• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (3 Viewers)

Hi Armin, thanks for alerting me, seems that I forgot to change your total. Nice one with the Black Storks, that species is near the top of my most wanted species to see in the UK; just superb birds.

Joseph

Hi Joseph,
I love Black Storks, they are so amazing bird!
Hope you see this speices in the UK.
I live in a nice region for the species (around my village 3 breeding pairs:)

Today I tried to see my 300 species in Germany but I dipped the Purple Heron:(
But I saw a new year species (European Kingfisher).

So i´m now on 232:)

Greets Armin

1st) Armin Kreusel (Germany, Hannover) - 232 species
2nd) Birding Maniac (UK, Durham) - 219 species
3rd) Birder of the South (UK, South) - 211 species
4th) Jonny721 (UK, Lancashire) - 193 species
5th) Joseph N (UK, Aberdeenshire) - 184 species
6th) Knotsbirder (UK, Nottinghamshire) - 184 species
7th) Simmojunior (UK, London) - 182 species
8th) Samuel Perfect (UK, Herts) - 163 species
9th) Joshua B (Australia, Sydney) – 142 species
10th) Ospr3y (USA) - 140 species
11th) Silverstar24 (UK, London) - 136 species
12th) DIJ (UK, Lincs) - 117 species
13th) Halcon (Spain) - 114 species
14th) Midlands Birder (UK, Midlands) - 109 species
15th) Mari E (Japan) - 101 species
16th) Mworks (UK, Lancashire) - 96 species
17th) Adin 92 (Malta) - 80 species
18th) Trevistky (Canada) - 65 species
19th) Goldfinch12 (UK, Lancashire) - 59 species
20th) Wildlifelove (UK, Essex) - 56 species
21st) Sandhill Crane Lover (USA) – 54 species
22nd) Beth598x (UK, South) - 19 species

Up to 184 with two decent Nearctic ducks, American Wigeon at Strathbeg and drake Surf Scoter off Murcar. The Black Scoter off the latter site has been very elusive and has not been seen for nearly a week now.

I'll be heading to mid Wales next week and then Somerset for a family holiday, before rounding it off with a week or so in Norfolk. A good deal of birding will be done and I'm looking forward to what it will produce.

@Sam: I think I'll stick with Sandhill ;) . Fantastic shots, especially the first Chough shot and the Stonechat. Glad your trip to North Wales was sucessful.

@Daniel: Great to have you back and look forward to hearing more from you. Have added you to the yearlist comp, as Sam says 21 is the age limit so no worries there.

@Armin: Thank you, Black Stork is a big rarity in the UK so in that respect it would also be very exciting to see one. That sounds amazing, would love to have the privilege of that many nesting nearby; hope you reach 300 soon.

Joseph

Attachments

• IMG_3413.JPG
    IMG_3413.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
183) Goshawk (forgot it from Wales)

184) LITTLE SWIFT!!!!!!

Shot across the country today to pay this little star a visit. Birds can't get much better! Very obliging, flying within 2 feet of my head, and a perfect specimen to boot.

Sam

PS: Nice Am' Wigeon shot Joe! Always a nice bird to see, especially in an unusual (eclipse?) plumage.

Attachments

• Little Swift.jpg
    Little Swift.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 73
  • Little Swift 3.jpg
    Little Swift 3.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Congrats on the Little Swift. What a little stunner, as your shots portray really nicely. I have updated your yearlist total in my above post. Yeah the Am Wigeon was pretty striking today, especially with it largely lacking the cream crown. Yeah it seems to be in eclipse plumage, albeit the early stages as its very dingy around the flanks etc and has yet to develop that uniform orange wash to the breast that most eclipse Am Wigeons have.

Joseph

Last edited:
@Armin: Thank you, Black Stork is a big rarity in the UK so in that respect it would also be very exciting to see one. That sounds amazing, would love to have the privilege of that many nesting nearby; hope you reach 300 soon.

