• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (15 Viewers)

Bloody Blue/Great tits! Magpies pack quite a bite too. Must say however, never underestimate a GSW, worst of the lot if you get got a full throttle >.<

And my trainer rung one years back, really jealous. He also had a dead one in his freezer til a couple of years back that got brought in with a ring on its leg. Would love to do coastal ringing during peak migration, hopefully one day soon...

Never done a Magpie, but if they are anything like Rooks...
Yeah, woodpeckers, have a horible grip, but even that is nothing compared to a peck :)
Same with the migration, one day, one day :)

This years the coastal ringers at seacroft (on the wash) scored Redstart, Pied Fly hundreds of goldcrests, robins, blackbirds and other winter thrushes. Wryneck and Barred Warbler at Gibralter point aswell. almost forgot the firecrests! So jealous...

...as for the Red Kites, I know the right people thanks to my trainer being pretty much the top ringer in the area, great chap and an enviable list of ringed species...

And my trainer rung one years back, really jealous. He also had a dead one in his freezer til a couple of years back that got brought in with a ring on its leg. Would love to do coastal ringing during peak migration, hopefully one day soon...

Waxwing that is...

Strolled a couple of miles of Fen on the way to school this morning, fog very thick and eerie, very reliant on ears. Despite this I managed to ID, Skylark, Yellowhammer, Reebo's, Mipits and Fieldfares along with the usual Goldfinch's which are becoming evermore common around the fens. Most ringed bird in South Lincolnshire this year unless something big happens before New years...

Anybody else on here awaiting Uni offers?

Very good down at the local patch today, brief views of one of the Otters for the first time was brilliant o:D then my best ever views of Cetti's Warbler down to 15ft :eek!: and also Scaup for a yeartick

Thanks everyone for the advice on ringing, I've contacted someone through the BTO website and hopefully should be able to get involved in some ringing soon which sounds awesome from what all of you lot have said.

I haven't been doing anywhere near as much birding as I'd like to recently although last night I did hear a couple of redwings passing over from the house which was pretty cool. And the night before that spent 7 hours watching crows and gulls overhead having been kettled in by the police...

Good day out it in the field today! Just one of those days when it feels like everything is flowing in the right direction - Serin, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Black Redstart, Common Kessy, Crested Lark, Sardinian Warbler, Sparrowhawk, Cattle Egret, Slender billed gull, Southern grey shrike, Ringed Plover, Black winged stilt, Redshank, Sanderling, Dunlin, Little Stint, Golden Plover, Grey Plover, Fan tailed warbler, Hoopoe, Chiffchaff, Water Pipit, Meadow Pipit, Shelduck, Cormorant, Grey Heron and Osprey to name all the ones I can remember... ;)

Best views I have ever got of an Osprey as it was peched on a solar panel pretty close to the hide I was sitting in... but the best moment of the day was when I was scanning a dried up field full with passerines and to my utter suprise came upon an absolutely fantastic Stone curlew out in the open! A target bird for me! I have never heard of any records of them at this site :t:

Last edited:
Good day out it in the field today! Just one of those days when it feels like everything is flowing in the right direction - Serin, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Black Redstart, Common Kessy, Crested Lark, Sardinian Warbler, Sparrowhawk, Cattle Egret, Slender billed gull, Southern grey shrike, Ringed Plover, Black winged stilt, Redshank, Sanderling, Dunlin, Little Stint, Golden Plover, Grey Plover, Fan tailed warbler, Hoopoe, Chiffchaff, Water Pipit, Meadow Pipit, Shelduck, Cormorant, Grey Heron and Osprey to name all the ones I can remember... ;)

Best views I have ever got of an Osprey as it was peched on a solar panel pretty close to the hide I was sitting in... but the best moment of the day was when I was scanning a dried up field full with passerines and to my utter suprise came upon an absolutely fantastic Stone curlew out in the open! A target bird for me! I have never heard of any records of them at this site :t:

Tj. Would you mind if i'd ask you two questions?

