• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

Simeon, one question - what the heck were you doing in Kings Lynn on the way back from school, thats like a 10 mile detour!

Late bus...had loads of DT coursework (and still do)

Managed to get out to Denver Sluice this evening. A high count of 18 Stock Doves on a singl field was pretty cool. The usual warblers were around...Willow, Chiff, Sedge, Whitethroat. Also had 3 Reed Warblers which are my first this year. And at the end the first 3 House Martins have returned to their nests above the sluice gate! :t: I like spring evenings too!

Norfolk is finally starting to produce. Today there were Blue Headed Wagtail, Black Tern, Common Crane, Spoonbill, Red Rumped Swallow and a possible Woodchat Shrike at various locations! Hopefully I'll be able to get out next weekend...

I hate you Lee!!!!!!!!!!! Stoooopid sparrow!!!!!!!!!!

ahh how come? I take it you didn't see it? I was lucky enough to see it 5 times. (sorry lol)

Thankyou :t:

and I use a Canon 30D and a Canon 100-400mm IS zoom lense!!

Cheers,
Lee

Are you trying to kill me by giving me heart attacks?! I know its a pretty bird, but why 5 times? I was going to twitch it (and the Bonapartes) from Oxford today cos Ive only just finished exams (and was in Norfolk til last weekend), but they both left :(

Unlucky bout that James. It's not as if either of them are firsts for Britain though...
Just had my first Swift of the year when one flew over the house! :t:

Are you trying to kill me by giving me heart attacks?! I know its a pretty bird, but why 5 times? I was going to twitch it (and the Bonapartes) from Oxford today cos Ive only just finished exams (and was in Norfolk til last weekend), but they both left :(

Erm well its not often you get such a rare and beautifull bird in your home county! well maybe not you as norfolk always turns up rare stuff but definately in hants. I also wanted a better shot because it was pretty manic there the first few days!

Had 2 Grey Herons, a Kestrel and a Swallow over the house today, along with the Swift this morning. Also had a recently fledged Song Thrush in the garden.

Had my first Common Swifts of the year down the farm today. Including a group of c.8 moving STRAIGHT through. Also Lesser Whitethroats, plenty hirundines, 2 Peregrines, a probable Hobby etc etc.
Hopefully do some seawatching at Dunge tomorrow.

Good luck at Dunge tomorrow David. Had a House Martin over the house and saw the grey herons again today...but elsewhere in Norfolk things have been much better!

Denver Sluice this morning held plenty of new migrants! 7 House Martin, 2 Sand Martin, 1 Swift, 1 Common Sandpiper, 2 Common Tern, 1 Cuckoo (male), 2 Turtle Dove, 14 Sedge Warblers, 11 Whitethroat, Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers, Blackcaps and Reed Warblers. I'll put some pics of a Sedge Warbler on my site in a sec; www.freewebs.com/simsdiary

Nice haul Simeon!

Teamsaint, you asked about free bird news on the Norfolk thread - Simeon and I use Birdguides bird news extra. You have to sign up for it, but dont have to pay anything unless you want the full info. It tells you the species, county and site, and for the most recent report it gives the full details but otherwise you have to ask around for extra info.

Hi everyone last night i went to Brockholes Quarry and saw 2 avocet, 1 gargeney(male), 5 lapwing, shoveler, 4 oystercatchers, 143 whimbrel, 2 chiffchaff, 5+ house martins, 2 little ringed plover they are nesting there, 5 goldfinch, 2 curlew, m+f gadwall, 6 herons, 1 m reedbunting and today i went to Brindel woods and saw 2 coal tits, 1 wren, chiffchaff, heard a green woodpecker, heard a nuthach, 2 goldfinch and 1 goldcrest :king:

Last edited:
Havent been birding for awhile but going wednesday anyway here is some pics of the willow warblers in my garden(bad pics).......

Attachments

• 2009_0117birding0021.JPG
    2009_0117birding0021.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 2009_0117birding0022.JPG
    2009_0117birding0022.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 2009_0117birding0023.JPG
    2009_0117birding0023.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 2009_0117birding0024.JPG
    2009_0117birding0024.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 2009_0117birding0025.JPG
    2009_0117birding0025.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 56
A list of 158 at 13 is impressive if you are mainly relying on holidays and local birding.

Having a local patch is very rewarding and can bring some surprises.

As for birdwatching further afield, organised trips by bird clubs and such as the RSPB can be invaluable. There are usually a few experienced watchers who will be pleased to have you tag along.

I have not been particularly active for many years, but have fond memories of trips out with enthusiastic young people, some of whom I hope have continued to develop their interest.

If you look on the regional information forums on BirdForum you can get a good idea as to where the good bird sites are from the daily reports.

Just a plug for my native county, Lincolnshire and my current home in Northumberland. In the autumn and winter, Gibraltar Point NNR in Lincs is great. In May and June the Farne Islands in Northumberland are fantastic. If you photograph, don't take a long lense to the Farnes - the Puffins sit within 2 metres.

Although seeing new birds is exciting, don't go tick mad. Get to know and to enjoy familiar birds very well, that way you will be better equipped to identify the occasional new sighting more successfully.

Erm, no. But I did have 3 Swallows, 3 Common Terns, and a Turtle Dove on the way home from school yesterday!
French oral exam tomorrow :eek!:

Revision crazy!!! I really hate it, havent been birding since last Thursday but will go on Thursday down 'the fen' where I saw a Yellow Wagtail the other week. Also have a trip planned to Bempton Cliffs in about a months time and camping at the weekend near Leeds. Hopefully boost my yearlist, and keep learning warbler calls ;)

Ah first exam next week!!! (im not panicking!)

Daniel

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back