Joseph

Hay Joseph,
therefor you have other beautiful birds in UK which are in Germany a very big rarity:)
But you are right it´s amazing to have the privilege with breeding Black Storks.

Thanks. The last days or weeks were all nice birds around germany and not in germany:(
I can get the Ortolan Bunting 90mins away from me but I hope to see a big rarity as 300:)

All the latest in september I get some Lifer cause I spent from 1st of September one year on Helgoland:)
I make an volunteer year on the Institute of Avian Research "Vogelwarte Helgoland and we ringed birds daily and I hope to hold many beautiful birds like Red-flanked Bluetail or Yellow-browed Warbler in my hands:)

Today I decided to look for the 2cy Red-throated Diver 20mins away from me.
I had some nice views and a new year-species.

@Sam: I can´t count too! I´m now on 238 and not 233 in this year.

Congrats to all nice birds you see.
Perfect pics of the Little Swift!

1st) Armin Kreusel (Germany, Hannover) - 238 species
2nd) Birding Maniac (UK, Durham) - 219 species
3rd) Birder of the South (UK, South) - 211 species
4th) Jonny721 (UK, Lancashire) - 193 species
5th) Knotsbirder (UK, Nottinghamshire) - 185 species
6th) Joseph N (UK, Aberdeenshire) - 184 species
7th) Simmojunior (UK, London) - 182 species
8th) Samuel Perfect (UK, Herts) - 163 species
9th) Joshua B (Australia, Sydney) – 142 species
10th) Ospr3y (USA) - 140 species
11th) Silverstar24 (UK, London) - 136 species
12th) DIJ (UK, Lincs) - 117 species
13th) Halcon (Spain) - 114 species
14th) Midlands Birder (UK, Midlands) - 109 species
15th) Mari E (Japan) - 101 species
16th) Mworks (UK, Lancashire) - 96 species
17th) Adin 92 (Malta) - 80 species
18th) Trevistky (Canada) - 65 species
19th) Goldfinch12 (UK, Lancashire) - 59 species
20th) Wildlifelove (UK, Essex) - 56 species
21st) Sandhill Crane Lover (USA) – 54 species
22nd) Beth598x (UK, South) - 19 species

Hi Armin, that's very true. Whilst not the most beautiful of birds, I was looking at the German List and it says that Shag is a rarity, which is interesting as they're pretty common here in Britain. I guess they appear occasionally on passage and are not a very big rarity? Would be interesting to know of any other species which are common here but rare there, though I imagine you must get the vast majority of species that we have here.

By the way you're so lucky to be volunteering for a year at Heligoland! That's the equivalent to volunteering at Fair Isle, Spurn or Portland here in Britain - to be honest its probably better there than any of those British observatories that I've mentioned. I am sure you'll see some great passerines in the hand and witness migration at its best. I will look forward to hearing what you see when the time comes.

Joseph

Hi Joseph,
Shag isn´t a real rarity in germany.
Every month you can see 1-10 Shags on Heligoland if you look carefully.
But in other parts of germany is the Shag a rarity.

Yes the vast majority of species is equal but you have many american species like Lesser Yellowlegs (11 records in Germany), Greater Yellowlegs (no record in Germay!), Spotted Sandpiper, Dartford Warbler and so on which are in Germany a very very big rarity and for you nearly daily routine;)

Otherwise we have breeding River Warblers which is in the UK a rarity?

Yes i´m very lucky to have the chance to live one year on heligoland. I´ll get many experiences by ringing birds and have the best chances to find and see very rare eastern Passerines.
I hope to find a Puffin under the thousands Guillemots:)

I will give regularly a report of my observations when the time comes.

Greets Armin

Hi Joseph,
Shag isn´t a real rarity in germany.
Every month you can see 1-10 Shags on Heligoland if you look carefully.
But in other parts of germany is the Shag a rarity.

Yes the vast majority of species is equal but you have many american species like Lesser Yellowlegs (11 records in Germany), Greater Yellowlegs (no record in Germay!), Spotted Sandpiper, Dartford Warbler and so on which are in Germany a very very big rarity and for you nearly daily routine;)

Otherwise we have breeding River Warblers which is in the UK a rarity?

