• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (3 Viewers)

Brilliant birding week in SW Scotland takes me to 154. Had some amazing birds including 2 lifers, Blue- Winged Teal and Ref- Breasted Goose. Caught up with Dipper (2), a bird which had avoided me throughout last year. I twitched a stunning Great Grey Shrike yesterday, with red grouse being another yeartick nearby and both gave stunning views. Other highlights included Smew, having 3 grebes and 2 divers in one scope view (Great Crested, Red Necked and Slavonian Grebes and Red Throated and Great Northern Divers. Massive nuumbers of Waders, gulls and Geese made the trip evenbetter.
I missed two birds I should be able to go home and lost a lifer (Taverner's goose).

Brilliant birding week in SW Scotland takes me to 154. Had some amazing birds including 2 lifers, Blue- Winged Teal and Ref- Breasted Goose. Caught up with Dipper (2), a bird which had avoided me throughout last year. I twitched a stunning Great Grey Shrike yesterday, with red grouse being another yeartick nearby and both gave stunning views. Other highlights included Smew, having 3 grebes and 2 divers in one scope view (Great Crested, Red Necked and Slavonian Grebes and Red Throated and Great Northern Divers. Massive nuumbers of Waders, gulls and Geese made the trip evenbetter.
I missed two birds I should be able to go home and lost a lifer (Taverner's goose).

What do you mean you "missed two birds I should be able to go home and lost a lifer (Taverner's Goose)"??

Sam

PS: Send me a PM about the LSW if you like :t:

Hi Sam,
Talked to a few people and I was told I should easily get Grey Wagtail and Rock Pipit in Dumfries, probably the two comment birds I'm missing, but didn't see either. I should be able to get them around mine (I've had Grey wag in the garden and rock pipit just down the road).
With the lost lifer it's the Taverners cackling Goose I found at Carsethorn on the 13th, but a Todd's was found nearby and photographed. I've talked to a few people and still think mine is Taverner's, but with the Todd's nearby all canadas seem to be reported as Todd's, so won't count the Goose.

Hi Sam,
Talked to a few people and I was told I should easily get Grey Wagtail and Rock Pipit in Dumfries, probably the two comment birds I'm missing, but didn't see either. I should be able to get them around mine (I've had Grey wag in the garden and rock pipit just down the road).
With the lost lifer it's the Taverners cackling Goose I found at Carsethorn on the 13th, but a Todd's was found nearby and photographed. I've talked to a few people and still think mine is Taverner's, but with the Todd's nearby all canadas seem to be reported as Todd's, so won't count the Goose.

Go on count it anyway :t: No sound evidence that it wasnt Taverners! Take it youve seen Todds before then??

Sam

Go on count it anyway :t: No sound evidence that it wasnt Taverners! Take it youve seen Todds before then??

Sam

I hadnt seen Todd's before, although I did also go and see this bird later in the week, but itd a subspecies of Canada and Taverner's is the lagest subspecies of cackling.

If everyone is ok with me counting it here,
155- Taverner's Canada Goose
Michael :t:

I hadnt seen Todd's before, although I did also go and see this bird later in the week, but itd a subspecies of Canada and Taverner's is the lagest subspecies of cackling.

If everyone is ok with me counting it here,
155- Taverner's Canada Goose
Michael :t:

Although on the British List they are all only counted as 1 Canada Goose species

From BOU:

Canada Goose Branta canadensis

Now treated as two separate species:

Greater Canada Goose B. canadensis (polytypic, with subspecies canadensis, fulva, interior, maxima, moffitti, occidentalis and parvipes )
Lesser Canada Goose B. hutchinsii (polytypic, with subspecies hutchinsii, leucopareia, minima and taverneri )

Although as you rightly point out Canada Goose has been split into the two groups, there has to have been an accepted record for it to appear on the British List. At present they are still in the process of assessing all the vagrant Canada Geese records to determine subspecies etc which is far from straightforward, and therefore until such time as one which falls within the Cackling group is formally accepted it won't appear on the list.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Regards

Simon

Really should 'Bump' this thread back up, as it was falling down and don't to lose this thread!

The reason is there is now a young birders facebook group so a lot of the discussion has moved to there. While birdforum is a fantastic resource, the facebook group gives more flexibility and means we can discuss things in a more light hearted manner.

If you have facebook, it should be relatively easy to find.

Last edited:
Up to 124, with three year ticks in the form of Long-tailed Duck and a redhead Smew at Strathbeg and Grey Wagtail earlier this week. Highlights today included a second winter Iceland Gull at Strathbeg Lagoon, the abovementioned redhead Smew, two ringtail Hen Harriers (one at Strathbeg, one Meikle Loch), 2 female Scaup on Sand Loch at Sands of Forvie and 4 Short-eared Owls (one at Strathbeg, 3 at Sands of Forvie).

Re this thread falling behind, whilst Facebook is the better alternative it is important to keep this thread going. Whilst I no longer have Facebook and am thus not part of that group, this thread is quite frankly one of Birdforum's most successful and longest going threads. So much discussion has gone on here, much to the enjoyment of us and other members too I'd think. It would be a shame to let it go or lose its activity.

Joseph

Last edited:
Up to 125, with three year ticks in the form of Long-tailed Duck and a redhead Smew at Strathbeg and Grey Wagtail earlier this week. Highlights today included a second winter Iceland Gull at Strathbeg Lagoon, the abovementioned redhead Smew, two ringtail Hen Harriers (one at Strathbeg, one Meikle Loch), 2 female Scaup on Sand Loch at Sands of Forvie and 4 Short-eared Owls (one at Strathbeg, 3 at Sands of Forvie).

Re this thread falling behind, whilst Facebook is the better alternative it is important to keep this thread going. Whilst I no longer have Facebook and am thus not part of that group, this thread is quite frankly one of Birdforum's most successful and longest going threads. So much discussion has gone on here, much to the enjoyment of us and other members too I'd think. It would be a shame to let it go or lose its activity.

Joseph

Would post more if I actually saw anything recently. Also my main computer has also been offline for a while so I can't post recent pics, but will when I get it back. :t: Also agree that the thread should "live long and prosper"!

Sam

Agree with what's been said, although I do use the Facebook site.
Had a small days birding locally adding two- Bittern and Long Eared Owl which was nice- two difficult species. They take me up to 157 :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back