• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

230-Black-Throated Diver
231-Red-Breasted Merganser

Send my personal congrats on the BTD find from Kieran, a nice bird and must be damn tricky down your way. Presume it was it a full winter plum (no final signs of sumplum) ? Clearly you lads couldn't resist going back to the Broads :t: . Cheers mate, would be great to get out with you (and Kieran if he can make it) again when I'm next down, will either be for Christmas or New Year, just not sure which one yet. Hopefully New Year for yearlist purposes - totally thrilled by the fact that I can get down pretty much every holiday period if I want!

The Izzi twitch was awesome, the adrenaline rush was just insane throughout; driving to it, connecting, leaving relieved but then going mental over the RT Robin! In a way it worked out that the Robin disappeared overnight as it didn't eclipse the brilliance of the Izzi - at least for me and I'm sure for you too.

Joseph

Last edited:
In a way it worked out that the Robin disappeared overnight as it didn't eclipse the brilliance of the Izzi - at least for me and I'm sure for you too.

Joseph

Not at 6am the following morning it didn't feel like it worked out! :-O
But yea agree with what you are saying Joseph. The Izzi was a fantastic bird to see, although I didn't agree with how we saw it (you know what I mean, I think?).
Lets hope xmas/new years brings up something awesome!

263 - Pallid Harrier - Dorman's Pool, Durham

What a bird! One of my highlights of year.

Added a pic of my best attempt to do this bird justice! Didn't manage it but doubt any lens could.

Attachments

• BESTPallid.jpg
    BESTPallid.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
haven't been out for a while but finally managed to reach the rspb middleton lakes reserve today for a few hours!

Nothing spectacular but a good feeling to be back out birding! Some lovely views of a LSW on the feeding station they have there for a good few minutes. Other than that fairly quiet though, try and get out tomorrow again to make use of the predicted good weather!

219) Mandarin, Bradley Dams, Derbys

At least 8 birds present, along with a lone Goosander and Widgeon. Later managed one YL Gull at Carsi in the gull roost. Off to Scarborough tomorrow so no updates for a week

Sam

Just took a look on your blog Foghorn! Great write up may i say on the Pallid Harrier you had on sunday! Must have been a great sight :t:

Just took a look on your blog Foghorn! Great write up may i say on the Pallid Harrier you had on sunday! Must have been a great sight :t:

Thanks very much, it was a truly stunning bird. First ever one in Durham. The County has had an amazing year and I have had some brilliant county ticks. Just been a fantastic year.:t:

Thanks very much, it was a truly stunning bird. First ever one in Durham. The County has had an amazing year and I have had some brilliant county ticks. Just been a fantastic year.:t:

Totally agree- it's been an amazing year for rarities, with some brilliant county birds. The Harrier was beautiful as well.
I'm currently in Norfolk and I've had a few year ticks, which I'll update when I get home.

Got some signal s I'll try and update- pretty sure I'm on 242 now, with the harrier, yb warb, rl buzzard and grey phal, seen on an amazing seawatch at clay with a short eared owl fresh in as well, one of my best views ever of this species. I'm planning on being out here the next few nights seawatching, as there's been some good stuff passing, and some lapland buntings on the other side of the reserve.
I'm hoping to get to the isabelline shrike tomorrow, which will hopefully be my 2nd lifer this week!

Hey again guys! Brilliant to see the thread is going nice and strong. Its a shame that I have not been able to contribute for the past few months due to personal things, Anyhow on another note I will be moving down close to Gibraltar and Tarifa in the next few weeks along with my parents! which I am rather excited about!

Last month on a brief visit I had 300 Honey Buzzards, 20 Black Storks, 10 Black Kites 1 ( fantastic ) Egyptian Vulture and 1 Goshawk on a morning vis mig session near Tarifa - I Have yet to visit the local birding hot spots so I am looking forward to that.

I will post a bit more often on upon arrival of on whats in store in the coming months and hopefully will be visiting England more regularly throughout the year. So who knows might see some of you guys around!

Last edited:
lovely read this thread, on my first delve into it!

Young birder myself, well kind of young anyway...I still get ID'd in places, so I am classing that as young!

147 for the year now, so quite happy with that, as I have only gone out of my way once from my inland location, to RSPB Bempton.

Had a brilliant patch twitch on Sunday, slightly blurry from the night before at a relatives birthday party. Amassed 47 species, the best numbers I have had there, and one hell of a way to wake myself up from the night before.

Highlighting being a female Sprawk toying around with a Robin.

hello and welcome to the forum and this thread jambo!

Is a great thread with lots of good young birders to chat with, especially as there aren't a huge amount of us out there :t:

lovely read this thread, on my first delve into it!

Young birder myself, well kind of young anyway...I still get ID'd in places, so I am classing that as young!

147 for the year now, so quite happy with that, as I have only gone out of my way once from my inland location, to RSPB Bempton.

Had a brilliant patch twitch on Sunday, slightly blurry from the night before at a relatives birthday party. Amassed 47 species, the best numbers I have had there, and one hell of a way to wake myself up from the night before.

Highlighting being a female Sprawk toying around with a Robin.

Welcome to the thread Jambo! :t:

243- isabelline (daurian) shrike, horsey. Stunning bird showing brilliantly, at 20x mag I couldn't scope it properly! Seawatching produced my 3rd Grey phalarope in two days, loads of common scoter and 3 red breasted mergansers!
Hoping to go look for some swifts later, after some more seawatching!
Welcome to the thread jambo!

Had scope filling views of the PIED WHEATEAR at Oldbury on severn yesterday, couldnt have shown any better!
SAM_0764.JPG

SAM_0773.JPG

SAM_0775.JPG

SAM_0781.JPG

SAM_0785.jpg

The in flight videograb is to show the black underwings and the tail pattern!
MB

Had the swift that's been hanging around here twice yesterday- once at beeston (the one reported as pallid) and another that looked perfect for imo pallid at west bank, cley, showing well in the fading light but I'm not sure if the Id was confirmed- it wasn't when I left sadly. Not sure whether to add it to my list or not at the minute.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back