• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (23 Viewers)

I reckon the best Garden bird that's ever actually been in the garden was a Woodcock. Totally gutted that it was only my sister that saw it though! Other than that flyover Yellow Wagtail, Common Buzzard and Skylark have been pretty nice birds for a very built up area of West London although not really in the garden!

Its great to see so many young birders on here, I hope you keep up the hobby. Really impressed with all your blogs as well. I started birding when I was 10 and I'm 24 now. 2010 has been a fantastic year for me as not only did I see over 300 in the UK in a year but also launched my own tour company based in Spain. Anything is possible with this hobby and I hope you all continue to enjoy it. Checkout my blog if you like - link at the bottom of this post,

Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year,

Ash

any of you feed birds in your garden?
If so what is the best bird you've had in the garden!?

I think mine would be Goldcrest! beautiful! and Britain's smallest bird!

Best bird in the Garden would probably be Water Rail or Black Redstart and around/over, probably 4 (2.ad, 2.juv) Greenland White-fronted Geese in the field next to our house (although i didnt see it, seen and photo'd by my mum! :-C)

Nice one, that's a decent total! :king: The 45 in my garden back in 2008 only landed very briefly - they are after all very flighty!

Merry Christmas,

Joseph

I found some wo years back, and saw them regularly, and aparently a flock was seen on my Estate when I was away. So it was extra special to catch up with them!
I really like the blog too Joseph :t:

I found some wo years back, and saw them regularly, and aparently a flock was seen on my Estate when I was away. So it was extra special to catch up with them!
I really like the blog too Joseph :t:

Cool, I see what you mean - it's always good to catch up with birds you've been pursuing!

Thanks very much, your blog is great too! I am following your blog, and I also have it on my blog list on my blog. If you really like my blog, I would really appreciate it if you kept up to date with it by following the blog. :t:

Hope you've had a good Christmas,

Joseph

Canny good day today, ringing in N Yorks.
7 Coal Tits
3 Blue Tits
2 Great Tits
1 Robin
1 Long Tailed Tit
1 Redwing- My 3rd
1 Great Spotted Woodpecker-my 2nd
1 Brambling- my 1st

Going to sum it up on my blog now, lots of posts on there recently.

Plans- Ringing hopefuly twice before the weeks out.
New Year-
*New years Day- Saltholme?
*2nd- Teeside, North Yorks.
*3rd Up coast (Aberlady?)
Quite afew birds possible with that line up- could have a brilliant start to the year! Anyone else got any plans?

Sleeping and sobering up ;)

Lucky, I think ;)
Were not having a big party this year as far as I know so I got an early morning :(

Went to RSPB Saltholme today. ABSOLUTLY FANTASTIC! Just a short visit in the afternoon. We went straight to the Wildlife Watchpoint and a Water Rail was on show practically the whole time I was there, and I got afew ok pictures (well, not that good). Then we headed of after a while to try to see the Bittern that had been seen in the area. Well, it was showing well, sorry brilliantly on the frozen edge of a little stream for hours on end. I got some photos of that too :)
After it was lost from sight for a bit I headed to the Owl watch point and had amazing views of two Long Eared Owls. Wow! Photos on later I hope, and Blog post too!

Oh yeah- another Garden first today- Brambling female. There were also two at Saltholme (F) and the one I rung yesterday was a male!

Lucky, I think ;)
Were not having a big party this year as far as I know so I got an early morning :(

Went to RSPB Saltholme today. ABSOLUTLY FANTASTIC! Just a short visit in the afternoon. We went straight to the Wildlife Watchpoint and a Water Rail was on show practically the whole time I was there, and I got afew ok pictures (well, not that good). Then we headed of after a while to try to see the Bittern that had been seen in the area. Well, it was showing well, sorry brilliantly on the frozen edge of a little stream for hours on end. I got some photos of that too :)
After it was lost from sight for a bit I headed to the Owl watch point and had amazing views of two Long Eared Owls. Wow! Photos on later I hope, and Blog post too!

Oh yeah- another Garden first today- Brambling female. There were also two at Saltholme (F) and the one I rung yesterday was a male!

Great day! What's that about an owl watchpoint? I've never seen Long-eared Owl except for one flying around in the dark, so if there's a permanent watchpoint I'll try and make a visit there at some point in the future...

Great day! What's that about an owl watchpoint? I've never seen Long-eared Owl except for one flying around in the dark, so if there's a permanent watchpoint I'll try and make a visit there at some point in the future...

I'm not sure if its permanent, but at RSPB Saltholme there is a flock of about 8 LEOs and there showing well, you can visit between 11-2 I think.

Just back from a great trip to Gambia. 178 species of birds including 4 species of Roller and 4 species of Bee Eater.
Will post the list shortly.
Happy new year everyone.

Wow that sounds like a great trip simmojunior :t:

I was wondering if this years yearlist competition should be on this thread or on a seperate thread? What does everyone think, any thoughts are appreciated

Jonny

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back