• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (11 Viewers)

Back from birding upstate. Some good stuff...

At the B and B:

Downy, Hairy, and Red-bellied WP, and a sapsucker.
Ruby-throated Hummingbird.
A FLOCK, yes a FLOCK of Great Crested Flycatchers. I'm still mulling that over in me head...
BOTH nuthatches. That was interesting.
Scarlet Tanagers. Two I think.

The first full day up there was spent at Montezuma NWR. On the way up I had a young Indigo Bunting in a corn field. At Montezuma:

Bald Eagles: 6
Red-tailed Hawk: 1
Osprey: ~10
... all flying over the same pond, mind you...
American Kestrels nearby.
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs
Short-billed Dowitcher
Spotted Sandpipers
Solitary Sandpipers (maybe every third shorebird, but there weren't many to begin with)
Least Sandpipers
Purple Martins (finishing all the eastern swallows in my state of NY, and Cave Swallows are possible in fall now)

And the usual specialty larids...

Caspian Terns (35)
Black Terns (10-15)

Not too much at Cornell's Sapsucker Woods, besides a couple of female Purple Finches in the parking lot (!). Oh yeah, I found Wood Thrush (sorry Bob!), and nesting House Wren, waxwing, Swamp Sparrow, and robins! Least Flycatcher topped off the day there.

Tompkins County Airport:

RB Grosbeaks, orioles, towhees, the like.
A possible out-of-season Tennesse Warbler.

Stewart Park at the foot of Lake Cayuga:

Out-of-season American Wigeon.
31 more Caspian Terns.

74 species total. Not bad for two days in the summer.

i was away from the forum for about a year, so i missed a lot of things when i came back... Under my name it used to read "Young Birder" but i decided to change it.

And have fun in El Paso David!

yeah, i ended up not going today. :( but i might go later in the week or next. but now im just packing for the AZ trip:smoke: !!! so exited. but today i went birding in a forest that had been completely destroyed in a forest fire, so it had changed into desertish chapparal and scrub. I saw a flock of about 15 bushtits, LOADS of American Kestrels, towhees, juncos, house finches, and got two lifers: Cassins Kingbird and Cactus Wren!!! yay me!.. hmmmmm, i also found a bird that wasnt on my lincoln county checklist: Eurasian Collared Dove. lucky meo:) o:D

Sounds like a nice trip that you had there. Maybe your plane can be laid over for like 2 weeks so that when i arrive odwn there you will still be there... :p

haha! first of all we drive up here, so no planes 8-P. then theres an even les likely chance the CCWA will be there (wchish is the whole reason i planned this trip, even though i prob wont see it) but it would be fun to meet a YB

glad to hear your enjoying your trip ot! your getting lifesr like cray-zee!

Gah! he's catching up to me!

Must twitch! Must twitch! What happened to that Curlew Sandpiper at Jamaica Bay? Also, there's one on prince Edward Island right now. This is their year!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back