Yes i´m very lucky to have the chance to live one year on heligoland. I´ll get many experiences by ringing birds and have the best chances to find and see very rare eastern Passerines.
I hope to find a Puffin under the thousands Guillemots:)

I will give regularly a report of my observations when the time comes.

Greets Armin

Hi Armin, thanks for the info on Shag in Germany; would make sense what with there being a seabird colony on Heligoland. Still very interesting though that they're rare elsewhere in Germany. Best of luck on Heligoland when the time comes.

As for the species you've mentioned, I wish they were daily routine! Dartford Warbler is a very localised breeder in Britain, breeding in small numbers in just a few areas of England and noticeably declining; the chances of seeing them away from these areas are very low. Greater Yellowlegs is a mega rarity like in Germany though not to the same extent it seems (47 records, only just over 10 in the last 15 years), whilst Spotted Sandpiper and Lesser Yellowlegs are also vagrants (though Lesser Yellowlegs are not as rare) but annual on a national scale. Americaan/Nearctic species are vagrants in the UK, as in Germany.

River Warbler is more or less a mega rarity in Britain with just 39 accepted records. There's one on Fair Isle at the moment and 12 (soon to be 13) records relate to individuals seen on that island.

Joseph

Last edited:
Hi all

Have just been reading the last few posts regarding the year list competition and may I say it's an excellent idea. I just wish this sort of thing was around when I first started year listing 11+ years ago. I guess I'm too old to join in nowadays being nearly 37!!

It's good to see my mate Samuel is doing well up in 8th! Feel free to check my blog if your interested.

Enjoy the rest of the year.

Ian

Hi Armin, thanks for the info on Shag in Germany; would make sense what with there being a seabird colony on Heligoland. Still very interesting though that they're rare elsewhere in Germany. Best of luck on Heligoland when the time comes.

As for the species you've mentioned, I wish they were daily routine! Dartford Warbler is a very localised breeder in Britain, breeding in small numbers in just a few areas of England and noticeably declining; the chances of seeing them away from these areas are very low. Greater Yellowlegs is a mega rarity like in Germany though not to the same extent it seems (47 records, only just over 10 in the last 15 years), whilst Spotted Sandpiper and Lesser Yellowlegs are also vagrants (though Lesser Yellowlegs are not as rare) but annual on a national scale. Americaan/Nearctic species are vagrants in the UK, as in Germany.

River Warbler is more or less a mega rarity in Britain with just 39 accepted records. There's one on Fair Isle at the moment and 12 (soon to be 13) records relate to individuals seen on that island.

Joseph

Hay Joseph,
i think that nobody look carefully at each cormorant on the german cost.

Thanks for your info.
I think that the UK has more nearctic species.
American species are very rare here especially passerines.
The UK has a better position than germany.
When a nearcitc species fly over the Atlantic they will reach the Westcoast of Europe so the chances to see some species is higher in Spain France Netherlands or the UK.

What species are in the UK Common and in Germany a rarity?
I think Puffin, more ore less the Manx Shearwater and?

Greets Armin

Year List

My year list is about 215 I'll count it on Sunday. That puts me in fourth if that list still mattters. I'm a young birder age 14.

-keep calm and carry on-

Hi harpyeagle and welcome! Where are you based?
As a rule we only count birds seen in your home country to keep things fair, so sadly your Belize trip totals won't count towards this.

I'll try and give some updates now I've left school, exam period left me with no time!

Hi harpyeagle and welcome! Where are you based?
As a rule we only count birds seen in your home country to keep things fair, so sadly your Belize trip totals won't count towards this.

I'll try and give some updates now I've left school, exam period left me with no time!

Ah pity that puts my total down to 175. I am based in America. Everything above 175 was in England where my family is from... Anyway I don't know what 175 puts me in but there you have it. I would be higher but I haven't been birding in the US for about a month... And migration ended.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back