• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (1 Viewer)

Yesterday evening I search for my first Nightjars.
More than 3 males called.

So i´m on 207 for the year-list.

In a few days I start a trip to the eastern parts of Germany.
There I have good chances for many Lifers.
I hope to see Bittern, Little Bittern, Lesser spotted Eagle, Little Crake, Hoopoe, Bee-Eater, Trush Nightingale, Red-breasted Flycatcher and Ortolan Bunting (all are Lifer for me) and some other nice birds like Great Bustard.

1st) Birding Maniac (UK, Durham) - 216 species
2nd) Birder of the South (UK, South) - 211 species
3rd) Armin Kreusel (Germany, Hannover) - 208 species
4th) Jonny721 (UK, Lancashire) - 179 species
5th) Joseph N (UK, Aberdeenshire) - 173 species
6th) Simmojunior (UK, London) - 165 species
7th) Knotsbirder (UK, Nottinghamshire) - 155 species
8th) Samuel Perfect (UK, Herts) - 151 species
9th) Joshua B (Australia, Sydney) – 142 species
10th) Ospr3y (USA) - 134 species
11th) Silverstar24 (UK, London) - 131 species
12th) Halcon (Spain) - 114 species
13th) Midlands Birder (UK, Midlands) - 109 species
14th) Mari E (Japan) - 101 species
15th) Adin 92 (Malta) - 80 species
16th) Mworks (UK, Lancashire) - 75 species
17th) Trevistky (Canada) - 65 species
18th) Goldfinch12 (UK, Lancashire) - 59 species
19th) Wildlifelove (UK, Essex) - 56 species
20th) Sandhill Crane Lover (USA) – 54 species
21st) Beth598x (UK, South) - 19 species

Hi guys, sorry for the lack of updates to the yearlist, have been working hard on exams. They have now finished so I will now be able to get out birding much more and update this much more often.

@ Sam: looks like you hit prime time down in Norfolk mate; what are you on for the year now?

@ Armin: As Michael says unfortunately heard only birds aren't counted in this competition. Did you see the Nightjars? Sounds like an amazing trip you've got coming up, looking forward to hearing what you've managed!

@ Samuel Perfect: Welcome to the young birder thread, it's good to have another young birder on board. I have added you to the yearlist competition and looking forward to hearing of updates from you. You've got a very good blog too, have added it to the links on my blog.

@louisfh: Fantastic to hear from you again, its been ages since you last posted on here. Hope you've been enjoying your birding, feel free to join the yearlist comp if you wish.

Up to 173 with a drake Red-crested Pochard being a regional and Scottish tick for me today. Also Bonxie, Arctic Tern and Manx Shearwater are new. Could potentially add a probable Roseate Tern I had at Girdle Ness last weekend. Felt it was a Roseate at the time but unfortunately contrast between the outer and inner primaries and streamer length didn't entirely add up to said species so have consulted a few people about it; if confirmed as such will add it to the yearlist.

Joseph

Last edited:
Hay Guys,
sadly I only heard the Nightjar:(
Today I saw a Squacco Heron:)
Now I´m now on 208 species without nightjar in 2012.

Tomorrow I start my trip to the eastern part of Germany.

Last edited:
122)House Martin
123)Willow Warbler, finally!
124)Common Crane
125)Hobby
126)Merlin
127)Pied Flycatcher
128)Bittern, took ages to see but after several hours, 4 Bitterns exposed themselves
129)Reed Warbler
130)Sedge Warbler
131)Bearded Tit :-O

Just reached 157 on my year list with latest being Woodlark, Redstart, Tree Pipit and Nightjars at Thursley Common (all seen). The Nightjars performed amazingly and crossed the path in front of us still in good light, see some rubbish video footage on my blog at samuelbirding.blogspot.com

Thanks Joseph for adding me to the year list competition,
Good birding to all

Just rechecked my yearlist and realised I've added Pied and White wagtail to the yearlist as two separate species so (depending on how you count them) I should probably be at 156 not 157.
thanks,
Samuel

Samuel, we use the Bou, search it and you should find the list. It's what most birders use and they monitor the official list. You can tick any birds on Cat A and C for this, as none of us are old enough to count birds in category B.