Are you in Spain now?
If you are, where?

Tj. Would you mind if i'd ask you two questions?

Are you in Spain now?
If you are, where?

Yeah no probs. Yes, I am and I live in Altea in south west Spain in the Alicante region. If you want to know where the bird was seen it was at a reserve near Santa pola, about 17 kilometres from the town. Torrj - something :-O

Cold Weather and Snow

Has anyone else got any snow at the minute? Since thursday we have had loads up here.
Also has anyone seen anything unusual around as a result? Yesterday a large flock of mixed geese flew over us, south and flocks of thrushes have been flying around. Woodpeckers have been using the feeders more often and we added Redwing and Fieldfare to our garden list. On my estate I saw my 2nd Pheasant and I'm just waiting for a woodcock or something...

Sounds like a fab day mate, well done, I will look forward to hearing more about it!

It's been a long time since I mentioned any blog updates of mine in this topic! That is because I have finally decided to get rid of my old blog, as I was so horrendously out of date with it! I now have a new blog, which was originally just a photography blog. However, it has now been renovated into a general birding blog, which includes my own photos as well as accounts of my birding exploits. If any of you use blogspot and have a link to my old blog, I reccomend replacing that link with the one below, and furthermore if you were following my old blog, I advise you now follow this one instead. To enter the blog at any point click on the link in my signature or on the link below. Any comments or feedback on the blog would be much appreciated in the blog. :t:

http://josephnicholsbirding.blogspot.com/

Thanks very much,

Joseph

Last edited:
Alright Guys,

Thought I'd post up on here just to let you know about my blog http://timsbirding.blogspot.com/ just done a post about the BBRC Work In Progress file, would be interested to get the views of some fellow young birders on some of the stuff I've put on there, Cheers

The Sooty Albatross is an interesting one, I have met the observer and he is a very good and experiences birdwatcher. He lives on the Isle of Mull and is called David Woodhouse. On this website in his diary he mentions the Sooty Albatross sighting a few times. I have no doubt he sees many hundreds of Gannets throughout the year of the coast of Mull and therefore knows what is a gannet and what is not.

Some might call be naive but I have no doubt this was a Sooty Albatross and not a Gannet. I have faith in people and there observations, he didn't get a picture which was a great shame but I think because of that reason the record won't get accepted even if David does give good notes on the bird.

As for the SBC...............I hope if it is rejected a good explanation of why will be supplied. Rather than "Well, some of us were a bit jealous we didn't see it. So........";)

The Sooty Albatross is an interesting one, I have met the observer and he is a very good and experiences birdwatcher. He lives on the Isle of Mull and is called David Woodhouse. On this website in his diary he mentions the Sooty Albatross sighting a few times. I have no doubt he sees many hundreds of Gannets throughout the year of the coast of Mull and therefore knows what is a gannet and what is not.

Some might call be naive but I have no doubt this was a Sooty Albatross and not a Gannet. I have faith in people and there observations, he didn't get a picture which was a great shame but I think because of that reason the record won't get accepted even if David does give good notes on the bird.

As for the SBC...............I hope if it is rejected a good explanation of why will be supplied. Rather than "Well, some of us were a bit jealous we didn't see it. So........";)

Cheers for info on the Sooty Albatross. Found his website here http://www.torrbuan.com/frames.htm and it seems that he is 100% convinced that he saw a Sooty Albatross. Surely with a proper description from all 3 of them could see it getting accepted although many of these mega seabirds often slip through the net without photos!

New post on the blog about Redpolls.

Garden birding is all I get time to do atm due to school and having lots of sport after school meaning I don't have time to get out birding much. A walk around the fields behind my house on a free evening produced 3 Meadow Pipits which were "knew in" and 14 Lapwings feeding in one of the fields. The areas of flooded grass which are usually good for snipe and moorhen were frozen so neither seen and a walk through a small woodland didn't produce the hope for woodcock, but i'll keep trying!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back