bustard, around 100 Pin tailed Sandgrouse and small numbers of Black Bellied, 1000s of Cranes and a smashing although very distant Bonelli's in Extremadura. As well as a plethora of common Extremaduran birds and gazillions of vultures. Gripping blog posts and photos (which thank god I've managed to recover most of them from a corrupted memory card!) to come soon, once I've cleared my horrendous backlog of homework :-O

I'd still like a couple of Waxwings though :eat: Only seen them twice before!

Another insane day of Waxwing activity here in Aberdeen. The activity started when I was walking up to the corner shop to get some food, taking my bins just in case I was to chance upon a flock on the way up. About half way up my street, I hear their trilling call, and approximately 15 flew low over my head. They, however, disappeared out of view behind one of the houses quite quickly. Once I had got the food, I started to head back towards the house. As I approached my street again I started to hear their trills again, this time seeming louder and more frequent. I turned the corner, and one of the trees was filled with Waxwings. I quickly got my bins on them and started to count them, gaining good views in the process. They stayed confidingly still, and I managed to count a total of 75 birds - the 15 I had seen earlier presumably being part of this same flock. I stood watching them for a couple of minutes, severely regretting not having my camera at hand, and then they flew off. Once back at the house I had a look out of the window and spotted the birds again on the street opposite mine - View Terrace.

In the afternoon at around 3pm, my Dad and I decided to take the dog for a walk in an area (the Hilton area, near where I saw 110 at Primrosehill yesterday) that we knew was good for Waxwings. It was about 20 minutes from the house, and it immediately became apparent that Waxwings were present, with small flocks flying about regularly. We expected there to be a larger flock somewhere close by, and were trying to find where the smaller flocks were landing, so we headed northwards a bit, and eventually did find a large flock of well over 100, all huddled together on one clump/line of trees in the back of someone's garden (don't worry, I didn't disturb the residents of the house!). It was rather astonishing - there were hardly any parts of the trees that didn't have a Waxwing occupying them, it was truly packed with them. These birds also seemed quite confiding, and about 10 minutes after we had found them a flock of c.50 more joined them on the tree. At several points I was lucky enough for groups of 30 or more to leave the tree and land on the rowans on the side of the road where I was standing. I managed to get within 8-10ft of them.

The camera was on me the whole time this time, and I managed to get loads of shots of the birds, both in the tree and also when they came onto the rowans at the side of the road near me. The problem was that light levels were getting low and poor, so almost all pictures just showed the birds as silhouttes - however some post-upload editing has solved this problem a little with those photos worthy of uploading. The photos aren't fantastic quality by any means due to the really poor light conditions, but going earlier in the day in the future will allow for much better photos, and its not my last chance to photograph them by any means. We watched them for about 25 minutes or half an hour, in which time we were able to come up with a figure of 280 Waxwings. The photos below don't manage to fit in the whole clump of trees, and thus not all the birds on the trees at the time, as I was photographing different clumps of tree and different groups of Waxwings at different points. This was a very memorable experience and one that will stay with me for a long time, I have never seen such large numbers of Waxwings before in my life. As a result of the 280 here and the 75 on my street in the morning I have seen a total of 355 Waxwings today - which I am just chuffed about if I am honest! A day never to forget. o:)

ATB,

Joseph

Attachments

• IMG_0155 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0155 - Copy.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0157 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0157 - Copy.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0193 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0193 - Copy.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0209 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0209 - Copy.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 50
I missed out on a flock of 1000 waxwing in Inverness on Tuesday, as well as a flock of up to 2000 in Aberdeen on friday! Stonking flocks. I only managed a flock of 12 (26 birds in total) that were migrating over the moors near Abernethy Forest. I suppose the flock of 42 within my Halls of resisdence back in Bangor were nice too :p

What a fabulous invasion year!

Zac

Had a great birthday today and was topped off with the juvenile Great Northern Diver at Fleetwood Marine Lakes this evening o:D

Hi,
I haven't posted here in a longtime now, shame cos it's an excellent page. Infact if any of you guys have twitter, i just got it myself (Fenland_birder) would be great to build up some like minded followers, or follow any of you guys if you don't mind. I should probably re-introduce myself as its been a long time; Daniel, 17, Lincolnshire, bird ringer and avid bird watcher. Still on the hunt for my first ever Waxwing, this year is looking extremely promising however. Ringed a Treecreeper at the weekend, lovely in the hand...

Daniel

Hey daniel, awesome about the treecreeper and I'm pretty sure you'll get Waxwing at some point this year! Unfortunately I've missed the invasion so far this autumn although I did see a single in North London earlier in the year. Wicked birds.

If I could ask how did you get into ringing? I'd really like to do some myself but don't know any ringers and have no idea how to get into it.

Hey daniel, awesome about the treecreeper and I'm pretty sure you'll get Waxwing at some point this year! Unfortunately I've missed the invasion so far this autumn although I did see a single in North London earlier in the year. Wicked birds.

If I could ask how did you get into ringing? I'd really like to do some myself but don't know any ringers and have no idea how to get into it.

http://www.bto.org/ringing/ringinfo/become-a-ringer.htm

and use this link to find ringing trainers near you...
http://blx1.bto.org/ringingTrainers/ringing-trainers.jsp

and WOW on the Treecreeper Daniel, I haven't rung anything that cool yet

I was pretty lucky in my grandparents knowing a C permit ringer who got me in contact with an A permit ringer who agreed to train me. But Ash is right with the links. Trust me when i say ringing is the best thing I do with my time, its rewarding getting recoveries and just handling birds is amazing!

I hit 1000 birds on saturday (started in january) including, Barn Owl, Little Owl, Kestrel, Whinchat and many more! Gotta say my favourite is the Whinchat for complete surprise and Kingfisher for plumage, what a bird!

I have rung some pretty nice birds since i started in July, and some of my favourites have been Golcrests, Redwings, Great spotted Woodpecker, Treecreeper and Nuthatch

Nice, haven't rung Nuthatch but retrapped one from a previous year, lovely bird a lot better natured than damn blue tits! Missed out on a chance on Raven (the first to nest in the area since i have been born) because of Physics revision!!! Damn school :p Been lucky enough however to go along and watch Red Kite ringing, my turn to ring next year, this year there was 6 of us and 3 birds to ring. Top species was Reed Bunting when i last checked, however since i last checked I have been titting every weekend for the last 2 months. Waxwing would be a dream in the hand...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back