Still on a high after an amazing twitch last night. Got out of an exam when I got some messages asking about the Orphean. I still hadn't checked RBA, and thought there was a joke- either that or it would be somewhere in Northumberland and I wouldn't be able to get there!
A quick check of RBA proved it was at Hartlepool Headland (A place where I often bird) so a quick phonecall managed to get me organised to go, but not for a while. I packed all my birding kit up and began waiting, praying it would saty, which it did.
Got there and bumped into a few people but it didn't show for the first hour. Someone then called it, flicking around in some
Bushes and I had pretty decent, but short views before it went out of sight for another 15 minutes. It then flicked into view around 5/10 metres away from where I first saw it and gave poor views, before moving deeper into the bush so I only could see part of it. I can't complain though- 6th for Britain and what a bird!

1st) Birding Maniac (UK, Durham) - 217 species
5th) Joseph N (UK, Aberdeenshire) - 173 species
6th) Simmojunior (UK, London) - 165 species
8th) Samuel Perfect (UK, Herts) - 156 species
10th) Ospr3y (USA) - 134 species

Congratulations Michael on getting the Orphean, cracking looking bird. Up to 175 with a migging Cuckoo, and the tern which I had at Girdle Ness with which from the experience of seeing it and there being enough of a consensus on it, can be confirmed as a Roseate.

Joseph

Last edited:
Congratulations Joseph on the Roseate Tern find.

I'm on 174 now after some limited birding during my exam period. Despite having my last exam on Wednesday, I couldn't resist the bus ride to Hartlepool on Tuesday and enjoyed good views of the Orphean. Other recent highlights include Long-billed Dowitcher, Razorbill, Little-ringed Plover and Guillemot.

Hi Guys,

Not been on in a while been rushed of my feet with work.

Arrived at Scourie after a long 14 hour drive.

So hopefully really going to boost my year/life list as I can finally dedicate a full week to birding and photography.

Can't wait to visit Handa Island!!

Anyway I will do an update every night with what I have seen.

Regards
Marcus

1st) Birding Maniac (UK, Durham) - 219 species
5th) Joseph N (UK, Aberdeenshire) - 177 species
6th) Simmojunior (UK, London) - 174 species
8th) Samuel Perfect (UK, Herts) - 156 species
10th) Ospr3y (USA) - 139 species

Cheers Oliver, it was a nice bird. Well done on both the Dowitcher and the Orphean. Enjoy your time up in the North-west Marcus, not surprised you're looking forward to visiting Handa Island and will look forward to hearing more about it.

Up to 177 now with Puffin and Velvet Scoter. I've been doing a lot of birding locally recently but things overall are quite slow up here and since the tern there hasn't been a great deal of compensation. Anyone else feeling the effects of the northerlies?

Joseph

157) Red Kite
158) Stone Curlew
159) Golden Oriole
160) Cuckoo
161) Hobby
162) Bee-eater
163) Red-breasted Flycatcher
164) Red-backed Shrike
---) Savi's Warbler (heard only)

165) Woodlark
166) Tree Pipit

167)Roller
168) Pectoral Sandpiper
169) Curlew Sandpiper
170) Turnstone
171) Grey Plover
---) Marsh Warbler (heard only)

If you're interested a write up for the Norfolk day trip can be found here: http://www.erewashvalleywildlife.org.uk/2012/05/norfolk-in-a-day-2/

Yesterday we took a trip up to see the long-staying Roller in East Yorkshire. Needless to say the bird showed brilliantly and showed very well for all those present. We then took a drive down for the Pec's that had just been found on Spurn's Beacon Ponds, where I was also able to add Curlew Sand' and Little Tern for the year. On the way home we had a quick stop to see if Blacktoft's Marsh Warbler would show, but it was probably too cold and windy, but it did give a brief burst of song.

Also have heard only Savi's and Marsh Warblers, but I'm not counting 'em!

Sam

Edit: It wouldn't let me add any pictures, so some recent ones can be found below. To see those from the Norfolk trip please follow the above link.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back